Gibson Brands Forums

One piece back on traditional

LPKEN

How many of you have a one piece back on your traditional. I had tested three gold tops before finally asking to have a new one shipped, only no gold tops available for a while from Gibson. Ok no problem then I can accept another color. So we checked and a light burst was available and I liked it, it reminded me of a faded cherry burst that aged well. Anyway The three gold tops were two piece backs, not that it was a bad thing to me as the web site did say the traditional has either a one or two piece back. I assumed it must be rare to get a one piece then as all three tested LP's were two piece. Well the light burst arrived and it looked great, the action is, well incredible much better that the three gold tops tested and it sounds simply fantastic it's night and day better that the gold tops. I lucked out and got my hands on that perfect guitar for me anyway. I noticed that the back is one piece I don't know if this has anything to do with the goodness of this guitar but thought it might be.

Ken.

ed5e5bc8.jpg

bc3cd76b.jpg

55ff50a3.jpg

51a7452e.jpg

4c5597c2.jpg

57e0e81e.jpg

f6be43c7.jpg

How about posting a pic or two - - pic posting help - http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/11005-sticky-how-to-post-photos/

Regarding once piece backs - some prefer them. I do, but a two piece back isn't a deal breaker for me if everything else is the way I want it. It really shouldn't matter much on an LP as the top is glued on anyway and the body/back is either weight relieved or chambered. Some buyers get real picky on a solid body, like an SG, and won't consider anything but a one piece. Of course, if the guitar has a solid color, you'll never know unless you can see joint seams in the routes. So there you go.

Congrats on your new Trad. . B)

Yeah.. id say the same.. if it sounds good and the front looks good who really cares (how often do people really see the back anyway?).. some people are fussy, but having a two peice back isnt like a sign of worse quality or anything its just luck of the draw. I have guitars with both one and two piece backs and some with more, and it makes no difference... (not to me anyway).. :)

The reporter is obviously not knowledgeable. One and two piece backs show up. I've got a 2008 LP with a two piece back and I know CB recently purchased an LP with a one piece back. You can tell by looking at the end grain on the butt end of the guitar. The seams are sometimes well disguised on the back, but they are easy to spot on the end grain. It's very rare to have a hidden end seam - here's an example -

44b1338fd2.jpg

In addition to what the others have said, a 1 or 2 piece body does NOTHING for playability or tone. The density of a particular piece of lumber may play a role, as will the metal makeup of your strings, and the pickups used. That's it. Everything else comes from your fingers. Playability comes from how well the guitar is set up. Any cheap guitar with a good level fretboard/frets, and proper relief and nut height and string height will play amazingly well. Some may desire a 1 piece body, but if so, it is just for looks, cause it doesn't do anything for the sound or playability. ;) My LP Standard Traditional is a 2 piece, sounds great, my LP Studio is a 4 piece LOL and it sounds killer! My SG is a 2 piece and sounds just as an SG should. As long as the grain is matched well, who cares?!

Two piece backs provide much better stability to your guitar. Even three piece backs make for good instruments. But I do prefer to see two pieces on an expensive Paul rather than a three, mind you.

Also, do you have an image of your guitars bottom? That could vary well be a two piece, they can match mahogany really well.

Two piece backs provide much better stability to your guitar. Even three piece backs make for good instruments. But I do prefer to see two pieces on an expensive Paul rather than a three, mind you.

Also, do you have an image of your guitars bottom? That could vary well be a two piece, they can match mahogany really well.

Malchic I posted a couple photos of the bottom. Looks one piece to me, if this is a two piece it's a really good job of matching the pieces.well in the end it really doesn't matter just thought it might be a rarity.

Ken.

My Trad + is two pieces. The only way to tell is to look where the strap holder

is. The two pieces join right where the strap holder is positioned on the end

of the guitar. I think the specs for these is two pieces

Billy I posted a couple photos of the bottom. Take a look.

