Gibson Brands Forums

Ace Frehley guitar

Nightspore68

I see Gibson's making a rather expensive Ace Frehley edition Les Paul, MSRP $7,529. For an extra five grand someone will beat the S%^t out of it for you. (And that's a topic on its own.)

Is anyone actually interested in such a guitar? I don't mean to disparage anyone (except members of KISS), but is anyone really inspired by guys who had to wear theater makeup to make it?

I like "Back in the New York Groove" as much as the next guy, but I can't imagine anyone who actually plays guitar is inspired by Ace Frehley.

Prove me wrong, though. Do any of you think this guitar is a good idea?

How about living and let live?

You sound pissed about it, at least that is the way you come across,

If there isn't a market the guitar will not sell, if there is one then the guitar will sell and make those people that choose to spend their money in any way they wish happy. It's simple really.

I have never been a Kiss fan but this does not bother me.

The market is over-saturated with guitars, my guess is that we will see more artists limited runs at high prices.

You have to make less guitars and end up making the same money, as long as you do the proper market research to know you will have buyers...of course the Firebird X is an exception, ha!

Really? OK, I stand corrected. I wonder if there will be others. It can't be just you.

Ace is definitely one of the guys that inspired me as a kid to pick up the guitar. If I could afford it, I'd get that guitar...and probably just keep it in a case, or on the wall. Especially if I could get him to autograph the body. LOL

I grew up with Ace as a hero so ill try to keep this short lol,yes he is/was a rock and roll icon,the makeup was a novelty that came,went and came back <thank god hehe> ya cant bash the guy about the makeup imo,thats one of the novelties that has kept this band around since 1974.How many bands that were together in 1974 are still playin "arena size" gigs? Just sayin.As much as i love KISS pre "elder" Ace wasnt one of the iconic guitar players known for his shredding ability,he, in my opinion was a novelty guitar player in a novelty band and he played it to the tee.Cheers to Ace & ROCK ON !!!!! p.s. sure the guitar is outrageous $$ but check out musicians friends private reserve,$15,000-$20,000 for a guitar? [cursing]

I probably wouldn't be playing guitar if it wasn't for Ace. And if you are gonna bash upon any members of Kiss, then take it out on Gene. Ace, Peter, and even Paul didn't necessarily need the act to make something of themselves, but Gene did. Even so, its not like they sat down and said, "If we wanna make it big then we need to dress up", they just wanted to be different from every other band at the time (most of those sounded like Zeppelin ripoffs). That's like cutting down Ozzy and Alice Cooper for making it a show to compliment the music. Who is inspired by the Spaceman? Uhm, Dimebag, Paul Gilbert, John 5, George Lynch, EVH, Slash, Snake Sabo (of Skid Row. Did an awesome cover of "Snowblind" from Ace's 1978 self-titled solo release, which featured the uber magnificent drumwork of a Mr. Anton Fig), and many others. Before you question his awesomeness, listen to any of his solo albums or his Frehley's Comet releases. He WAY better and more creative solo than he was with Kiss (same went for George Harrison). I feel that he deserves the honor of a tribute Les Paul (as they're aren't many LP's like his). I'd probably never buy one, but I'm happy that Gibson acknowledged him (How many Slash Les Paul's can you possibly have?). BTW, as far as that pic of him with the Firebird X is concerned, I can tell his expression under those shades is "Oh for the love of God, Henry". He was only there because he and Henry are good buds. Also, read his book, "No Regrets", and buy his most recent release, 2009's "Anomaly". Lots of hilarious stories and some great tunes. I saw him at Rockin' the Rivers in Three Forks, MT, last August, and I was blown away (and I am a pretty harsh critic). To be honest, your topic "shocked me".....

Really? OK, I stand corrected. I wonder if there will be others. It can't be just you.

I'm not really a KISS fan, casual fan at best, but Ace is a Rock'n'Roll Icon!

He may not be as good as today's shredders, but he has 10,000% way more cool and that's good enough for me. [thumbup]

I would own that guitar if I had the spare funds for it, I actually like his older Gibson signature model better, but this is cool too and I hate Les Pauls.

Who is inspired by the Spaceman? Uhm, Dimebag, Paul Gilbert, John 5, George Lynch, EVH, Slash, Snake Sabo (of Skid Row. Did an awesome cover of "Snowblind" from Ace's 1978 self-titled solo release, which featured the uber magnificent drumwork of a Mr. Anton Fig), and many others.

Anybody else notice that the OP has a 2008 Gibson USA Slash Les Paul Standard listed in his signature?

Oh the irony.

