Gibson Brands Forums

The DIY thread

Dub-T-123

Finally got around to installing P90s on this axe, to my surprise the pickup cavities have a metal plate that the mini-humbuckers bolt on to, the plate also has two holes for the P90 screws, talk about a direct drop in.

Before

null_zps40c96df4.jpg

null_zps8188b2ae.jpg

After

CB2C6B2D-603A-4560-93CE-6D512F7C70FA-5018-000032CA0377654D_zps48376c9e.jpg

0DBCC9AF-19DA-40EA-BD6E-52655D0C1F3A-5018-000032CB4D798FA9_zps187dfc71.jpg

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do see where there are the holes to be filled from the pick guard.

Send me an e-mail and I will respond back with the answers for questions you had.

Way too much to post on the thread here, so I have it in an e-mail for you

I do see where there are the holes to be filled from the pick guard.

Send me an e-mail and I will respond back with the answers for questions you had.

Way too much to post on the thread here, so I have it in an e-mail for you

e-mail sent, thanks

my latest project: Big Muff Pi. i used the pdf as found at tone pad, building the "stock" version. i have the components to tweak it, if need be..

press-n-peel, right after ironing:

IMG_0577.jpg

after etching, drilling the holes and cleaning up with steel wool:

IMG_0582.jpg

passive components mounted (sockets for diodes and transistors):

DSC00955.jpg

wiring done:

5-wiring_complete.jpg

a blue LED:

8-LED_lit.jpg

painting is next.

-Don

Awesome build dbreslaur!

I love how you etch your own PCBs. I really need to try that!

What size bit do you use to drill the holes on the board? Do you use a drill press? Also, what do you use to cut the board to size?

I'd love to hear any tips you've got about it, because I'm thinking of ordering some etching supplies today

Awesome build dbreslaur!

I love how you etch your own PCBs. I really need to try that!

What size bit do you use to drill the holes on the board? Do you use a drill press? Also, what do you use to cut the board to size?

I'd love to hear any tips you've got about it, because I'm thinking of ordering some etching supplies today

thanks!

for drilling the holes, i have a really small #32 drill bit (0.116"), and then just use my cordless Dremel. a drill press would be much easier and accurate. i got a package of 6 bits on eBay for all of $6.

for the press-n-peel, make sure your iron is above 275 degrees: i usually start ironing when it hits ~300. i use a cooking thermometer to measure it until it's hot enough. then iron 2-3 minutes to ensure a good transfer.

you can clean up the traces with the combination of an x-acto and black sharpie, or just draw the traces by hand with a sharpie: anything you draw with the marker will stay.

have fun!

Don

=D> I'd say that's undoubtedly one of the finest looking pedal builds in this thread

You're an inspiration!

Thanks for the tips on etching. I think the marker technique that you illustrated earlier in this thread is really cool, and I think I'm going to try that

photo_zps954a1bb9.jpg

I had this enclosure [with a weird drill pattern I did for some reason] laying around so I painted it and housed a circuit inside. I decided to try the Shin Ei FY-2 circuit

The FY-2 sounds really cool but is heavily mid scooped and has very low output. I modified mine in a way that has a knob to sortof blend out the filtering after the fuzz which results in a nasty, nasal fuzz sound that cuts through with guitar much better. But it was still to quiet so I threw a Super Hard On with a trimpot for gain on the end of the circuit to add some volume

Thanks Riffster! How do you like the Dynaranger?

Some of you might remember this build I did a while ago

photo_zps84bf8736.jpg

I had a fuzz circuit it there that sounded really great, but I used a charge pump so that I could daisy chain it and I just couldn't get rid of some annoying noise no matter how much I filtered the power.

Yesterday I built up this circuit using NPN germaniums so that I could daisy chain it without dealing with noisy charge pumps.

photo_zps3dded1f3.jpg

I'm really satisfied with the sound now. Now it sounds better than it looks! Even with no power filtering its very low noise

I love the Dyna Ranger, this thing is nuts! I should have gotten one of these a long time ago. Been looking at Range Masters for like two years or more.

It enhances the tone of every one of my guitars, you can tell how Rory Gallagher, Brian May, Tony Iommi, Ritchie Blackmore and Wolf Hoffman got a lot of their tones.

Who needs and overdrive pedal?

I can get that Accept - Wolf Hoffman tone with my V with the Seymour Duncan Distortion pickup.

Or Rory Gallagher tones on the Strat, or some of Tony Iommi sounds with my SG with 57 classics.

The only thing is that this particular unit has the CV7003 transistor rather than the Mullard Glass OC44 but I am not sure how they compare anyway. I do know that the Mullard OC44 is expensive, if you know a source let me know, the pedal has a socket so I can try different transistors but I am happy as it is.

And because conversation is boring without pics:

F9F28E7C-83EE-4DB6-A436-BD16426952C8-1343-0000023FB39A4F8E_zps51b4325b.jpg

Really cool pedal setup! That Muff sounds awesome huh?

The cv7003 is actually a military spec oc44. You can get NOS oc44 from smallbear but I think they usually end up sending you a cv7003. There shouldn't be a difference in sound between the two (except for individual variables that you'd find among any transistors)

• 2 weeks later...

Stepping up my game a bit on these attenuators. I put in an order for custom drilled and painted boxes with my logo, etc. No more water slide decals! Definitely makes things easier and prettier, though I still have to drill the ventilation holes myself.

GroupShot.jpg

Stepping up my game a bit on these attenuators. I put in an order for custom drilled and painted boxes with my logo, etc. No more water slide decals! Definitely makes things easier and prettier, though I still have to drill the ventilation holes myself.

GroupShot.jpg

Oh Yeah!! [thumbup] [thumbup]

• 3 weeks later...

Not done yet since I have had little time to fix all the minor details but my newest version of my Squier 51 is coming along nicely.

Special thanks to Bill (BRC) for the refinish job that came out so nicely. I am working on a paint job for the pickguard.

DCE2DA8E-A117-4EF9-B00D-FF1E0A01CD97-5018-000032CC479465E1_zps0e9f9cbf.jpg

F038C2BA-3A08-4252-BB78-B51882DD75D8-191-000000268F9D13FB_zpsbb6a6ee6.jpg

Archived