Gibson Brands Forums

Some Interesting Changes ...

midiman56

I got my hands on a copy of the Epiphone 2012 catalog today, and as I was GASily going through it page-by-page, I noticed that there were some pretty big changes to the Prophecy line of guitars!

For starters, it seems that only the Les Paul models are being carried forward ... and they have undergone some rather big changes:

- Four knobs instead of the original two.

- New fret and headstock inlays.

- New pickups on the GX model.

- A hardshell case is now included.

Here are scans from the catalog page including pics of the guitars and Epi's write-up on both models:

2011EpiphoneProphecy.jpg

2011EpiphoneProphecyDetails.jpg

I guess the changes are fine. I suppose anyone that found the original design to be a little "over the top" might find the "Sheraton" inlays more appealing. I do feel that the change away from the Gibson "Dirty Fingers" pickups on the GX model is a mistake, however, as I found them to be the very heart of this guitar.

I'm curious as to your thoughts. Is it a better guitar now? Worse? No change in your opinion?

Jim

Don't like the finish of them....the Prophecy has a finish similar to my kitchen bench top.

But at least they have decent pickups installed unlike a students Epiphone standard.

Boy did it sound bad :(

Even when using a JCM-800

I am NOT the type that would really appreciate a Prophesy model, but I find those very appealing.

I think there is something cool and tasteful about mixing trim from one model to another. I think it is a nice option. I think I actually like the GX version better than a Gibson style Custom inlay package.

And if I ever decided I wanted to dye my hair purple or black and put a bone through my nose, I could get with the black one.

Disclaimer: there is not any hair on top to dye, but I could powder it white.

I dont pay any attention to the EX geets, because i don't have any desire to get involved with batteries in guitars . . .it just seems wrong to me. I have always liked the LP and SG GX thougt, i think they went the right direction with the four knobs and the inlay situation, but i wish they'd only changed that, and kept the dirty fingers . . . But . . .these puckups are cheaper aren't they? Maybe a bit of a price drop? If so, i might have to consider one of these in the future...

And btw, are the electronics in the prophecy series standard Epi, or are they higher quality, like in Epi's recent limited editions (60's tribute etc.) ?

I've thought about picking up the Les Paul Prophecy GX but haven't for 2 reasons. First (and definitely first) is my more "financially responsible" wife. Second is that I kind of felt that as an owner of a SG Prophecy GX that I would be better off looking for something else that would add a little more variety to my small collection. I love the SG version and I'm sure that I would love the Les Paul version too but it's a little easier for me to justify spending the money on the new model. I've always felt that I would prefer 4 knobs so that's definitely a plus. I've never played a guitar with the 490R and 498T pickups so the jury is out there until I play one. Now to try one out and then convince the wife.

I'm guessing it was a pricing thing.. Gibson raised the price of all their pickups a few months back, so the Dirty Fingers are about 140ish last I looked. When I picked one up about a year ago used, I checked price online and it was 119.99 new then. I'm guessing it's about cash (as it always seems to be). But hey, at least it's not as bad as Fender discontinuing the Squier '51 then releasing it as a Fender for hundreds more since it sold so well in the used market..

it's not as bad as Fender discontinuing the Squier '51 then releasing it as a Fender for hundreds more since it sold so well in the used market..

Totally ignore the fact that the Squier '51 was made in Mirconesistan and the new Fender '51 is Japanese made.

What... no Dirty Fingers, they MADE that guitar and are superb for high output buckers, too bad they were dropped.

I gotta agree with you on that point, James. Seems like they took the "balz" out of the GX with that change. Nothing wrong with the 490/498 combo ... just nothing particularly "Prophecy" about them either.

As for the other cosmetic changes, I guess I can take or leave them. I obviously liked the look of the originals, having bought both the Les Paul and the SG. Epiphone has clearly decided to go more "main stream" with the line.

Jim

Archived