Gibson Brands Forums

maybe i'm not cut out for online interaction...

S t e v e

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh Yeah!

Actually, Steve, you're far to reserved with your opinions for my taste. Sure, you let everyone know you Don't like Pink Floyd, but you only mention it in like one or two sentences. You need to go on and on about it like there's a darn good reason you don't like Pink Floyd. In fact you have so much evidence that Pink Floyd sucks you can't understand why everyone doesn't agree with you.

Use numbers, big words, and useless facts to bolster your opinion. Like, "I just don't "Think" they're boring, I mean, they never do any song over 100BPM, and usually average about 6BPM. Then there's the long delays, everyone know long delays put baby's to sleep. And who writes in B minor expecting to be exciting. Look at the Boring Stuff that's been written in B minor. Hotel California, Tin Pan Alley, Straight On...all boring (notice here, I brought some other very popular and well liked songs for examples of bad songs, a little side trollin', or "Chumming" if you will). And finally, English bands try to be boring, so even Pink Floyd knows they're boring (here I insulted an entire Country, if that doesn't rile 'em up, nothing will)!

To top it all off, the gratuitous "IMO". This is the Kings X of Trolling. So long as you mention it's your opinion that's coming out of your A$$ no one can debate you! (On a side note, don't you think stuff like "IMO" or "I Could Be Wrong But" are redundant. Of course it's My Opinion, it's coming from me, and of course I Could Be Wrong, I'm human and therefore Fallible. Duh!!)

mean spirited?, i am one of the nicest people you could ever meet...maybe expressing my opinion doesn't come across very well when it's read in text format? :unsure:

We're not discussing your real life, it's your on-line ,virtual persona that is at issue. That part is mean-spirited. And you seem to know exactly what it is you do. A self-proclaimed troll knows what he is doing.

Oh Yeah!

Actually, Steve, you're far to reserved with your opinions for my taste. Sure, you let everyone know you Don't like Pink Floyd, but you only mention it in like one or two sentences. You need to go on and on about it like there's a darn good reason you don't like Pink Floyd. In fact you have so much evidence that Pink Floyd sucks you can't understand why everyone doesn't agree with you.

Use numbers, big words, and useless facts to bolster your opinion. Like, "I just don't "Think" they're boring, I mean, they never do any song over 100BPM, and usually average about 6BPM. Then there's the long delays, everyone know long delays put baby's to sleep. And who writes in B minor expecting to be exciting. Look at the Boring Stuff that's been written in B minor. Hotel California, Tin Pan Alley, Straight On...all boring (notice here, I brought some other very popular and well liked songs for examples of bad songs, a little side trollin', or "Chumming" if you will). And finally, English bands try to be boring, so even Pink Floyd knows they're boring (here I insulted an entire Country, if that doesn't rile 'em up, nothing will)!

To top it all off, the gratuitous "IMO". This is the Kings X of Trolling. So long as you mention it's your opinion that's coming out of your A$ no one can debate you! (On a side note, don't you think stuff like "IMO" or "I Could Be Wrong But" are redundant. Of course it's My Opinion, it's coming from me, and of course I Could Be Wrong, I'm human and therefore Fallible. Duh!!)

LMAO!!!!!

I don't get this. As far as I can tell Steve doesn't have a mean bone in his body. A great sense of humour, yes, ability to laugh at him self, yes. Perhaps it's the British sense of humour. I once offended someone on here with a through away faux insult that clearly didn't come across that way. We Brits can be a bit OTT to other nationalities, we insult each other as national past time, just for fun, it's kind of a sign of affection.

You quoted me on this response but I am not sure how exactly you misunderstood my post [confused]

And finally, English bands try to be boring, so even Pink Floyd knows they're boring (here I insulted an entire Country, if that doesn't rile 'em up, nothing will)!

