Gibson Brands Forums

I can't believe I'm asking about CAPOS lol

swleary

I'm currently looking for a Capo but having problems understanding what they really are and what makes a good one or who makes a good one. I see planet waves a ton of them but not sure.

Curently looking for one that goes from my SG to my GF's daughters acoustic.

I've got a schubb that I use from time to time, it really does a good job with adjustable tension to keep you from going sharp. A lot of people also use kysers and opinions are pretty good about them, they're good for quick changes and 1 handed operation.

I've got a schubb that I use from time to time, it really does a good job with adjustable tension to keep you from going sharp. A lot of people also use kysers and opinions are pretty good about them, they're good for quick changes and 1 handed operation.

Schubbs are highly regarded, I like Kysers.

I use Shubb cause it uses little space and it works great, works on all my guitars. I also like the dunlop trigger capo, gets the job done, but mine eventually wore

out after about a year of heavy use, so I switched to shubb last year, Im still on the same one, its working great [thumbup]

There are so many out there and it's mostly about how they feel as almost anything will work, even a stick with an elastic band can work in a pinch. I like the Kyser specialty ones like a drop D or there open G I use both of those usually in a acoustic set.

I also really like the G7 performance capo easy to put on a hold well especially like this brand for my twelve string.

That said my favorite capo's are the Paige model especially the Paige Click a little harder to put on but small and light weight and can be adjusted to hold better than anything else I use them on guitar, mandolin and even the rare times I play a banjo.

A pencil and a few rubber bands work pretty well. But if you want something more reliable then just about any Dunlop, Planet Waves, Kyser, Schubb, or whatever should work. All you want it to do is hold the strings down so the don't slip, turning a Fret into a Nut.

If you're going to Bend a lot with your capo on, you might as well Buy two of them now. That's the way Jimmy Vaughan does it.

Also you have to ask yourself, "Do I want a good Solid Capo or a Capo that comes off easy". I prefer the Dunlop Trigger type because I don't often leave a capo on for an entire song, but if you're more into the James Taylor thing you might want one that Clamps tighter.

I've got a batch of Kysers but really, the rubber band cheapies work as well and let you lift a bit to get things back in tune. I've got them in a couple cases even with the Kyser there.

On a classical I still have my original "bought it for Flamenco" rosewood capo. Bought it in 1963, still works like a champ. Just the rubber band cheapie for the banjo.

I've tried lots of different kinds. A lot of 'em got dumped because the various "rubber" parts gave out.

Actually the capo does well if you're playing and singing... Or note that some blues guys like the capo way up and do a lotta playing in root position. There are "folkie" sounds that only work with certain root positions, and to sing along you may wanna pull up the capo...

What they really are is a finger that stays glued down on the fingerboard so you have four fingers to do root chords. Or some of the shorties can give alternative tunings by hitting just some strings. There's even a brand or two with settings different for each string so you can do alternate tunings.

Playing a "root" G or C position at the fifth fret can be done, but it's a lot easier and cleaner with a capo.

m

Milo - I used to avoid using a Capo. when I was young dad told me it was cheating so.......

Then I met a Banjo/Mandolin player friend of mine who started showing me Bluegrass. Not just some Bluesgrass tunes, but the concept and traditions connected to Bluegrass and other types of southern Folk Music. Suddenly the Capo became an indisposable tool.

Vers... yes on the more "modern" version of capos.

The "rubber band" versions don't seem to be as sensitive as the spring-loaded metal versions.

Another point, if you're playing a 12-string, ensure you get a 12-string model both for width of the capo/fingerboard and for a bit more spring.

m

Archived