Gibson Brands Forums

Black Friday

Jantha

My wife and daughter went shopping this morning at 5:30am. Me and the dog watched the grandkids. Worked-out pretty good for me.

There's only a few things I'll be up and on the go for at 5:30 in the morning and shopping is definitely not one of them. [biggrin]

Some people enjoy it. My church hosts the Turkey Bowl (a flag football game on black friday), and a bunch of the ladies were coming back from shopping just as we were starting the game. They had fun. Most of them only spent $20-50, and just went to have fun with their friends. People have all kinds of wierd hobbies and do stupid stuff for fun, and I would say black friday shopping is pretty tame compared so some of the stuff people do to entertain themselves.

I love it how we have people on the forum that will spend hours and hours a day posting online messages to strangers, but if you want to go late night shopping with your friends, you're sheep, crazy, or ashamed to be an American or a white person.

Sorry but the that craziness holds no appeal for me. A friend of mine waited from 11 PM in a line in a store until 5 AM when the sale started just for the item she wanted to be out of stock. She ended up going home with only a bag of Tostitos. I'd rather sleep in.

Some people enjoy it. My church hosts the Turkey Bowl (a flag football game on black friday), and a bunch of the ladies were coming back from shopping just as we were starting the game. They had fun. Most of them only spent $20-50, and just went to have fun with their friends. People have all kinds of wierd hobbies and do stupid stuff for fun, and I would say black friday shopping is pretty tame compared so some of the stuff people do to entertain themselves.

I love it how we have people on the forum that will spend hours and hours a day posting online messages to strangers, but if you want to go late night shopping with your friends, you're sheep, crazy, or ashamed to be an American or a white person.

judgers gonna judge.

people would think me being in a basement for a few hours working on songs is crazy. i've done black friday shopping, and unless there's something i really need, like a new tv, i don't see myself doing it ever again. for the most part, other than the blow out deals, and some of the clothes i got for dirt cheap, the sales aren't spectacular

I don't have a problem so much with the practice itself, or the people that enjoy it. If people want to get up early (or stay up late) to do that, I don't care. It's the people that are pepper spraying, mobbing, trampling and just plain being cutthroat to others just to get good deal on some crap.

Its not like the beggining of "Gangs of New York" in every shopping center, mall, grocery store, gas station, and truck stop across the USA. A few people get out of hand every year, and somebody gets a broken arm or pepper sprayed, and every news organization in the states puts up a video of it on the 6 oclock report. Then everyone that didnt stand in line in front of Target for 7 hours shakes their head and feels better about themselves for not going out on black friday. My sister goes out every year and has never been pepper sprayed, trampled, arrested, or stabbed.

Its not like the beggining of "Gangs of New York" in every shopping center, mall, grocery store, gas station, and truck stop across the USA. A few people get out of hand every year, and somebody gets a broken arm or pepper sprayed, and every news organization in the states puts up a video of it on the 6 oclock report. Then everyone that didnt stand in line in front of Target for 7 hours shakes their head and feels better about themselves for not going out on black friday. My sister goes out every year and has never been pepper sprayed, trampled, arrested, or stabbed.

Unless your in New York...its just like the movies. Back in my ol' black fridays ive seen 5 people shot!

Black Friday is a silly "tradition" as far as I am concerned. We have a similar huge shopping day here in Canada called "Boxing Day"....similar deal but without the same level of fanaticism...still, good deals, stores open late. A few incidents every year...

I'm all for people going to find some deals and have fun shopping (not that I understand the concept of having fun shopping or anything)...but when it gets violent (as it tends to do) and competitive, that's where it gets ridiculous to me. Somebody gonna pepper spray some people over something at Wal-effing-Mart? Pure silliness.

When I was a kid and Dad was going to grad school in Cambridge, Mass., the first time I came home for Christmas vacation, my mom took me to Filene's Automatic Bargain Basement in downtown Boston. This is like 1961.

Naive country boy that I was, in ways, I couldn't believe how these "ladies" would act over a dress or whatever on this table. Didn't understand it then, don't now.

I just picked up a nice big LCD monitor for my computer at the local Radio Shack. No big deal over much of anything, except the prices were good and in a town of 5,000 it was no problem to get there and back to the office. And although for here, there were a lot of customers in the little store, everybody was being nice. I BSed a bit with a friend, flirted with the sales girl I knew a bit, and sent a fake grouchy word to the boss in the back whom I know fairly well.

Functionally zero gasoline cost 'cuz I was driving by anyway.

That was my "Black Friday." Now... to pick up some strings from MF or somewhere...

Seriously, I think folks tend to be more courteous in more rural areas where much anonymity is functionally impossible.

m

Archived