Considering how much larger the US is in size there should be at least 5 times as many classic bands from the U.S.A; yet since the birth of rock n roll (and consequently 'popular music'), the U.K have produced a far greater quantity (and more importantly quality) of great bands . [thumbup] You can keep David Lee Roth and his ilk, I'll take David Bowie any day! [flapper]

EDIT - off topic - since i changed my profile pic Raj's head has become all stretched like elastic man!!! LMAO

Matt

Guest farnsbarns

You quoted me on this response but I am not sure how exactly you misunderstood my post [confused]

Well, in the context of a discussion about Steve I assume that's who you were referring to, maybe not? Either way I disagree, neither fora, nor driving, turns people in to A holes, they were already A holes, just cowardly ones. :P

I think a lot has to do with the limitations of the written word compared to the face-to-face spoken word. Some also has to do with perceptions of others' personality that's only seen here in written language snapshots.

On my history/philosophy forum, for example, There are two close friends who live a couple of hours from each other. One is black, one white. In fact, the white guy moved from the UK as a young man to embrace U.S. culture some 40 years ago or so. Anyway, they were joking about going to a meeting together and whether they white guy would bring his KKK hood and the black guy his "Black Panther" beret. That exchange brought serious accusations of racism to both, even though both are among the least racist folks I know and they are great friends.

So... I think it's simply a difficulty we all need to work through. It also means first giving the other the benefit of the doubt in terms of whether they're being nasty by intent or simply using language as they normally do among friends. And yes, I think it may be more difficult for the Brits here on several grounds involving language culture.

OTOH, yeah, I think if we were all around a table with a coffee, tea or beer, it would be a rather different situation since we could see facial and body language cues that add far more to conversation than we usually credit on a forum such as this.

I also note there have been a few apologies for comments made under the influence that were at minimum unkind.

m

Guest farnsbarns

I think a lot has to do with the limitations of the written word compared to the face-to-face spoken word. Some also has to do with perceptions of others' personality that's only seen here in written language snapshots.

On my history/philosophy forum, for example, There are two close friends who live a couple of hours from each other. One is black, one white. In fact, the white guy moved from the UK as a young man to embrace U.S. culture some 40 years ago or so. Anyway, they were joking about going to a meeting together and whether they white guy would bring his KKK hood and the black guy his "Black Panther" beret. That exchange brought serious accusations of racism to both, even though both are among the least racist folks I know and they are great friends.

So... I think it's simply a difficulty we all need to work through. It also means first giving the other the benefit of the doubt in terms of whether they're being nasty by intent or simply using language as they normally do among friends. And yes, I think it may be more difficult for the Brits here on several grounds involving language culture.

OTOH, yeah, I think if we were all around a table with a coffee, tea or beer, it would be a rather different situation since we could see facial and body language cues that add far more to conversation than we usually credit on a forum such as this.

I also note there have been a few apologies for comments made under the influence that were at minimum unkind.

m

As always, the wise old guy nails it. I do think us Brits bring it on ourselves by opening up with both barrels on people we must know may not see it as the deliberately over zealous back slap that it is meant to be. Funny though, the Germans seem to not only get it, but love it. The young Germans I know are just the same as us in that respect.

As always, the wise old guy nails it. I do think us Brits bring it on ourselves by opening up with both barrels on people we must know may not see it as the deliberately over zealous back slap that it is meant to be. Funny though, the Germans seem to not only get it, but love it. The young Germans I know are just the same as us in that respect.

The Germans and their sense of humor confuse me.

I did some work in a factory run by Germans and every time I told a joke, they just had no expression at all to it. Not that all my jokes are funny, but I couldn't even get a smile.

Either they had the sense of humor of a fence post, or like the stuff they build, the QUALITY of the humor they are used to is such a high standard I had no effect.

+1 Charlie and cheers to Milo

Milo also can dish it out, take it back in return, offer some great insights into discussions and all the while being damn polite. I rather what he says about it being okay to disagree, but it not being okay to be disagreeable.

re the original post

I completely get Steve's humour - and can see the friendliness underneath what he writes. While I am reading it, my subconscious hears/understands the British jokes that just seem so obvious to 'us lot', but clearly not always to others'. I am the internets biggest fan and love that I am able to hear people playing their latest riff all these thousands of miles away, it is nothing short of miraculous! I also love the opportunities to meet friends and make contacts, what does frustrate me however is the way things are lost in translation - all those little inflections often damn lost!

oh well off to practice my guitar, crack open a beer and watch some DVDS!

