Gibson Brands Forums

eddie van halen is finished...

S t e v e

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL [biggrin]

Steve posted this thread directly for me, so I responded in kind [thumbup]

If I started a Gary Moore or Steve Vai "aint as good as they used to be" thread, (which I wouldn't because they're smokin guitar players), and posted it with calling out El Steviepoo in mind, I would expect to get put in my place, because I couldn't touch what they could do on their worst day of playing.

El Steviepoo? i can tell you now that vai would run rings around halen... [-(

ok, let me compare eddie to steve...eddie "was" all about technique, speed and in your face guitar wizardry...steve has that PLUS soul.

i am yet to hear a piece from eddie that comes from the heart...like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erX2W4qT2vA

we talk a lot on here about playing from the heart, when has eddie ever done that? post it here please.

Somebody quantify "playing from the heart"...quick!

I don't like EVH's playing...I never have, but I've always thought he plays from the heart...he didn't/doesn't have a sad heart though....he had/has a party heart so his playing reflects that. He parties hearty. I couldn't resist.

His playing is more happy while Vai's playing (whom I also have never liked) plays with sadness/melancholy...

Expand your idea of playing from the heart, or playing with emotion...there are more emotions than sadness/longing.

Somebody quantify "playing from the heart"...quick!

I don't like EVH's playing...I never have, but I've always thought he plays from the heart...he didn't/doesn't have a sad heart though....he had/has a party heart so his playing reflects that. He parties hearty. I couldn't resist.

His playing is more happy while Vai's playing (whom I also have never liked) plays with sadness/melancholy...

Expand your idea of playing from the heart, or playing with emotion...there are more emotions than sadness/longing.

don't feed the troll...

EVH is old,not finished,so hes not the bright young lad showing the guitar world how to tap anymore,gotta remember all the sweet guitar stuff he did on women and children first and fair warning,his best stuff imo,i'll admit i wasnt floored with the new stuff either but ya really cant expect him to rip out new stuff sounding as good "unchained" or "eruption" .Perfect example,do you really think vernon reid will ever write something better than "cult of personality"? [biggrin]

Maybe Eddie doesn't want to play like he did back then. Artists take different paths as they mature. During the late 80s and 90s people complained that Rush's Lifeson stopped doing solos and Geddy was too heavy on the synth. But to them it was their way of exploring something different. We may not like it, but as Alfred Hitchcock once said "If I won't be myself, who will?"

I love EVH as much as the next guy, but he was finished when Surfing With the Alien came out. Not to mention George Lynch. But nowadays ( well, since 1990 ) his tone has been sub par ( IMO. Don't care for the Soldano/5150 tone ). His playing has went downhill, which makes him require more gain. Id pay a lot to see him play through an old Plexi. He probably wouldn't stand a chance, unless he practiced a bit ( old, as in pre 900, Marshall amps are very articulate even if they sound like *** at low volumes ). Plus, the Strat style guitars sound better than the Wolfgang style guitars ( I don't like basswood ). When they get Mr. Anthony back and Eddie brings out the Frankenstrat, his old Super Lead, his VINTAGE MXR Phase 90 and Flanger, his GE-10, and his Echoplexes maybe we can talk. Oh, and if he practiced more and when Dave realizes he ain't 25.....

I love EVH as much as the next guy, but he was finished when Surfing With the Alien came out. Not to mention George Lynch. But nowadays ( well, since 1990 ) his tone has been sub par ( IMO. Don't care for the Soldano/5150 tone ). His playing has went downhill, which makes him require more gain. Id pay a lot to see him play through an old Plexi. He probably wouldn't stand a chance, unless he practiced a bit ( old, as in pre 900, Marshall amps are very articulate even if they sound like *** at low volumes ). Plus, the Strat style guitars sound better than the Wolfgang style guitars ( I don't like basswood ). When they get Mr. Anthony back and Eddie brings out the Frankenstrat, his old Super Lead, his VINTAGE MXR Phase 90 and Flanger, his GE-10, and his Echoplexes maybe we can talk. Oh, and if he practiced more and when Dave realizes he ain't 25.....

[thumbup]

Archived