Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone still using ebony

daveinspain

2 very nice guitars... Something odd about the cherry burst though, looks like a Chinese fake... Seem like the burst should be blended better, just sayin'....

How bizarre that the sub company can still use a material the main company cannot - or at least not so freely as previously ? Not too keen on the visuals; but as always if they play, great I could live with them [biggrin]

Matt

Really, not being able to buy rosewood or ebony? No where has it be said that Gibson can not purchase either wood. No where, they had the supply of questionable woods taken. They can still purchase those woods and still do or those guitars they are making now would be 100% without ebony or rosewood. This is not the fact. They are still releasing guitars with both fretboards. The thinner planks are just another money making aspect since they can make what was normally two pieces they could no longer use, usable.

I tell ya a person of lessor abilities would not have been able to turn this situation into a huge money making adventure like Mr Henry J has. Turn scraps into fretboards, get traditionalist who refuse to use alternate woods into people paying so much more money. Turn the rumors of this incident into more cash since so many think the sky is falling and Gibson can no longer buy rosewood or ebony. Whats the next rumor? Gibson can no longer make SG's because they can't find trees with width but not enough girth so they can no longer make the body? Or wait the new 2011 LP can't be manufactured because the weight relieved holes are on back order. Yup those sound just as silly and the other suggestions.

Rawk and Roll, Henry. Some can't see through the fog of war I can and respect you even more. Make that bank roll.

I'm sure Henry loves having his factory raided and his materials confiscated every few years. What sly dog he is...

That 'burst finish is absolutely hideous.

imho.

P.

I would agree from the picture but I won't pass judgement until I see one in person. On the Gibson site the worn brown Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded models look plain old ugly but in person there's just something about them that really looks nice, the grain looks so much better than in the pictures Gibson shows one their site.

I think the Dark Cherry GK looks great and I like the spec of the GK. And as others have said it may be that the sunburst looks better in real life than it does in the pic. But it looks as if there is yet another guitar I want now... [rolleyes]

Archived