Gibson Brands Forums

Mountain Men, please educate this Flat Lander

TommyK

My Daughter and SIL will be traveling from the mid-west to Washington State. They are driving and will be traveling the last week of October.

As a Dad, I want to give them some advice, but I have never been west of Kansas City. Southern Missouri is the most 'mountainous' state I've driven in.

The hyper cautious side of me says to take a more southerly route into California, then drive up the coast. But the southern route will have more miles of mountains to drive through than a northern route through Montana.

What advice would you give these kids for driving through the Rockies. I understand they could run into snow, etc. Should they buy a set of tire chains? Is it too early in the season to worry about road conditions?

My daughter intends to also return for Christmas. I want to lobby against driving. Am I just a Worry Wart?

I'm from the flat a$$ east coast. There is nothing better than driving this country, and I think it should always be encouraged. If they plan the route, they'll know what passes they will use to get through the mountains, they'll know if they need to chain up or not. Have a set in the trunk, try to follow local news if you can, see what is coming, and use the phone numbers posted on most sections of our interstate system, they'll tell you at least where NOT to go.

Driving this country is just awesome. I hope they get to do it!

rct

Got all excited and didn't answer.

I'd use the 94 thru Idaho up that way, get the road alongside Columbia River, out to Portland, beyond to the coast and up that way. Some eye-popping beautiful.

South to CA is good, then up, especially if they use the PCH. Serious sightseeing, no matter which way you go, allow time for gaaahhhhh stops.

rct

I have made this trip several times and it can be expensive by doing the Missouri/Kansas to California and then I-5 north to Washington.The more direct route is Kansas to Denver, Utah and the more northernly route-Last time I did it it was about 1800 miles and fuel was cheaper then. Missouri-Kansas-Colorado-Wyoming-Idaho-Washington is definitely the most expedient route-going to California and then north adds expense and considerable time to the trip. Late October is not too bad, as you get into November Wyoming can wind up being a real memory with the weather getting colder-Cheyenne-Laramie is a straight shot,keep in mind that hunting season is at this time of year so be aware of that. Hope they have a great trip,There will be some real altitude changes along the way but it is a interesting trip! Just keep aware of weather forecasts!

Have a good trip. ..a seasoned washingtonian

sounds awesome there i would love to come over and check your country out.. some of that region with the desert and the mountains looks awesome. i got a mate in utah hes a top bloke to might go over and visit some time..we spend more time dodging kangaroos and various marsupial wildlife driving out here in australia its a huge country with hardly any one living here..good luck with your road trip [thumbup]

It's a auto trans. Shift it down?. If she starts to red line, brakes?.. I guess that's the only option.

In case it matters, they're driving a Honda FIT with paddle shifters. Mom, Dad, 2 kids, 2 dogs, and luggage for a week.

It's a one way trip. Moving.

My old Honda Accord Wagon is an automatic. The shifter reads 1,2,D3,D4,. When I decend a long grade I usually keep in it D3 and use the breaks only when the RPM is getting too high for my ears. I don't know much about the Fit. The point is to keep from burning up the breaks. Perhaps it's over kill on so small a car but I used to drive big trucks a long time ago and it's a habbit I still have.

My advice. Tell her to go the Norther Routes, it's a lot more Beautiful than the Deserts. Then just sit back, let her white knuckle her way through some of those winding roads. After a 20 or so miles she'll get comfortable with it and be giving you advice on driving....Flatlander [flapper]

Seriously, Mountain Driving in clear weather is not as dangerous as you might think. You Car will like it better if you drive in D3 if you Tranny has it. If it's your typical 1-2-D-R-P, regular drive will drive just fine.

P.S. I wasn't just Born and Raised in the Mountains, I've driven through Utah, the Sierra Nevada's, the Smokey's...I learned to drive on Icy Mountain Roads.

My Daughter and SIL will be traveling from the mid-west to Washington State. They are driving and will be traveling the last week of October.

As a Dad, I want to give them some advice, but I have never been west of Kansas City. Southern Missouri is the most 'mountainous' state I've driven in.

