Gibson Brands Forums

What computer do you use?

Andre S

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Custom built PCs all the way for me.

I just build my own.

Never liked pre-built machines due to the bloatware, and tendency to use some pretty poor quality hardware.

Although if you are prepared to fork out, the high end pre-built workstations can be very good but they can have serious problems like custom power supplies which you can not simply buy from a PC store to replace and probably cost a lot to replace if not under warranty.

Dells but I got my first MacBook Pro and I love it.

I got my first Mac in '95 for home and have been using Windows stuff at work on various IBM and HP platforms at work since about the same time. A little over a year ago, I got my first MacBook Pro (also for home). I'm definitely a Mac man.

I used to build my own... But I just dont do anything at home anymore that requires anything special. The last computer I built for myself was in 2003. I've been using an iPad the last 5 or 6 months. It works well for what I do anymore. At work I use both macs and pc.

I use mostly notebooks and I have both a Macbook Pro and well as a Alienware notebook. I replace the Mac pretty much every two years, the Alienware I upgraded a few months ago rather than replace since it was still pretty competitive.

I also have 2 Mac mini's one that runs all my recording software in the home studio and the other one runs the house with all the lighting controls, Hvac controls and even the security systems and camera's with everything controlled and viewable through my iPhone and/or an iPad. we also have Apple TV on both televisions in the house. My wife has the 27" iMac desktop so were pretty much a Mac house.

I have the Alienware in case I need to do Cad design using AutoCad or if I have to do any work or programming for others. I also have a 6+ year old Panasonic Tough book that runs a CNC Mill I use for making art, it's a workhorse and I love the hardware so I'll never upgrade it unless I have too. All the CNC stuff is pretty slow and mostly based on Parallel port connections so it should be fine as long as I can get replacement parts and drives.

My personal laptop is Acer aspire, I like dell computers though...

I use Mac computers at Uni as they are better for arts (Im doing an art course)...

It annoys me that most programs aren't supported on both Mac and PC or if they are there are small parts of that program that won't..Its just so annoying when i create something in InDesign on PC then open it on Mac and the fonts dont transfer over...Stupid Mac.

Right now for "home" I have a little old netbook, an older notebook used mostly to play music or disasters, one older PC and one year-old PC that has a relatively small HD at 150 gigs.

But... I also have an ancient system 9x Mac I use as a film scanner, period.

The PC may have a small hd, but then I have a couple T-bytes of backup portable hard drives.

I quit building my own basically with the 486 chips. Longer work schedules was largely the reason why. As far as I'm concerned Win XP works as well as I could possibly want for the software I use - and I'm concerned that with some 15 years of stuff that works marvelously well for publication uses, any upgrade of software I'm less familiar with would likely cost me as much as a half dozen top-end desktops.

m

I still build my own PCs (I work in software testing) - I run Linux but I'm posting this on an iPhone. Everyone else in the house uses windows 7. In a month or so we'll be buying a MacBook so we've got a bit of variety to play with

I use a macbook for everything and I also built a PC to use as a media player.

Andre S user_popup.png

Posted Today, 07:20 AM

snapback.pngChanMan, on 28 August 2011 - 06:50 AM, said:

Build my own.

Win 7 box... Intel E 8500 3.16GHz, nVidia 260 gtx and 6 G of Ram... 2 terabytes of HD space... all in an old Alienware ALX case :D

Very cool. So where did you learn? At a course? Online? Or?

To build a PC you just have to buy the right parts and put them together, google should provide you with all the info you will ever need on that, I think... msp_biggrin.gif

I used to build my own. My last home built lasted me 6 years before the drywall dust killed it. I just replaced it with an off the shelf HP for two reasons. Right now I don't have the time to build a PC and frankly I can't build one for less that they cost off the shelf these days.

I use a macbook for everything and I also built a PC to use as a media player.

To build a PC you just have to buy the right parts and put them together, google should provide you with all the info you will ever need on that, I think... msp_biggrin.gif

Of course it does. lol

How could I forget.

:rolleyes:

Still pretty cool though.

Archived