Ken

Multiple pieces of wood glued together and then cut as a guitar are more stable, last longer without curling, and seal better.

I don't build them, but I sure have spent some pretty fun times with the guys that do. And they all chuckle at the notion that you just gotta have a one piece that many people seem to believe.

Nice guitar, original poster. Play it long in good health!

rct

Multiple pieces of wood glued together and then cut as a guitar are more stable, last longer without curling, and seal better.

I don't build them, but I sure have spent some pretty fun times with the guys that do. And they all chuckle at the notion that you just gotta have a one piece that many people seem to believe.

Nice guitar, original poster. Play it long in good health!

rct

Thank you for the kind words I do appreciate them, and I do like this guitar 😃. I agree and don't really care if it's one or ten pieces as long as it sounds and plays this good. However, being the devils advocate on this issue I can only wonder why every single custom shop LP Comes with a solid one piece back if it doesn't matter that is, It's cheaper to build any guitar with multiple pieces of wood isn't it?. I would think the back is free to resonate as a one piece rather than two or more. The grain changing direction/pattern, the glue I would think would be hard to make resonate well, at the seem that is the fewer the better. I am not a luthier so who am I, actually any luthiers out there to respond?

Ken

Thank you for the kind words I do appreciate them, and I do like this guitar 😃. I agree and don't really care if it's one or ten pieces as long as it sounds and plays this good. However, being the devils advocate on this issue I can only wonder why every single custom shop LP Comes with a solid one piece back if it doesn't matter that is, It's cheaper to build any guitar with multiple pieces of wood isn't it?. I would think the back is free to resonate as a one piece rather than two or more. The grain changing direction/pattern, the glue I would think would be hard to make resonate well, at the seem that is the fewer the better. I am not a luthier so who am I, actually any luthiers out there to respond?

Ken

Having multiple pieces with various grains going various ways makes it stronger because the wood isn't able to flex or move or warp as easily as it would if it were one piece going with all of he rain going one direction. It acts almost like a weave of sorts. Think about it....if you took two pieces of wood with the same grain amd stacked them on top of each other, and then put a weight on top of it and left it there for a while, after time it would have bowed I the center (think of a cheap bookshelf). Now replace the bottom piece of wood with a different piece with a different grain, it becomes stronger, less flexible, etc. make sense?

Btw my trad back looks like one piece. Either it is, or they did a great job of blending the seem!

Of all the one piece bodies and necks coming out of Gibson from earlier decades, I've yet to see one warped or curled unless the owner soaked the guitar in water. I've got 46 year old Melody Maker one piece body and one piece thin profile neck that's as straight and true as the day it left the factory.

Gluing wood pieces together for stability is well documented woodworking practice. However, Gibson's use of two and three piece bodies is a move that was obviously done to lessen waste, economize costs and deal with green issues.

I have no problem with two piece bodies, just pointing out that one piece bodies were common in the past so it's certain warping and curling were not issues that needed correction. Two and three piece bodies are a reaction to economics and environmentally responsible wood usage.

Of all the one piece bodies and necks coming out of Gibson from earlier decades, I've yet to see one warped or curled unless the owner soaked the guitar in water. I've got 46 year old Melody Maker one piece body and neck that's as straight and true as the day it left the factory.

Gluing wood pieces together for stability is well documented woodworking practice. However, Gibson's use of two and three piece bodies is a move that was obviously done to lessen waste, economize costs and deal with green issues.

I have no problem with two piece bodies, just pointing out that one piece bodies were common in the past so it's certain warping and curling were not issues that needed correction. Two and three piece bodies are a reaction to economics and environmentally responsible wood usage.

Good point on the "green" value!

Where a multi-piece back can have a real impact is on an acoustic guitar. I have a Martin OMC-16OGTE that has a three piece back. The two outter pieces are ovoagkal and the center piece is rosewood. It gives the guitar a very unique and interesting tone.

Three piece back of Martin OMC-16OGTE:

IMG_0605.jpg

Archived