Gibson Brands Forums

Shame On Me

Buc McMaster

I just got off the phone with my buddy at Southpaw Guitars that I have traded with since he opened his store in the mid-80s. Scarey to consider the number of instruments we have passed between us over the years. Anyway...... He's got one of those 2009 LTD J-45 Goldtop guitars that I played for awhile when I bought the Hummingbird. They made 50 of them right handed with an unknown number of lefties.....can't be but a handful of them around. He offered me a great price and I told him to put my name on it until I can drive over on Saturday. Shame on me. Saturday might be a NGD.

(On a side note, he told me that two days ago some one hooked a chain to his front door, yanked it down and made off with several Les Pauls and PRS guitars. Ouch.)

Surprise - - - but understandable. Are you positive the Goldtop is the better of the three slopes. . .

And btw. have you tried, , , and if yes – what are the differences between the Firebird and the Dove ? - Sound as well as otherwise.

Very interested in this as I have been fishing those waters through a period, but decided to wait another round.

That's some piece of Bozeman Gibson history right there.

But there is no way Buc is getting rid of his Hummingbird, at least not as far the universe exists inside of my mind goes. I'm guessing he's breaking his "only one guitar at a time" rule.

Yeah.....I can think of several choice words for thieves like that.

Goldtop 45

jeez buc you have a knack for finding nice uns

am loving that crazy pickguard , i wouldnt get excited over a blonde guitar but amazing how that guard suits it so well

i notice that when they put the guard on the wrong side they position it correctly though :-)

i hope it sounds half as good as it looks

lookin forward to the videos

I just got off the phone with my buddy at Southpaw Guitars that I have traded with since he opened his store in the mid-80s. Scarey to consider the number of instruments we have passed between us over the years. Anyway...... He's got one of those 2009 LTD J-45 Goldtop guitars that I played for awhile when I bought the Hummingbird. They made 50 of them right handed with an unknown number of lefties.....can't be but a handful of them around. He offered me a great price and I told him to put my name on it until I can drive over on Saturday. Shame on me. Saturday might be a NGD.

(On a side note, he told me that two days ago some one hooked a chain to his front door, yanked it down and made off with several Les Pauls and PRS guitars. Ouch.)

I also spotted that Gold Top & seriously considered shipping it across the pond......in the end I decided my marriage was more important! [smile]

Yessiree I'm keeping the Hummingbird! No way this one's getting away! So yes, I'm bending my one guitar policy a bit. The goldtop is a prime candidate, but there was an SJ there as well (behind the goldtop in the photo) that I almost bought instead of the H'Bird. And last night I was remembering the Collings SJ there too.......spectacular instrument! I've been leary of long scale though, and it is, but it has a wonderful warm tone that stuck in my head. I intend to give that one a good go as well. We'll see what the morrow brings......

Yessiree I'm keeping the Hummingbird! No way this one's getting away! So yes, I'm bending my one guitar policy a bit. The goldtop is a prime candidate, but there was an SJ there as well (behind the goldtop in the photo) that I almost bought instead of the H'Bird. And last night I was remembering the Collings SJ there too.......spectacular instrument! I've been leary of long scale though, and it is, but it has a wonderful warm tone that stuck in my head. I intend to give that one a good go as well. We'll see what the morrow brings......

Good luck, Buc! I immediately noticed that SJ behind the Goldtop, but then again, I love SJs! Either would be awesome, assuming they sound as good as they look.

I live in Houston, but have never been to Southpaw as I am a rightie. Still, I have always wanted to stop in just to take a look around. Afraid it would be too heart wrenching though if I find an awesome guitar I can't play!

Go for it Buc! For years, no decades, I stuck to the 1 guitar rule ..... "can't play but one at a time" I would say. Owning two guitars is a practical thing and really quite nice. When one is down, you got the other .... when a pickin' bud come over without a guitar, you both can play. Swithching between nice guitars in a single playing session is now one of my favorite things.

Do it man.

I immediately noticed that SJ behind the Goldtop, but then again, I love SJs! Either would be awesome, assuming they sound as good as they look.

The SJ is great! I had nearly settled on buying it when I tried the Hummingbird that I now have. I took both into a small back room in the store and played them for an hour or so, deciding on the H'Bird in the end. And I expect I'll try the SJ again tomorrow, if it's still there. I'm not sold on the Goldtop yet.....I want to play it again. But that Collings SJ is front & center in my thinking today. I want to give it a good go before I decide. It is a used instrument but you can't tell to look at it......clean as a whistle. And beautiful to boot: flamed maple everywhere, the famous "haircut" headstock. Size wise it's much like a J-185, a small jumbo. It will be a fun adventure......

Well, I know how it is. I am trying to sell my two Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500(M and R) models to fund a J45. I figure I need to scale back, and take quality over quanity, (since I love the J45 model) well, at least thats what Im telling myself. It never ends. Its just a sick cycle Im afraid.

The SJ is great! I had nearly settled on buying it when I tried the Hummingbird that I now have. I took both into a small back room in the store and played them for an hour or so, deciding on the H'Bird in the end. And I expect I'll try the SJ again tomorrow, if it's still there. I'm not sold on the Goldtop yet.....I want to play it again. But that Collings SJ is front & center in my thinking today. I want to give it a good go before I decide. It is a used instrument but you can't tell to look at it......clean as a whistle. And beautiful to boot: flamed maple everywhere, the famous "haircut" headstock. Size wise it's much like a J-185, a small jumbo. It will be a fun adventure......

I can't make out the scratchguard. Is it a Woody Guthrie or an Aaron Lewis or ANOther?

I can't make out the scratchguard. Is it a Woody Guthrie or an Aaron Lewis or ANOther?

I seem to recall it being a New Vintage model. White button individual machines, pickup......I think that's it. On a sad note, the Collings SJ is sold....gone with the wind.

Archived