Gibson Brands Forums

The DIY thread

Dub-T-123

That's very nice.......What exactly is it ???

Thanks

It's basically a germanium/silicon hybrid fuzz, capable of some very amp like overdrive sounds. Asymmetrical clipping. The sound is thick but really clear with plenty of high end

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks

It's basically a germanium/silicon hybrid fuzz, capable of some very amp like overdrive sounds. Asymmetrical clipping. The sound is thick but really clear with plenty of high end

Yup......IMHO, the more fuzz pedals, the better..........Think I'm up to 20 fuzzes......Need more...

Here is a 300 year old chunk of Hunduran mahogany....LP shaped, one piece, nice grain, 1 and 5/8" thick..........

It will be have a Bigsby, 2 cream P-90s, 1 tone, 2 volume, maple neck, etc etc.....It shall go from jazz to uber P-90 mayhem.......(Wolftone A2 or Lollar A5 PUs....)

DSCN7477.jpg

DSCN7473.jpg

This is gonna be COOL

keep us posted! Nice cat!

I've got this in my test box right now

[Youtube]

Basically I started with my Fuzz Face/MK1.5 vero layout and tweaked it around to make something that I think is pretty cool.

To start, I chose transistors that were a bit lower gain than what everyone suggests for this type of circuit. So it retains a lot more clarity with chords but doesn't sound extremely high gain.

Then I added a tone control of sorts.. An input cap blend. It blends from 5nf to 5uf. When you factor in the 10n output cap, it almost ranges from a Rangemaster-like freq response to a MK1.5-like freq response.

When I first tested it out, I was getting a somewhat harsh high end with some fizz in the brightest setting. I added some small value caps across the base and collector of each transistor to smooth that out. This also helped reduce the amount of noise

I think the only thing I will change is one resistor to get a bit more output. Other than that I'm happy with it!

I think the only thing I will change is one resistor to get a bit more output. Other than that I'm happy with it!

Sounds pretty awesome to me as it is! Nice bass/treble balance to it. Plenty of fuzz but not too fizzy. [thumbup]

Thanks, Pup!

It barely gets above unity gain on my little practice amp here so I'll mod it to be louder. I like my fuzz to be able to go loud so it can blast through in a band.

Build anything lately?

I gotcha - so louder but not fuzzier. [thumbup]

I've been building more attenuators this week. A guy needed a 16 ohm one, so I did a couple and put them in the eBay store. Not super exciting, but I'm pretty pleased with them overall...

DSC_0012-3.jpg

Just finished the first production Baby Fat booster today. Super clean JFET boost.

I made a rough prototype before, but this one's finsihed purty! [biggrin] Gonna

ship them with a blue and a pink knob so folks can choose boy or girl. They call

that marketing! [lol]

DSC_0004-9.jpg

DSC_0003-13.jpg

DSC_0010-3.jpg

i'm done!

1963_Bassman-fini.jpg

i put vintage 30s in my 2x12 cab too:

85.jpg

a neat mod, bias test points to read cathode mV over a 1 ohm resistor to get mA:

89.jpg

90.jpg

theres a shot of the bias pot too, you can adjust from the outside or inside.

very pleased with this one: a little bit loud before it starts getting dirty, but what cleans!

Don

Yup......IMHO, the more fuzz pedals, the better..........Think I'm up to 20 fuzzes......Need more...

Im building an issue 1 dallas arbiter ff at the moment but im having trouble getting the affected signal to come through. Once I've fixed it that will bring me up to the grand total of 2 fuzz's. I'd like to get a mini bonamassa or eric johnson ff when they come out

Im building an issue 1 dallas arbiter ff at the moment but im having trouble getting the affected signal to come through.

Check to see if you have the input and output wires crossed at the switch - that will do what you describe - I've done it. [biggrin]

Check to see if you have the input and output wires crossed at the switch - that will do what you describe - I've done it. [biggrin]

Im not sure thats the problem, Im still getting a clean signal but when i press the spdt switch it cuts out

Im not sure thats the problem, Im still getting a clean signal but when i press the dpdt switch it cuts out

That's exactly what happens if you have input and output leads reversed into a true bypass switch

• 2 weeks later...

Only two more weeks of summer break, so I'm trying to finish some stuff up. Whatdya think of these Marshall style boosters? Too much gold?

DSC_0004-10.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

How do they look in low light? The shiny knob might be easy to pick out on the board. But maybe too shiny?

Those look great surfpup!

I got this BOSS OS-2 for free and thought it would be fun to refinish and maybe mod it. It sounds pretty good with my practice amp.

photo_zpsd588f47a.jpg

Spraying it a hammered grey.

I also just made a vero layout for a silicon adaptation of the MKII Bender with an added recovery stage and baxandall tone stack (interactive treble and bass controls).

Haha good ideas.

I think some kind of waterside decal would look great on the metal part of the foot pad. Haven't tried that before though

I just painted the rest of the enclosure and got a really deep hammered effect on it! Here it is after I took everything apart and cleaned it. Pretty cool design

photo_zps427517c2.jpg

I also just made a vero layout for a silicon adaptation of the MKII Bender with an added recovery stage and baxandall tone stack (interactive treble and bass controls).

Sounds cool!

And I just realized that was something else I wanted to do this summer: build something on vero. Oh well... There will be time, there will be time... [biggrin]

Archived