Gibson Brands Forums

Eyeing second Gibson--would like some advice...

Snapper Jones

Greetings everyone,

First post here on the board and I'd like to ask some advice. Last fall I picked up a Songwriter Deluxe Standard model and love it. I'll try to post a few pics in the near future--she's a beaut.

In the past, I was a Taylor guy and the acoustic guy at the local music store I know is into Gibson and introduced me to them. After test driving a few, I was hooked.

I'm now in the market for a second Gibson and wanted to check with the experts here. What other model would be a good compliment to the Songwriter deluxe standard that I already have. I mainly play folk-type stuff (i.e. Ray Lamontage, Buffett, Dead, Avetts, Dylan, etc,). I strum, flatpick and am learning to fingerpick--so one that handles everything, but has a different sound that the songwriter.

I'm leaning towards a J-185 or perhaps a used SJ-200. Are there others I should consider?

thanks in advance.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's easy...you're ready for a smaller bod vintage LG2, LG3, L0, or L00. You already have the big d'naught tone, you should complement with the more intimate woody bark of a little Gibson. I'm a sucker for these.... Elderly Insruments currently has a good looking 12 fret L0 for sale Both the L0 and L00 are among the finest sounding fingerpicking gits you could own, and the wide string spacing is so freekin' comfortable.

I agree with both Chris and Zed above ..... either a J45 TV or a L-00 will serve you well. Both are mahogany and have a wonderful sound ... the 45 is perhaps a better all around git and the L-00 has a wonderful sound and most are wonderfully playable.

I've a couple of French bulldogs myself, your vet bills with that lot must be pretty steep.....

Well.... considerin' that the old guy in front is not 16-1/2 years old....and there are several more Pugs added to the "herd', yeah.... they get kinda steep!

Sounds like you're 'taylor-made' for a 'bird...either a Hummingbird or Dove... my personal preference!

And two can grow into "more"!

TheGang.jpg

Bob and Mark (DR and EA), I think your houses have been invaded by aliens. Is one of them named Frank, by any chance?

Oh you will find a lot of love for Jumbos, but I think every household should have a mahogany Gibson, its just the quintessential Gibson essence.

Or if you cant decide, like me, just get one of each ...

AllGibbys.jpg

Thanks guys. No love for the Jumbos? My decision was between a J-45 custom and the SWD Standard. I went with the Standard.

Bob and Mark (DR and EA), I think your houses have been invaded by aliens. Is one of them named Frank, by any chance?

Since the thread is contaminated, but not corrupted, your post reminds me of a true story.

Friends of mine were traveling to Denver for a Pug Specialty in their motor home. They used to let their Pugs run around when they drove, (mine are all in crates).

They pulled in for fuel, and the attendant was washing the windshields and saw a couple of his Pugs on the dash....he asked them, "Just how many monkeys do you have in there?"

I was walking my French bulldogs past my place of work one night, att the same time the security team were doing their rounds one of them asked me in all seriousness "what type of animal are they? it's not a dog" I told him they were 'land haggis' that I had imported from Scotland... They were very expensive and distantly related to the pig family. They are wild but these are domestic ones" He seemed to have no idea I had just told him a complete lie.

The worst of it is, if you drive for 20 minutes from my place in the right direction you've already crossed the French border.....

.... I mainly play folk-type stuff (i.e. Ray Lamontage, Buffett, Dead, Avetts, Dylan, etc,). I strum, flatpick and am learning to fingerpick--so one that handles everything, but has a different sound that the songwriter. .....

With the folk-type stuff you like to play, you might want to stick with the other dark wood - mahogany (J-45, H'Bird)

OTOH, if you're looking for something really different go with the light wood - maple (J185, J200, Dove) - and a jumbo of a different body shape - J200.

Have fun with the hunt. . B)

Southern Jumbo and J-45--same body style? Also, other than the rounded shoulders how would that body type differ from the songwriter?

The J-45 and the Southern Jumbo are the same, except the SJ has a bound fretboard, '50's style pickguard, different rosette. More "bling"! The SongWriter is a small square-shouldered dreadnaught body. Very comfortable to play. The J-45 and SJ is a round shouldered body. That TONE, what a TONE!!!!!

I'm waiting to see which way PM goes when he stops talking French bull and walking the dog, since he has a slope hog, a super map and a small bod. But I'm pretty sure he'll echo me in saying you've at least got to try a Southern Jumbo. And not all of them have a bound fingerboard, Larry!

All together now:

Hey Woody Guthrie, we made this guitar!

This is the Gibson sound for me, but I only own one, and of course there are others (all of the above).

Archived