Gibson Brands Forums

Buyer's Remorse

thejtl

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The money you spent on the the AJ is an investment -- an investment in a quality instrument that will last a lifetime (actually, longer) with proper care, an investment in your abilities and capabilities as a musician, and an investment in something that will give you pleasure and help you be creative.

Yeah, it is a lot of money, particularly in the current economy, but you've made the purchase so quit complaining and start playing. Snap out of it!

The money you spent on the the AJ is an investment -- an investment in a quality instrument that will last a lifetime (actually, longer) with proper care, an investment in your abilities and capabilities as a musician, and an investment in something that will give you pleasure and help you be creative.

Yeah, it is a lot of money, particularly in the current economy, but you've made the purchase so quit complaining and start playing. Snap out of it!

nicely put [thumbup]

Good points all. Of course the purchase is never complete until the 30 return window runs out...Still 2.5 weeks left!

A rich person once told me, the best hedge against inflation is having nice things...and when you think about it, it's true.

Money will devalue due to inflation...."nice things", (such as a new AJ), will hold it's value, MUCH better than money will.

A rich person once told me, the best hedge against inflation is having nice things...and when you think about it, it's true.

Money will devalue due to inflation...."nice things", (such as a new AJ), will hold it's value, MUCH better than money will.

I agree with this, especially as someone who's not rich but have had a lot of cheap and middle of the road gear. This holds true especially for recording gear. If you buy "prosumer" stuff it'll devalue about as quick as a new car.

One thing that gave me pause as I looked up the AJ on the web was that I saw several of the same vintage as mine (2005, although I just bought it new) selling in private sales for $1600-1700 shipped. That's $800 less than what I paid out the door at GC.

One thing that gave me pause as I looked up the AJ on the web was that I saw several of the same vintage as mine (2005, although I just bought it new) selling in private sales for $1600-1700 shipped. That's $800 less than what I paid out the door at GC.

The used market opens up a whole new world, which apparently you had not yet looked into. It may make sense to return the guitar & do more research. There are a bazillion freaking good guitars out there, and it's a buyer's market.

I agree with this, especially as someone who's not rich but have had a lot of cheap and middle of the road gear. This holds true especially for recording gear. If you buy "prosumer" stuff it'll devalue about as quick as a new car.

Yeah but don't I remember that your 05 was actually new ... if that's the case the price you paid is not great but it is fair. Buying new you get the warranty and that matters (take it from a guy who paid $900 for a repair).

So your choice is to take it back ... and perhaps have some level of remorse ... and then start over finding a quality guitar.

or

Keep what ya got for all the reasons that the folks posted above.

Hey, come on, don't you really deserve a quality guitar? You know you do!

My remorse only kicks in when it hits me that I have added yet one more guitar to a family that just seems to grow when I know deep down I don't need as many as I already have. The saving grace is that given my taste for el cheapo pre-War guitars many only cost a few hundred bucks. But then I get into that if I had not bought five three hundred dollar guitars I could have bought one $1500 guitar.

Two pearls of wisdom to live by:

1) Never complete your pricing research AFTER your purchase. Do it all up front. Once you're comfortable with paying a rate, pay it and move on. Remember that money is just a metric that we agree to on our collective perception of how much we value something.

2) Gibson's piece-to-piece quality is not like Martin's or Taylor's (meaning that it's more likely to find quality variance within a single model type in Gibsons than it is in other high quality-but-mass-produced American made guitars). So, once you find a great Gibson that you love the sound of, don't trade it sight unseen for another, even if it could save you some money. You may find that the tone you have in the guitar you over paid for fits you just right. When viewed through that lens, one can hardly say you over paid for it.

Enjoy your AJ!

You stated in a previous thread you were extremely happy with the guitar in general... and on it's first outing was held in high esteem by your friends. If you decide to return it, your next one may not be as much to your liking.. and you will always regret letting it go.

These other AJ's are secondhand, who knows what they have been through. You bought yours new and have a lifetime warranty.

After a month with my new HB TV, I began to question my purchase... should I have gone for a J45 or a J200... I started having small doubts about the cost of the guitar and my ability to enjoy it... I was worrying about gigging with it and it getting damaged. Then I thought .. this is silly.. I have wanted a high end Gibson for a long time and I had the opportunity to be able to afford one.. so I got it... and I'm getting over the molly coddling stage. I play it every day and every day it gives me joy.

If this guitar speaks to you i say hold on... the bit of remorse on the money spent will pass... and you will be have a wonderful instrument for life.. scratches dings an all.

There are a bazillion freaking good guitars out there, and it's a buyer's market.

An edit to what I just said above. Of course I'm stretching the point, but there really are a lot of very good guitars out there, and you should not be shy at all about returning the one just purchased if you want to look around more. Even buying used, there are many situations where a return period is offered with a full refund - which is the only way to go, imho. Best of luck in whatever you decide.

I've been fortunate enough over the past few years to buy some nice, even great, guitars. I've never had buyer's remorse getting a guitar, but I sure have had seller's remorse when, for whatever reason, I wound up selling an instrument. The reasons I chose to sell them made sense at the time ("thinning the herd," needing some money, etc.) but with one or two exceptions, I miss those guitars.

Fortunately, I now have four guitars (including a '98 J-45) that suit my playing well and I don't foresee getting rid of any of them.

So my unsolicited advice would be to stop comparing prices because you've already bought the guitar. It's new, with a warranty, and as others have stated, that is not inconsequential. The price was fair. It is an excellent, professional instrument that will rarely let you down. Play it and enjoy it.

I wasn't really price comparing with used stuff. I just noticed what used AJs seemed to be selling for as I was trolling the net looking to learn as much as I could about my new purchase (one of my favorite pastimes).

Part of the reason I'm buying guitars (bought a Les Paul Traditional Plus a year or so ago) is that I'm rebuilding my credit. I haven't had a credit card for about 10 years. I buy the guitars and pay them off before the 12 month no interest period ends.

I sold 3 guitars in a day to make room for the AJ. I had a lot of middle of the road guitars and I've decided to move them out for the quality.

I sold 3 guitars in a day to make room for the AJ. I had a lot of middle of the road guitars and I've decided to move them out for the quality.

Now that's a smart move! Quality beats quantity when it comes to guitars, as with many things.

Archived