Gibson Brands Forums

New Jack White single

EVOL!

I just heard this on the radio and immediately thought of emailing Fred haha

I have pretty much the same feelings about it as you. I thought the lyrics were pretty interesting and cool but I didn't find much in the actual music itself. I did like the little Rhodes-ish keyboard parts.

As a fan of White Stripes I can only say... meh indeed.

Everything sounded the same throughout the song. No crazy slide solo or anything...

The vocals actually started to annoy me at some point...

Maybe I need to hear it more then once to pass my final judgement, but I have to go to work now msp_smile.gif.

Sometimes we expect too much from an artists recording, and can't appreciate it for what it is. I like the fact that it is a "single", in the old tradition, simple, concise and a touch over 2 minutes long. I realize some of you don't remember when single records were issued, or were even born yet. But, what the heck , at least it's not some over produced, self indulgent offering.

I never was a White Stripes fan, but after seeing Jack White in It Might Get Loud movie I listened to them with a different attitude and kinda like them.

I loved their movie Under Great White Northern Lights .

I found this new song a bit boring, but let's wait for the album...

I think it's a really neat song that definitely grows on you the more you listen. Especially the clarinet hook, didn't see that coming!

Then again, I'm a huge White fan so he could probably release a Metal Machine Music-style single with me still liking it... Also, for those of you who find this single too mellow, he said himself that it's not very indicative for the rest of the album. Make of that what you will.

Most exciting part though? *Extensive* world tour! :D

LOL, i'd love to jump on the bandwagon and say it sucks, but i enjoyed the tune. [flapper]

Not every song needs to be full out power, sometimes it's good to put the brakes on. And Jack White is a master of never getting stuck in a routine.

But IMO it really could have used some slide...

Archived