Gibson Brands Forums

Number #1 best looking Gibson

Eyecon

After one day it's a three some ( pun intended ). The SJ200 both in Sunburst & Natural and the 'Bird all tied with seven (7) votes each.

Sorry I didn't include others, just wanted to stick to the models most people own.

Which will own the title of "Best Looking Gibby"?

Keep those votes coming!

I don't know if it's the "best looking", but JT's Loar L-5 is definitely in a class by itself. Anyone who gets to play such a guitar is very fortunate. Please JT, take a second to tell us about that guitar, its sound (tonal characteristics), playability, and its "story".... How did you come by it? Do you know its complete "history"?

Thanks in advance,

Jack6849

I don't know if it's the "best looking", but JT's Loar L-5 is definitely in a class by itself. Anyone who gets to play such a guitar is very fortunate. Please JT, take a second to tell us about that guitar, its sound (tonal characteristics), playability, and its "story".... How did you come by it? Do you know its complete "history"?

Thanks in advance,

Jack6849

Jack,

Alas, the guitar is not mine, but is here on a visit to participate in my X-ray project (I've now X-rayed about 70 historically significant Gibsons, including pre-Gibson Co. Orville instruments, Martins, and Larsons, from about the 1830s through about 1946). This guitar will make for very cool X-rays because it has a virzi.

It's a real honor to have one of the 24 Loar-signed L-5s in my home! This on is all original and set up perfectly. The ultimate jazz box!

You are a lucky man. What a piece of guitar history... Do you think the Virzi actually "helps" the tone quality

Jack,

Yes, I am lucky to have this guitar here!

I really have no idea how the Virzi affects the tone. I suppose that most folks have taken them out of their F5s tells us something. But, I'm so honored to be holding and playing one of only 12 Loar L5s with a Virzi that I can't even pretend to be objective. This thing is just plain cool. Maybe I should start a separate thread on it.

JT -

What are the plans on your X-ray project - publishing in book form?

Do you mind sharing the details?

Forgive me if you have already, I might have missed them.

Thask for asking! This magazine contains a pretty good interview of me and the X-ray project. It started as a "Project X-ray" started as an adjunct to my Banner book and then expanded. My colleagues and I have published two article in the journal of the Am. Society of Radiologic Technology. We are now at work on a big article for Fretboard Journal. Eventually we will do a book.

Best, of course, is that I've been able to play and incredible array of guitars.

Here's a photo the newspaper took when I was X-raying the banner guitars:

17651204T.jpg

I guess the polls will be closing soon. Looks like the Super Jumbo 200's combined garnered the most votes. It was hard for me to vote based purely on 'looks' knowing the differences in sound - at least between the SJ200 and H'bird. Sort of like buying a car based on looks and not considering performance. I could extrapolate the metaphor to marriage - but it would probably be equally offensive to everyone - male, female, married, single, attractive, not, etc. So, I'd better not.

Hey Rod,

Are you working on the SJ, or just giving it a rest by removing the strings and associated parts? Must be a good story here. Tell us about it. It's gorgeous.

There's the 'start' of a story on the Vintage Gibson section under Estate Sale find. Iv'e done some brace re-gluing made a nut and re-glued the bridge. I will update soon. I am having too much fun playing the damn thing to talk about it.... yet... :blink:

I think this topic falls in the IMHO category. My 2nd favorite is mine J-100extraC pic is post in "looking to buy a killer acoustic...ideas?" on 1st page. 1st place for me is I think onewilyfool has showed his 1920's or so L-1 archtop. Might have his guitar miss labeled, but you guys have seen it. BEAUTIFUL GUITAR ! ! imho

Archived