Gibson Brands Forums

What songs you working on these days????

onewilyfool

I did a post like this a while back, and put my songs on, BUT, I got so many good ideas for other songs by fellow forumites posting what they were working on, that I thought I would post again.....here are three I'm working on:

1. I'll be your baby tonight.......Bob Dylan

2. Hide your love away.....Beatles

3. The Weight.........the Band

let's see what everyone is working on!!!

I did a post like this a while back' date=' and put my songs on, BUT, I got so many good ideas for other songs by fellow forumites posting what they were working on, that I thought I would post again.....here are three I'm working on:

1. I'll be your baby tonight.......Bob Dylan

2. Hide your love away.....Beatles

3. The Weight.........the Band

let's see what everyone is working on!!![/quote']

Great songs OWF

I'm doing a gig with my teacher in a couple of weeks so I'm persevering with Room 335 (I'll play rhythm) and the lead on Black Magic Woman. I've been working on the former for ages!!

Stuff I'm working on for Liz and I (my singing partner) is:

Let Your Loss Be Your Lesson and Gone, Gone, Gone - both from Raising Sand by Alison Krauss and Robert Plant.

Galway Girl - Steve Earle is another I'd like to really nail.

Gregg Allman - Come and Go Blues (Hank Jr's version Open G)

Steve Earle - My Old Friend The Blues

Caryl Hayes - Dark Side Of Town (Midnight Rider)

Reckless Kelly - She Sang The Red River Valley

And' date=' 2 of my own...

Biscuits N' Gravy

Works For Me[/quote']

reckless kelly just played my venue last night. great live band. i picked up their latest cd "bullet proof" at the show and gave it listen today. have identified at least one off there i'll want to learn. i'll look up the one you mentioned as well.

Mediterranean Breakfast, by Sue Foley--pretty straightforward pentatonic, but tasty all over, acoustic and electric.

Almost anything Peter Green (including BMW, Albert John)

and always working on Little Wing, Todd, as it is an endless opportunity.

I wish I was more talented so things came a little easier.

Hey jannus - Yeah, great band. 'She Sang The Red River Valley' is from their 'Live At Stubbs' CD - some nice acoustic numbers on there. I've already worked up 'American Blood' from Bulletproof. Love their version of Alejandro Escovedos 'Castinets'. They have some great acoustic songs that go over great at the coffeehouse open mic night. Check out 'Loving You'...it's hilarious

i've been writing like a fiend. its been very slow at work so lots of time for daydreaming, lyric writing and humming melodies into my pocket recorder (and you thought i was happy to see you!).

check out speed of light by joseph arthur ...

or if you're feeling randy, my 2 new songs are up on my site listed in my sig. comments and constructive critism welcome - chemically-inbalanced tirades..not so much.

Haven't begun in a serious way to dig into Vincent Black Lightning yet but have been learning "Christian Conservative' date=' Right-wing Republican" by Todd Snyder.

[/quote']

+!, tw! (can i call you tom?) here's his new one. direct hit to the exiting (thankfully) bush regime.

"fighting for peace is like screaming for quite."

and here's one for all you nor-westers... you ever been in this jail?

gotta love todd and his epi j200 - god bless cheap guitar lovers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq2GKvTRKY4

Hi ladies and gents... hope you don't mind me putting my two pennyworth in? I'll set the scene first, as my songs probably seem really basic! I've only been playing for a couple o'years, bit of a late developer:

Books from Boxes - Maximo Park (UK "indie" I guess)

Wichita Lineman - Glenn Campbell

Substitute - The Who

Want you back - Jackson 5

If you could only see - Tonic

And there's more.... I'm probably slightly guilty of the "marmite factor" here (sorry if that makes no sense to many).... I'm spreading myself too thinly I think.......?

I am working on a few songs right now. My goal is to get up to being able to sing and play and make the two work together.

Stranger Blues - This is my version based loosely on versions by Sonny Terry/Brownie McGee and Doc Watson.

When ye Go Away - The WaterBoys off Fisherman's Blues LP

It's My Lazy Day - Originally recorded by Gene Autry

A simple little love song I wrote for my Wife

My Creole Bell - Mississippi John Hurt

Deep River Blues - Doc Watson I am just starting on this one.

... Well... I'm working on fingering for solo fingerstyle David Rose "The Stripper," going nuts figuring a "classical guitar style" fingering for "Laura," and then a couple of different ways to do "CC Rider." Been doing that latter since the mid 1960s and never happy with it. Still diddling with "You Belong to Me" ("See the pyramids along the Nile") and "Old Cape Cod," both from the 50s basically, and better concepts for guitar only on "Por una cabeza" tango and "Malaguena Salarosa."

Guys working on backup or solo work on some Dylan stuff (like "be my baby tonite" may wanna think "ragtime" or kinda an old fashioned "stride piano" sorta bass line. That's easy enough and plain enuf to back a vocal whether flatpicked or fingerstyle.

One thing for sure - working at the edge of your head is great to save cash on liquor or movies whether you ever play the stuff in public or not.

Archived