Gibson Brands Forums

Buyer's Remorse

thejtl

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think of the reverse of this situation. You have a great guitar worth around $2000 on the used market. You hit some financial hardships and sell the guitar for the cash to pay off bills or the rent. The next month, next year, you still have bills and rent but no guitar. You'll have years of regret for selling off that one thing that makes the bills and rent bearable... your music, and you'll regret that forever. Or at least until you've replaced that guitar... which is now $3000 on the used market.

I have SELLER's remorse. I have regretted selling/trading many of my guitars. I have let some good ones go. I'm FINALLY starting to realize (with "help" from my wife!) after 25 years of buying/selling/trading guitars that GAS is a expensive and largely generally stupid malady. I need to stop.

Very interesting. I'm a pre 60's 'vintage only' guy, and I guess the thought of a guitar sitting on a rack for 6 years would make me want to look it over real good. Apparently things are working out OK as you love the thing. I've had my share of buyers remorse over years of trading up, a little at a time, to get to my ideal grouping of the different sounding guitars I have now. Doubt I'll ever need another, but one thing I always told myself, as I lay awake in bed wondering how I could have just laid out $2600. for a 50's J45, you can usually get back what you paid for it when you go to re-up. You may lose or even gain a buck or two, but it will retain enough value to just consider it money in the bank.

Very interesting. I'm a pre 60's 'vintage only' guy, and I guess the thought of a guitar sitting on a rack for 6 years would make me want to look it over real good. Apparently things are working out OK as you love the thing. I've had my share of buyers remorse over years of trading up, a little at a time, to get to my ideal grouping of the different sounding guitars I have now. Doubt I'll ever need another, but one thing I always told myself, as I lay awake in bed wondering how I could have just laid out $2600. for a 50's J45, you can usually get back what you paid for it when you go to re-up. You may lose or even gain a buck or two, but it will retain enough value to just consider it money in the bank.

Now you've got the AJ...time to start shopping for a nice small bod Gib. Why not turn the remorse into some full blown GAS??!

At my local volume Gibson dealer (Long And McQuade), they have a bunch of "new" 2008s on the wall. They sound great and I wouldn't have any problem buying one.

Buyers remorse is tough sometimes, but when you think about it, a guitar (quality Guitar) is something you can use and enjoy 24/7 -365 days a year, rain or shine, sleet or snow. Pencil out the real cost of the purchase over 10-20 years and you'll see it cost a lot less than your motorcycle and depreciation won't be a factor. Play it and enjoy.

If your not sure if you made the right desision.. ..They should have a return policy where you can take it back... Its Not like AJs are going up in price tommorrow.. you may change your mind sometime down the road and get another.. at least you were able to try it out.. do what you think is best for your situation..

JTL, I hear you on the pain of seeing guitars go for a lot cheaper on eBay. Keep in mind, a big benefit you got from buying the AJ in person was being able to play it before you bought it. If I recall from your prior thread, it was really a standout guitar when you played it at the store. So while you might be able to save some coin by buying on eBay, you'll take a good bit of risk of getting a vastly inferior guitar if you buy one that you haven't played.

Having said that, $700 is $700, so if saving the coin is worth the risk of a dog, you could troll eBay for a couple of weeks and see if you can land one on the cheap within your 30-day return window. If you do, then you could return the AJ and get your money back. (All the better if your eBay purchase comes with a return window; then you can A/B the guitars and see if your GC AJ is worth the price difference.) Of course, in the meantime, keep playing the AJ -- there's a good chance it will so knock your socks off that you'll nix the idea of returning it!

Just ONE perspective:

Guitars are an EXPENDITURE, not an investment. The difference between the two is an investment is purely for financial gain. An expenditure is for USE, and something you spend for to get something out of it.

So...it IS wise to consider resale and/or how much you can save or overspend. But it still doesn't change the most important aspect, which is what it does for YOU and what you choose to get out of it in relation to the money you spend.

When buying new, of CORSE it is going to cost you more than a used one. Duh. But what you get in return when SHOPPING new is the ability to pick and choose the one that works the best for you. If the right guitar comes along, the 'extra' 800 dollers you have spent then becomes a REASONABLE expenditure. Or in reverse, if you were to send it back and buy the same guitar and save 800 bucks, chances my be you just spent 1800 bucks on something that isn't as good or useful to you. And putting another 800 bucks into it to make it 800 bucks better is not a reality you can do.

It is only money. Concerning yourself over a few hundred bucks either way can detract from the value of the chunk you spent in the first place. The important thing is to pay your bills, and do the best you can with what you got and with the choices you make, and not every choice HAS to be 100% perfect. If you can handle it, who cares?

Some people will not see 2000 bucks of cash to spend in the next 2 years. Some have much more. Those who earn and spend also contribute all the way around.

Just ONE perspective:

Guitars are an EXPENDITURE, not an investment. The difference between the two is an investment is purely for financial gain. An expenditure is for USE, and something you spend for to get something out of it.

So...it IS wise to consider resale and/or how much you can save or overspend. But it still doesn't change the most important aspect, which is what it does for YOU and what you choose to get out of it in relation to the money you spend.

When buying new, of CORSE it is going to cost you more than a used one. Duh. But what you get in return when SHOPPING new is the ability to pick and choose the one that works the best for you. If the right guitar comes along, the 'extra' 800 dollers you have spent then becomes a REASONABLE expenditure. Or in reverse, if you were to send it back and buy the same guitar and save 800 bucks, chances my be you just spent 1800 bucks on something that isn't as good or useful to you. And putting another 800 bucks into it to make it 800 bucks better is not a reality you can do.

It is only money. Concerning yourself over a few hundred bucks either way can detract from the value of the chunk you spent in the first place. The important thing is to pay your bills, and do the best you can with what you got and with the choices you make, and not every choice HAS to be 100% perfect. If you can handle it, who cares?

Some people will not see 2000 bucks of cash to spend in the next 2 years. Some have much more. Those who earn and spend also contribute all the way around.

Hey Stein...got any stock tips?

This just in: buyer's remorse re: my new Aj has set in. Love the guitar more than anything, but really feeling the pinch when I think about paying for it. This thing cost almost as much as my motorcycle.

I have got the feeling that you were not totally satisfied with this purchase, since your first post about. Save your self some agony and stomach problems by returning it and getting a refund! [thumbup] TRUST ME....you will feel better!

lol....there is a HUGE thread about it in the lounge. 6 pages about why it matters and why it don't, who likes who, why we should like each other.

Or, you can use the FREE emoticon menu at the right of your response box while you are typing.

My wife recently asked which would cost more, the interest on a credit card balance of $2500 for a year or taking a 30-40% loss selling a guitar I paid $2500 for new? Think about it.

BWaaaHaHA.... [lol] . It was down to that, eh? Sounds like she is the financial anaylist of the 'team'... [lol]

Archived