Gibson Brands Forums

Shredding

majorityof1

Nothing against shredding over here. I love to listen to shredders' date=' country chickin-pickin, blues, jazz.......anything as long as it sounds good to my ears. Some of that stuff does become repetitive though.

Is Paul Gilbert considered a shredder? He's one of my favorites.[/quote']

Paul Gilbert is a shredder, but he works differently than most. He tries to compose a song that he thinks sounds good, where as other shredders may say "i like this scale, how how can i use a sweep here". He tries to avoid sweeping, he thinks its overused.

Wtf does shredding have to do with homosexuality' date=' leave that ignorance at the door. Seriously[/quote']

Calm down n00b, obviously he meant gay as in 'happy people.'

Back on topic, most guitar players are not songwriters and therefore to not understand how to write a great song filled with emotion. They think, "omg i am teh **** i lerned how to play triplet chromatic lixx and i am going to play suprfast like 250bps all the time!!!!" Walk into any Guitar Center at any time to find several of these wankers.

Sounds cliche, but regardless of any instrument, you need to "serve the song" and the arrangement therein.

Most songs have an emotional 'climax,' sort of like a rollercoaster. Slash is one of the few 'shredders' who understands this, and uses his shredding only when the song 'peaks.' Sweet Child O' Mine is probably his finest example of this.

For experienced guitarists, playing a three-chord progression on acoustic guitar that is supposed to be a lovesong may make them feel as if they're not playing up to their potential, but any guitar player worth his weight in gold knows it is all about a meaningful song.

I think shredding is kind of like sports. You don't often get style points accounted for in athletics. In sports it's generally about who can be fastest or strongest or jump highest, etc. This theory could account for why so many teenage male guitar players are impressed with the shred.

For myself, I've listened to many of those guys (Hell, I have Vai's first record Flex-able on vinyl!) and my hat is off to them for their technical ability - I just don't find it very pleasing to listen to.

Another thought, most guitar players who've been around awhile have some fast licks they can show off with. But they aren't necessarily the element of our playing we are most proud of. It seems to me that most experienced players use the speed judiciously. (When your drink needs refilling at a bar gig some good old 80's tremolo picking will usually get it filled faster than some sweet Travis picking or a tasty chord solo!) ;)

A final thought... I love listening to fast pentatonic playing, so perhaps the speed in shred has nothing to do with making it not enjoyable to listen to so much as the odd melodic choices?

A final thought... I love listening to fast pentatonic playing' date=' so perhaps the speed in shred has nothing to do with making it not enjoyable to listen to so much as the odd melodic choices? [/quote']

+1

I think most shredders learn scales, learn to play them really fast, and then see where they can incorporate them into songs. Very seldom will someone who shreds often write a moderately-complicated solo and then throw in shredding as something extra, with the exception being Slash. I think a lot of shredders do so to show off.... although any REAL guitarist knows that playing is all about how it sounds, not how fast you can move your fingers.

Take Jimmy Page for example. Inducted into the Rock and Roll hall of fame TWICE. His solo in "Stairway to Heaven" has been voted the greatest guitar solo of all time in a Guitarworld poll three times. Can he play as fast as Herman Li or Sam Totman (of Dragonforce)? Hell no! But he can WRITE guitar parts like no other that FIT with the song and COMPLIMENT the lyrics. Excellent guitar playing has NOTHING to do with how fast you can move your fingers (at least past a certain point). I rest my case.

I think most shredders learn scales' date=' learn to play them really fast, and then see where they can incorporate them into songs. Very seldom will someone who shreds often write a moderately-complicated solo and then throw in shredding as something extra, with the exception being Slash. I think a lot of shredders do so to show off.... although any REAL guitarist knows that playing is all about how it sounds, not how fast you can move your fingers.

[/quote']

You nailed it on this one. My sentiments exactly.

All to often I will hear people bash shredding' date=' usually for stupid reasons.

