Gibson Brands Forums

Stones Of Circumstance

Buc McMaster

Many years ago, 2008 I think it was......maybe that's not many.......ok.......a few years back my younger brother had a blog he wrote an entry for every once in awhile. Just passing thoughts mostly. But one phrase he wrote caught my eye and I wrote it down......."stones of circumstance". I quickly wrote a refrain using that phrase, stuck the piece of paper in a notebook and forgot about it. Every once in awhile I would see it among the stack of random thoughts and half-baked ideas for songs, still thinking it had potential. So when it fell out of the notebook to the floor last week I picked it up and determined to see if I could complete the idea. Here's what I came up with. The song begs for high harmony and a cooking mandolin solo........that will have to keep for now. Hat's off to my brother for the inspirational line! And hallelujah for this new Hummingbird! I love this guitar!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-W3tZSmFu8&list=UU3tT5jzCvMj17IIpw3oVL9w&index=1&feature=plcp

Stones of Circumstance/copyright 2012 MBB

I stumble on through the dust of disappointment

The winds of worry tuggin' at my clothes

The road is long and I am weary

Perdition's fires rise to meet me 'ere I go

Carry me

To the other shore, Lord

Lift my soul from stones of circumstance

Suffer me

To bear no more, Lord

Take my hand and teach my feet another dance

When I was young I did not heed the lessons

Along the road 'twixt the darkness and the light

The world is cruel and does not play at favorites

I carry on the best I can to see the right

Well heck. If y'all want to jam along I'll start leaving an instrumental chorus in the middle somewhere for you to solo over! Please feel free to play along and, particularly on one like this, those of you that sing jump in with that high lonesome harmony I can hear in my head! This one is my typical fare........simple guitar work and short, to-the-point lyrics. Without accompaniment this tune's only 90 seconds long............geez. Listening again this morning I am still struck with the tone of the Hummingbird chugging along, warm and full............I am very, very happy with this instrument!!

Thanks for the support, people!

Hey Buc,

By now, I've just about decided to write up a brilliant, glowing response that I can set aside in a text file and then paste it up every time you post a new tune!

Listening again this morning I am still struck with the tone of the Hummingbird chugging along, warm and full............I am very, very happy with this instrument!!

I went out to YouTube and watched a number of your videos once again. That Hummingbird sure sounds like one spectacular instrument. Not only a great guitar in general, but specifically for what you're doing with it. I'm not implying that your other guitars didn't sound good, but they sure didn't sound like your 'bird. In my opinion, that particular Hummingbird was simply meant to be your guitar.

That Hummingbird sure sounds like one spectacular instrument. Not only a great guitar in general, but specifically for what you're doing with it. I'm not implying that your other guitars didn't sound good, but they sure didn't sound like your 'bird. In my opinion, that particular Hummingbird was simply meant to be your guitar.

Does the man choose the guitar, or does the guitar choose the man? Ponder that one.

I enjoyed that a lot. The Hummingbird sounds great, and so were your vocals. Nicely written.................BTW, you mentioned something about " half-baked ideas for songs." My oven is full of them. Like you, every-once-and-a-while I look at one of them and there's the rest of the song looking-back at me............Good song, buddy. Keep it going. [thumbup]

That Hummingbird sure sounds like one spectacular instrument. In my opinion, that particular Hummingbird was simply meant to be your guitar.

Amen, brother............I agree! This particular guitar was the last one on the far left end of the Gibson display of probably 20-25 instruments at Southpaw, and the last one I picked up after pretty much settling on an SJ. But this H'Bird was the one the won out for me. The wife told me to go buy another one, have another guitar, but I don't see the point - this one works just fine and I only have two hands!

Thank you all very, very much for the kind comments! I sincerely appreciate your interest and I will strive not to disappoint in the future!

Amen, brother............I agree! This particular guitar was the last one on the far left end of the Gibson display of probably 20-25 instruments at Southpaw, and the last one I picked up after pretty much settling on an SJ. But this H'Bird was the one the won out for me. The wife told me to go buy another one, have another guitar, but I don't see the point - this one works just fine and I only have two hands!

Thank you all very, very much for the kind comments! I sincerely appreciate your interest and I will strive not to disappoint in the future!

Buc .... I speak for all of us when I say we so much enjoy your musical posts .... BUT I think one should do what their wife tells them to do for the sake of harmony in the home. Besides having a backup is a good thing.

Archived