BTW, I think there is a non-VOS model coming out that is a lot more reasonably priced. See this:-

http://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_ace_frehley_les_paul_custom.htm

Anybody else notice that the OP has a 2008 Gibson USA Slash Les Paul Standard listed in his signature?

Oh the irony.

BTW, I think there is a non-VOS model coming out that is a lot more reasonably priced. See this:-

http://www.thomann.d...paul_custom.htm

As I say, it can't really be that different than any other 70s LP Custom with Super Distortions it it (other than the fact than Ace's original was likely a really good one and it spoke to him), but its not about it being another Les Paul that people can pick up and do their thang with, its about the tribute. Its a testament to the man who gave us Cold Gin, Parasite, Strange Ways, Shock Me, Rocket Ride, Rip It Out, Snowblind, Speedin' Back to My Baby, Hard Times, Save Your Love, Torpedo Girl, Talk to Me, Two Sides of The Coin, Rock Soldiers, Into the Night, Into the Void, Pain in the Neck, an awesome cover of the Stones's "2,000 Man, a good reason to buy the Dynasty and Unmasked albums, and an inspiration to pick up the guitar.

unlike KISS, Ace is cool.

Mind you bro nobody ever claimed Ace was the best guitarist outta the 70s... but he damn sure was INFLUENTIAL.

and Ace helped that company sell plenty of Les Pauls. not only his chops... but also thanks to the Gibson shout out on the back of the LP Alive.

on a side note, Ace was also an early supporter of the NYC Punk movement. Pretty cool dude.

I'll grab the epi in due time.

If I could afford it, I'd buy one. Ace was one of the inspirations that got me playing guitar...and for someone who aspires to be a lead player but isn't at the point where they can shred yet, Ace gives you a starting point of easy solos to learn. He may have had limited vocabulary as a guitarist in the Kiss days, but he managed to take that limited vocabulary and make dozens of memorable solos that all sound different. Learning Ace's solos is an exercise on phrasing.

I typically don't buy signature guitars, but I'd make an exception for this one. The thing with signature guitars is that they are made to the specs of someone who often spent years learning what he liked in a guitar and that list of specs may not necesarily compliment my playing style. While I have all different types of guitars with different specs, the most comfortable necks on my guitars are the SG and my American Deluxe strat.

The thing is, I've given up a long time ago on trying to sound like someone specific. If I bought a signature guitar it would be because it's a great instrument, but I probably would use it for a tone that is totally different from the endorsee's tone. For example, when I owned a Matt Guitar Murphy sig model from Cort...it was designed for a blues guitarist, but I was playing hard rock with it.

If you don't like Ace that's fine, but you can't deny he influenced a lot of guitar players, especially when they come out and state it as another poster mentioned. As I recall, Ace had the highest selling LP signature model.

Ace is one of the three main reasons I wanted to pick up a guitar with Jimmy Page and Alex Lifeson being the other two.

I wish people would stop being so feakin' narcissistic and realize the world does not depend on or revolve around their opinions.

Totally get it and I’m glad for the Ace fanatics that they can get one of these Les Pauls! I don’t own any signature guitars, but that’s only because Fender hasn’t made a Yardbirds era Jeff Beck model Esquire yet. If they did I would have to own one, no matter the cost, and play Beck’s Train Kept a Rolling solos until I was blue in the face.

Personally I love Ace and I can’t even count the number of times I’ve watched the Kiss live footage on the Michael Douglas show from ’74 on youtube. Ace at his raw best, in my opinion.

Anyone posting negative comments here takes themselves way too serious and shouldn’t even be spoken to directly, but mocked, it’s what they fear the most.

He may have limited vocabulary but at least he doesn't claim to be a virtuoso. But the man had chops and I can listen to him play all\ day long. Sure, guys like Steve Vai and Paul Gilbert are technically better but, as much as I love them (especially Gilbert), I can only stomach so much shred. Jimmy Page is sloppy, somewhat limited (not taking away his status as the only guy that makes DADGAD look easy) as a rock player, but he is immortalized as a virtuoso. Jeff Beck and Hendrix were/are virtuosos. Pagey is not. His solos are easily learnable if you have the ear (and the ability to skip strings like him). A lot of people sound like him. Nobody's ever reached Beck or Hendrix levels of virtuosity. Or Gilmour, for that matter. I don't give a damn if someone can play scales at 100000 bpm . I like guys that can just wail away, like Alvin Lee at Woodstock. Also, my three main heros are Page, Frehley, and Lifeson! Dazed and Confused, Snowblind, and La Villa Strangiato rule!

Archived