1) It has no feeling.

Yes it does. If you were trying to compose a song for guitar (or anything for that matter) that was trying to impart a sense of urgency or hurry, how else would you do it but with a flurry of notes? Look at songs "Flight of the Bumblebee" lots of notes, lots of feeling.

2) I don't like Metal.

I shouldn't have to explain this. Metal is not shred.

Metal is a type of music that if it were classified like a movie it would be in horror. The themes of metal include (but not limited to) things like: losing ones mind, dieing, killing, torture, violence, betrayal and really anything people in general fear.

Shred would be more of a documentary "this is the guitar, and this is what it can do"

Conclusion:

I like shred, I admire the people that play it, and I wish I could play like them (I will someday).

P.S. people that play chords all day will play more notes than anyone.

[/quote']

WTF i like and play metal,hard rock and sometimes dire straits songs (swing)...

Metal doesn't talk only about losing ones mind, dieing, killing, torture, violence, betrayal and really anything people in general fear.

Yeah, I agree, Rick, Metal is awesome and it doesn't necessarily have to talk about losing ones mind, dieing, killing, torture, violence, betrayal and really anything people in general fear. Metal is awesome! Not every metallica song has anything death-related in it. Yeah, sure, a lot of them do, but there's a lot that don't. I like shredding. I make up my own riffs all the time, sometimes by an accident.

It's just a matter of taste. I still love some shred, and even some of the 100 bps weedling that Yngwie plays, but sort of drifted away from that style over the years. I'll concur with DeepBlue on the moderation part.

I wouldn't necessarily write it off as having no feeling, although much of it you hear nowdays sounds pretty samey.

Some guys like Vai, Satch, Vinnie Moore and even Steve Morse can make a lotta notes sound cool. Too much of it definitely gets annoying fast though.

Wtf does shredding have to do with homosexuality' date=' leave that ignorance at the door. Seriously[/quote']

It was a joke man, just read the previous post made by jesse about the jonas brothers... read it? ok now you leave your attitude at the door. That we don't share your oppinion doesn't mean we are "against you" or out to get you...

I used to deffend shredding as hard as you do. Then I grew out of it (not intended as a negative comment, two of my favorite players can shred like no other (Angra)) and realized you can't be as good as you want to be if you are 100% fast licks and scales.

I compare it all to Uncle Frank.

If it makes sense, like his shredding did, in context, I like it.

If it is just done for showing off, I don't.

And if, like Alvin Lee, they can sing each note as they shred it, then respect, if the shredding is just random spastic twitching, well I can leave it alone, you know?

I like to shred occasionally, and I am an old geezer. Sometimes it fits the mood or the piece. Most of the time I prefer the 'right note at the right time' slower stuff. Old brain, don't yah know.....

Uhm... isn't shredding a technique... like finger picking or hyper bends?

Any good story teller knows that you vary your inflection and rhythm to keep an audience's attention.... I mean, who wants to listen to an entire album of rapid-fire auctioneer speak?

make sense?

Uhm... isn't shredding a technique... like finger picking or hyper bends?

Any good story teller knows that you vary your inflection and rhythm to keep an audience's attention.... I mean' date=' who wants to listen to an entire album of rapid-fire auctioneer speak?

make sense?[/quote']

+1000000000000000000000000000000000

I listen to Dragonforce. One song per year.

• 3 years later...

I admire anyone who can play a style I can't play well. That includes shredders as well as classical guitarists. In the late 70s and thru the 80s when VanHalen came out and then Randy Rhodes and all that two handed fretboard stuff and lots and lots of notes....well, I just could never do it justice and stuck to my blues box ala Page, Hendrix, Clapton, Townshend, Richards. Or worse yet, two note chord runs like Chuck Berry!! Felt out of place and left behind for a while but then everything came back around. I'm not saying that shredding can't impart feeling but BB King's one note "runs" just do it better for a lot of folks. To each his own...

Archived