Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: New Gibson Les Paul R8 VOS

bluesguitar65

Got this baby for a price of a Trad pro. Brand new with case. The camera's flash did not do justice on the color, but I took some without the flash to show the natural true color and finish. I had to sneak this one in the house from my Mrs. [flapper] [flapper] [flapper] [flapper]

These four pics taken without any flash:

pa050177.jpg

By bluesguitar65 at 2011-10-05

pa050176.jpg

pa050175.jpg

pa050174.jpg

These pics below taken with flash: Finish seems bright and off in these pictures.

pa050173.jpg

Now some pics with a Fender Strat I purchased just yesterday.

pa050172.jpg

pa050171.jpg

pa050162.jpg

pa050161.jpg

Sweet that you got a Lifton with it. That's about what the going rate was for them back in 2006.

Thanks R9! So you think I got a 2006, which may explain it was in clearance? The sales guy said they had this guitar in the store for so long and they needed to drop the price enough to move it. The only thing, is that they could not find the COA and they said they would have to send the guitar back to Gibson Custom shop free of charge to me if I want a copy of the COA. Gibson must physically inspect the guitar and verify it before issuing a COA was what the sales person told me. He said I can give it back to them to ship back to Gibson Custom Shop anytime when I'm ready. So was the price good? Thanks!

It's a 2006 and I think you got it at a good price. You got a new '06 R8 for the price of a used one and you get the warranty. That Lifton is also worth around $400. If I were you, I would take the guitar in and have them get you the COA asap. They may not honor that commitment if you take too long to act.

Funny, my Easton SG was NOS and also sat in a store for 5 years. It's a great sounding guitar but why it sat unsold for so long is beyond me. You're probably thinking the same about this R8 now.

It's a 2006 and I think you got it at a good price. You got a new '06 R8 for the price of a used one and you get the warranty. That Lifton is also worth around $400. If I were you, I would take the guitar in and have them get you the COA asap. They may not honor that commitment if you take too long to act.

Funny, my Easton SG was NOS and also sat in a store for 5 years. It's a great sounding guitar but why it sat unsold for so long is beyond me. You're probably thinking the same about this R8 now.

I may just do that. I will also call Gibson tomorrow and give them the serial to verify the year and if the guitar was registered before. Thanks!

I was playing her today and compared her with other R8 VOS plaintops and I just realized that the toggle switch cap is wrong for this guitar. Shouldn't it be an amber instead of white or off white? I bet it got switched or lost and those guys at GC just put some toggle switch cap off an epiphone or gibson studio.

You think Gibson can send me the right one?

UPDATE:

GIBSON IS THE BEST..............P E R I O D!!!!

I just spoke to customer serivice, gave them the serial number and they will send me replacement toggle switch cap specifically for this guitar and a custom shop care kit!!! [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

He was even shocked on how much I paid for it and he confirmed that the guitar has never been registered and was sold to guitar center. So its most likely the guitar had been in the back room all these years and they found it and priced it so low to sell. I was a bit puzzled why a 2006 R8 had been in the store for so long and never sold. Perhaps, the forgotten guitar in the back room theory would be likely here?

Archived