Gibson Brands Forums

B.B.C. view of the raids issue.

pauloon

I don't know man. He was at yet another "luncheon" in DC today, flapping on about it. I don't get the non stop speech making. Doesn't he pay lawyers to go to court and do these things? Somethin ain't right about all of it, and I'll bet when it's all washed out, he's in it up to his a$$. This company, yes, you looking down at this post, you guys better not be on yer way out and hanging on to any and every excuse you can for poorly managing one of the last great american guitar companies into the dirt.

rct

I find the interesting point that Greenpeace doesn't even believe the wood illegally harvested.

That leaves "is the paperwork okay on legally harvested wood," not "did Gibson illegally get wood from India" or "did Gibson buy wood knowing that their paperwork was an eighth of an inch off thereby making the purchase perhaps illegal under some interpretations of a remodeled law still untested in court?"

My understanding from earlier material is that a name of a trader in potentially illegally harvested wood flagged enforcement to Gibson; but it appears there's no proof of anything or charges would have been filed a year or two ago. Instead, we have limbo. There still are no charges filed.

Seriously, it does look suspiciously like selective enforcement, especially if HenryJ does have proof from the Indian government that the wood was purchased legally.

Now, as to selective enforcement, there's no question in anybody's mind who has been around any sort of law enforcement that selective enforcement exists.

Stop me for a bad headlight and I thank the officer if I didn't know and I'll smile and tell the officer I knew and planned to replace it the next day. Odds are I'll get a warning ticket or at worst, a ticket charging me with a bad headlight. Tell the officer that he's a jerk for slowing you down and that it's no big deal and that he's scum... odds are you may discover how many other traffic offenses you're guilty of besides the headlight.

My question frankly is what might have brought this situation up in the first place. If it's just the question of a name on some earlier paperwork, and no hard evidence of wrongdoing, it seems the confiscation of woods and computers, closed-door interrogations, etc., are really pushing the envelope.

As to the so-called tea party... they're still largely a bunch of townsfolk lefties.

m

Every country has it's flaws of course, but I do like (on the whole) the non partisan way things are conveyed in the U.K news stories. That was a good example [thumbup]

Matt

Of corse, why would a Brit have issue with a "tea" party? You win either way.

Of corse, why would a Brit have issue with a "tea" party? You win either way.

My lovely Stein, a modern update. Britain has moved on in the last sixty years [biggrin], it was a mixed genetic bag anyway, going back 700000 years (yep seven hundred thousand years), but now it has moved on again. People drink more variations of coffees than teas, many people (me included) don't drink either!

The phrase 'being typically British' means being 'typically any country' or being typically anything nowadays.

So it is inaccurate, to 'zero in' on a relatively miniscule time frame looking at it's customs etc - and then think that is what defines it as a nation for ever more. In it's long history it has played probably every role; from villain to hero, from fallen nation to world power to land of anything goes LOL (what a great replacement for land of hope and glory!!!!). It's long history, diversity and culture is what makes it an awesome place to live.

Matt

Archived