The hyper cautious side of me says to take a more southerly route into California, then drive up the coast. But the southern route will have more miles of mountains to drive through than a northern route through Montana.

What advice would you give these kids for driving through the Rockies. I understand they could run into snow, etc. Should they buy a set of tire chains? Is it too early in the season to worry about road conditions?

My daughter intends to also return for Christmas. I want to lobby against driving. Am I just a Worry Wart?

Then you've never seen Western Kansas, some of the flattest and most boring landscape you will see. Except during pheasant season... Anyways the guys already posted a good route to take, I'd definitely take a Northern route over a Southern. Searcy is giving you a great tip on using your engine to brake on a steep incline, I would definitely heed his advice.

Tom.

I live in Idaho now, I have lived in Washington state, Oregon, Utah and Calif...where are they going in Washington? That would determine which route to take...if they are driving in Oct. I wouldn't worry too much about snow in the mountains.

If they want to do some sight seeing or if they are in a hurry to get someplace would also determine which way to go..let me know..

Two factors here: 1) keeping track of weather and 2) consideration of driving skill.

Actually we've had nearby frost already, and I'm only a bit over 3,000 feet. Back east, that's high mountains, here it's just high plains and nice little stuff like the Black Hills of South Dakota.

I've seen blizzard conditions in mid to late October and gorgeous traveling weather well into December. The plains can be more deceptive and therefore dangerous to newbies than the mountains. Always have a winter survival kit. If you don't know what it is, read up and make one up. Anywhere west of the Missouri and east of the Pacific could leave you without help for a day or two or even more.

The Interstate across Nebraska through Wyoming and then decisions in Utah is pretty easy up to that point even in crappy weather although black ice always can be a concern if it gets misty/rainy. That's worse than snow. Running up through South or North Dakota to take the northern Interstate route is okay too, although I've not taken it much farther west than Billings.

My opinion is that lack of situational awareness is probably the biggest problem for flatlanders getting into high/winding mountain stuff. Frankly I'm mostly a real flatlander. But I've driven a few mountain roads east and west and I'm unfortunately very aware of ice driving challenges.

Always consider an escape route. For example, I remember coming down east from Yellowstone on glare ice with a nasty drop on the right side, a stone wall on the left and a nice curve to the left down the hill a ways. Even 25 mph was too fast and I couldn't brake safely without losing it. So... cliff, here I come. The shallow ditch gave enough extra traction to keep going nice and slowly and I didn't have to sideswipe the cliff. I also did it when I knew I had a degree of control instead of waiting until I learned the hard way I didn't.

511 usually gets a highway condition phone message to your cell - although once you're away from towns even on the Interstate it may not work.

http://www.safetravelusa.com/ does quite well. You'll even find highway cams available to see what it's like where you're going.

Never hurry. Don't rush even if you can see 30 miles on high plains if it's misty at all. It could be black ice. If weather looks nasty, ask the locals. If all the trucks are holding at a truck stop, find a motel, and quickly.

If you're getting scared by the weather and road conditions, it's probably better to stop a night or two or more. Getting an adrenalin rush when you need cool control is not to your advantage. It's kinda like sailboating: Folks who don't rush tend to just plain get there when others might not...

RE: Christmas. My Bro in Seattle flies home for the holidays in the Black Hills area. He's a better mountain driver than I am, I'm certain, and has a good mountain vehicle.

m

Driven up the Kaibab Plateau to North Rim of the Grand Canyon in blizzards. In June. Twice. Been on the Trail Ridge at the top of Rocky Mountain National Park, highest paved road in the continental states, closed on the way down because of blizzard. In June. Was in Idaho headed to Oregon May of 2010, had an inch of snow on the car when we got up in the morning, washed away by torrential rain in western Idaho, and was about 68 degrees by the time we got to the Columbia River. Went up Mount Hood and stayed at the Timberline. Got about 28 inches of snow over night, May 4th of 2010. That trip ended in mid June, southern Colorado at Sand Dunes. Awesome storms in that valley, ankle deep hail almost every day!

