Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Raises Price on Es-339

guitarzan55

Just got a Guitar Center Catalogue in the mail. Found it interesting to see the es-339's with a new price of $2299.00 as compared to the regular price of $1999.00 -- the price I paid for mine.

A nice guitar, I believe the 339 is now properly priced. I assume that Gibson must have a winner in this one. Don't see many (if any) performers using it though ...

They used to be $1799.00 when they first came out.

Yes, I was fortunate enough to pick mine up new in '09 @ 15% off of $1799, which represented a super good buy. $1999 is still a very reasonable price, but a few days ago I noticed an increase on the carmel colored 339 at one of the web sites, and most likely they'll become more expensive across the board. Might be a good time to scoop one up somewhere @ $1999. In many cases, I've found that Guitar Center's in-store price holds a while longer than the internet sites.

It's odd...I used to notice price increases, with MF, and Guitar Center, a lot...

and my own dealer's price, would remain the same, even though MF and GC's were

constantly changing. Point being, it may not be Gibson, but Guitar Center, that's

changing the selling price. My dealer also only changes price, reflecting the

true difference, they have to pay, wholesale. So, it rarely goes up, as much as

I've seen GC and MF go up, on the same items. As always, look/shop around! [thumbup]

CB

This is more the case of the dollar losing value. It makes EVERYTHING appear to go up in price.

The Custom Shop ES-339 is STILL a good value at the new price.

A great guitar.

100_0340.jpg

Guest EastEnder

Musician's Friend uses the "Gibson won't allow further discounts" line whenever you try to deal with them. Their colleagues at Guitar Center are way more flexible, but you'll get a guitar that has experienced every abuse short of being thrown up on (except in Hollywood, where vomiting is de rigeur).

MF, GC, 123, WWBW — all off my list.

I will only deal with retail sources that love what they're selling. Price is secondary to satisfaction.

This is more the case of the dollar losing value. It makes EVERYTHING appear to go up in price.

The Custom Shop ES-339 is STILL a good value at the new price.

A great guitar.

100_0340.jpg

Murph, Sweet Bearssssssss shirt! I too am a major Bears Fan. I'm originally from Warrenville if you know where that is. Go BEARSSSS!!!

You know, I noticed that the ES-137 really skyrocketed in price. I remember when I first saw one of those puppies at Sam Ash back in what had to be around 2002ish, they were going for, and I might be a little off here, but not by much, for around $1200. I also remember and this WAS the late 90's, seeing 135's for under a grand. I guess it's in inflation, but I always chalked it up to, at least in the case of the 137, Gibson trying out a new product , and once there was some success, raise the price because they knew it was working in the market. Kind of like an introductory rate for those ballsy enough to get on board early. Which certainly is not a bad thing. but the 339's have been out for years now, maybe it also has something to do with the ongoing legal troubles?

Has Gibson discontinued the CS-356? I got my previously owned 356 a few years ago for about $2200.00. It's supposed to be one of only two in Tangerine Burst but I buy the instrument not the story. Still... it's a killer guitar!

356a.jpg

That guitar is absolutely stunning!

Hey Murph! Nice to hear from you. I still love mine and I owe it all it Murph. I always thought it was a steal for 2k. I think it's still a great buy. I see that a figured top one is now going for $3,250 at GC. Got mine for a LOT less. Don't think I'd pay that much for a figured top.

Hey Murph! Nice to hear from you. I still love mine and I owe it all it Murph.

Thanks rocketman...

Yep, they are a great bargin, and a great player. I actually bought a Wine Red studio for a backup (like I needed another guitar) after Les died because I didn't own a Les Paul and it too, is a great guitar. But the ES-339 is still my favorite "grab and go" electric.

Murph!!!

How ya treating that 339?

From the looks of it, you're getting along fine. [thumbup]

Thanks California.

I'm great, been sober for over 2 years and mostly doing acoustic music. Check out some Punch Brothers.

I'm finding the 339 to be just a great "all around" guitar period even with the higher price it is a bargain because of the wider range of music you can play with it.

Not quite the tone monster my Lifeson 355 is but it is really close.

Not quite the snarl rocker of my LP but it is really close.

Would love a tremolo model but that's nit picking. May add a Bigsby to mine.

Not many guitars do a [nearly] excellent job from jazz, to country, to blues, to classic rock, to hard rock.

And, I grab mine all the time and just play it acoustically on the couch when I can't sleep or whatever.

Easily my best "value" Gibbie to date and AH those 57s!

And you find the right ma and pa store, they can be had for $1600 of that $1999 price elsewhere. If the new pricing is driven by Gibson and not GC/MF, then I suspect the right ma and pa price will be $1825 or so. Though I don't applaud price increases on already expensive guitars, it's still a great value.

Murph, Sweet Bearssssssss shirt! I too am a major Bears Fan. I'm originally from Warrenville if you know where that is. Go BEARSSSS!!!

This should be a good year. With Cutler healed up, Forte back/healthy and the old guys (Briggs/Urlacher/Peppers) with a chip on their shoulder and realizing THIS is their last shot, and also probably Lovies last shot as well.

Yeah, the difference in the prices is interesting. I'm looking at the Guitar Center catalogue as I type this and they list All of their 339's at 2299.00 They show the Cherry and the Sunburst in the ad and say "Pick One." So, at Guitar Center, the price hike is not limited to one color guitar.

But when I check the Musicians' Friend site, it would appear that the 339's price is still 1999.00 Doesnt Musicians's friend own Guitar Center? One thing seems clear, though - you can still get a 339 at the price of 1999.00.

Archived