Matt

I can sense that, but in real life I believe Steve is hetero. msp_tongue.gif

I assumed he was homosexual until quite recently too (Patrick not Steve LOL), but he has had three wives and has kids also - I have heard a few stories he is a ladies man too!!

The bridge is yours number 1!! :)

Matt

I assumed he was homosexual until quite recently too (Patrick not Steve LOL), but he has had three wives and has kids also - I have heard a few stories he is a ladies man too!!

Matt

Aren't all British actors a bit fruity? Not saying they are all exclusively homosexual, but I bet plenty of them don't mind helping them out when they're busy.

Matt

It isn't really the POPULAR view, but it is a fact that bald men do VERY well in that area. I'm not talking about simply shaved heads, but NATURALLY smooth on the top.

It is the genetics and physical make up that causes the head to be bald that also causes other phenomena that we posses that makes us so capable and qualified in male/female interactions.

The only explanation for a "rumor" that Mr. Steward would be gay (cause I don't see it) would be fear. I will add here that there is nothing to be afraid of, because bald men are generally good people as well, and usually have no desire to take from others or get more than our fair share.

The Germans and their sense of humor confuse me.

I did some work in a factory run by Germans and every time I told a joke, they just had no expression at all to it. Not that all my jokes are funny, but I couldn't even get a smile.

Either they had the sense of humor of a fence post, or like the stuff they build, the QUALITY of the humor they are used to is such a high standard I had no effect.

I'm German........100%.......Born there.......I do NOT find your post funny at all.....Where's that REPORT BUTTON.......[lol] [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol] .....

I still like guitars, turtles, Paul Gilbert, hot girls with tattoos. And Steve.

To whoever said "Mean spirited," which thread were you reading? I guess if you don't interact with Steve outside the forum, you won't get his sense of humor.

Some people just need to up their dose of Midol [flapper] It's the Interwebz...don't take things personally. Most of the teasing and back and forth here is in good fun. There's really only one super @$$hole here, IMO.

STEVE rocks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will always find it funny when ANYONE falls for his bait !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And yeah, on my next trip to London, I hope to meet him, and toss down a six pack of large vodka bottles........

Getting in on the conversation late. I would say a lot is the difference in English vs. The States culture somewhat. But, I also agree with the stuff about what are called "softening statements" like was mentioned with IMO or Ben Franklin's famous one, IMHO. To you Brits, Ben was one during the Revolutionary war. Wooops, can we talk about that? [scared]

Seriously, it is fine to have open discussions, of real & deep topics even, if people attack only the topic or issues, not the other people. Sometimes hard to do, but I don't think that anyone here, that I've read writting, really wants to hurt anyone else. I truly believe this, no matter how wrong they might be with their cockamamie beliefs or value system. [flapper] Pink Floyd sucks, man where did you go to school? Whatamotta U? They might all be di.. heads but they were talented di.. heads with great songs. Just like one of my favs of all times. John Lennon. A fantastic genius and singer/writer. But, from everything I've been able to read about the way he acted or treated others, I wouldn't want to have him as a friend and esp. as my Dad.

Aster

Steve:

Nobody will ever like nor respect you until you get rid of your Children of Bodom and Bullet for my Valentine albums.

If you'd like, I could send you my Akercocke, Emperor and Obituary albums, but I'm afraid that overseas postage is a little expensive... [unsure]

Love ya Steve--one of the coolest guys here IMO! Don't let anything stop you. [thumbup]

Considering how much larger the US is in size there should be at least 5 times as many classic bands from the U.S.A; yet since the birth of rock n roll (and consequently 'popular music'), the U.K have produced a far greater quantity (and more importantly quality) of great bands . [thumbup] You can keep David Lee Roth and his ilk, I'll take David Bowie any day! [flapper]

EDIT - off topic - since i changed my profile pic Raj's head has become all stretched like elastic man!!! LMAO

Matt

Ok, you guys may have Rock and Roll, but you got nothing on U.S. Blues. [flapper]

Archived