Weather out west is awesome. I'm like a slack jawed kid in a candy store out there.

rct

I live in the rolling Appalachain foothills, plenty of long+steep grades.......

preventive maintenance on the cooling system, and make certain the emergency brakes stop the car by themselves, in case the ole' brake pedal sinks to the floor on a steep downgrade (happened to me in a '74 CJ5 V8 Renegade Jeep, NOT fun at all)

... When I decend a long grade I usually keep in it D3 and use the breaks only when the RPM is getting too high for my ears. ... The point is to keep from burning up the breaks. ...

I'll pass this along

Tom.

I live in Idaho now, I have lived in Washington state, Oregon, Utah and Calif...where are they going in Washington? That would determine which route to take...if they are driving in Oct. I wouldn't worry too much about snow in the mountains.

If they want to do some sight seeing or if they are in a hurry to get someplace would also determine which way to go..let me know..

Tacoma. Not planning to do much 'sight seeing' other than an occaisional leg stretcher that might involve some over-look. They'll probably be driving within a stone's throw of Mt.Rushmore, but they decided to spend more time with us (awwwww) than to go to see dead presidents.

Always have a winter survival kit. If you don't know what it is, read up and make one up. Anywhere west of the Missouri and east of the Pacific could leave you without help for a day or two or even more.

Roger that. In Illinois we are cognisent of winter survival kits, but don't usually get serious about them until about Thanksgiving time.

511 usually gets a highway condition phone message to your cell - although once you're away from towns even on the Interstate it may not work.

Yeah, I'll remind them that they are in the land of "You can't hear me now."

http://www.safetravelusa.com/ does quite well. You'll even find highway cams available to see what it's like where you're going.

Never hurry. Don't rush even if you can see 30 miles on high plains if it's misty at all. It could be black ice. If weather looks nasty, ask the locals. If all the trucks are holding at a truck stop, find a motel, and quickly.

If you're getting scared by the weather and road conditions, it's probably better to stop a night or two or more. Getting an adrenalin rush when you need cool control is not to your advantage.

Excellent idea, a big 10-4 on that. If the pros call it quits, it's time to follow their lead.

m

You reckon they should get a set of tire chains? Where is a good place to get them for an automobile and not get held up? To be honest tire chains are not legal in the State of Illinois, as tire chain conditions are few and seldom between. You just stay home and wait for the snow plow and salt when it gets that bad. Therefore, they don't sell them in Illinois.

The SIL has been in the Army for about 6 years and driven a lot of big and small vehicles. He grew up in Northern Illinois, which uniquely qualifies one to be considered and expert on driving on ice, unless one lives in the NE part of the state. They seem to forget from year to year. They have been in Germany for about 3 years, Not sure how much mountain driving they've done. We made a foray into the Bavarian alps when we were there. I wouldn't categorize the mountain driving in Bavaria as white knuckle driving. They don't usually build roads over The Alps. They build through the mountains.

Their plan is to spend a few weeks with us, then allow themselves a week to get to Tacoma, so they won't be in a BIG hurry.

It should be a great trip. If they are as far north as Mt. Rushmore in the beginning of the trip I would definitely tell them to go the northern route unless they feel like going so far out of the way for sightseeing (doesn't sound like that is the overall plan). I drove from north of Seattle to Santa Barbara last year and it took 3 days just to drive that part!

It should be a great trip. If they are as far north as Mt. Rushmore in the beginning of the trip I would definitely tell them to go the northern route unless they feel like going so far out of the way for sightseeing (doesn't sound like that is the overall plan). I drove from north of Seattle to Santa Barbara last year and it took 3 days just to drive that part!

Probably due to traffic congestion, I'm guessing.

I will be recommending the northern route to minimize the mountain driving. However, my daughter has a friend in Denver she wants to see. I'm going to lobby against that just because it puts them in the mountains for so many more miles. I think they WOULD do the Rushmore thing as, miles wise, it's not that far out of the way, but once you get there, you have to spend TIME, which they want to minimize. They will probably do that trip when the kids are a bit bigger and can appreciate it.

Tommy...

My little bro literally could hit the back of Rushmore with a 105. I'm about 90 minutes from there and 10 minutes off I-90 on the western side of Rushmore. Message me backchannel if I can do anybody any good.

m

Archived