Gibson Brands Forums

a ‘quantum leap in guitar technology’?

S t e v e

Greater tuning precision? Seems simple enough. But I have a feeling it isn't goint to sweep guitar-world by storm. If anything, probably start off at the botique level and possibly take off to a limited degree from there. Kinda like Buzz Feiten and Plek tech. A few builders have been using various non-traditional fret configurations for awhile now, ie. Dingwall basses. Doesn't seem to have spread very far yet, though.

Guest farnsbarns

Makes sense scientifically. Now put it in the real world...

Does the rest of the band have the same same non-tempered 12 tone scale? No? Oh dear!

Want to raise or lower your action from factory specs? Yes? Oh dear!

Want to change string gauge? Yes? Oh dear!

Want to change string brand? Yes? Oh dear!

Want to have your frets recrowned several times before replacement is needed? Yes? Oh dear!

Want to have your frets replaced reasonably locally? Yes? Oh dear!

Want to adjust intonation at the bridge yourself? Yes? Oh dear?

Not for me!

Yeah.. interesting for sure but the article is from 2009 so I doubt it will catch on any time soon unless maybe Gibson, Fender and the like all start using it..

Plus maybe for people like Steve Vai its worth it cos they are perfectionists.. I think most rockers for instance couldnt care less about such small details they just pick up and play :)

I think it's an amazing idea and I get how it works, however ...having him demo it is like having Wayne Gretzky demo a new hockey stick...how will this pan out for beginners and average players? I can appreciate the idea but I think I still prefer the old way, but,...I am not Steve, or Jimmy or...

It's been tried before and never caught on. I think if it was great it would have reached the mainstream by now.

Hello, you're on the Gibson forum - the community that complains when Gibson does something that differs from the fifties and sixties. The guitar world is easily one of the most conservative worlds I've seen.

Hello, you're on the Gibson forum - the community that complains when Gibson does something that differs from the fifties and sixties. The guitar world is easily one of the most conservative worlds I've seen.

That and oatmeal world........I want maple and brown sugar damn it...not that apple and cinnimon crap!!!

Yeah.. interesting for sure but the article is from 2009 so I doubt it will catch on any time soon unless maybe Gibson, Fender and the like all start using it..

I saw it back then (I actually posted it here but it's always good to get new opinions). As an engineer you'd think I'd like this, but I kinda like imperfection.

It all has to do with two variables: One has to do with pitch and one has to do with playability.

The tempered scale has worked quite well - and is likely to work better when everyone is in the same set of notes.

And... I can't imagine trying to play the way I play with those offset curvy frets. I'm sure one might get used to it, but...

Besides, I think whether "we" like a robot guitar or a tiny computer inside our guitars, as long as the general shape of things is stable, it's not going to be overly distracting. Even slightly longer or slightly shorter scale is not all that hard to cope with. But curly frets? I dunno. I think it would be as distracting, or more so, than a super-different setup than what we're used to such as superheavy strings set very high if we're used to very light strings set very low - or vice versa.

m

[biggrin] I think the electric guitar world in general has far too many rules, prejudices and general snobbery for an instrument that is played mostly for a style that is meant to just let it all hang out and not give a **** - i.e rock n roll!

The vast majority of younger generation of classical musicians I have met/watched perform, met online, read interviews with are far more rock n' roll.

Matt

Very interesting....

The temperament issue seems to have settled in to what we are used to nowadays

It can be revealing to blow a baroque flute or similar and experience the difference between enharmonic notes

Like F# and Gb

A lot of 'world music' is played on slightly crude instruments with 'out of tune' notes

Which can sound rather good.... [biggrin]

V

:-({|=

I played a fender start set up with a true temperament neck i was really surprised by two things. First that it felt fairly normal and the curved frets didn't really feel any different because you fingers hit flat / straight area's. And secondly that sadly I couldn't really feel or here any difference that would make it worth adding to a guitar sure it probably had a more perfect intonation but my ears sure weren't good enough to hear it.

Maybe if your at Vai's level you can here a difference but I couldn't

I think it would be interesting to play.

I think also, more than we realize, we create our own tuning issues by how we hit the strings and our own individual styles than what this would correct. I also tend to think that it is not really an issue at all, or rather important. I think nearly all instruments or notes played are a little off, and for the most part it adds to the musicality.

Vibrato, for instance. It can only make the note more sharp. But, at the same time, the slight sharpness of the note adds to the musical tension and excitement that we are usually trying to express.

I do notice something about playing with keyboard players, in the the blending of chord structures often doesn't work. I don't think it is a tuning issue, but rather an issue with certain notes being played together that are too close. Even in perfect tune, there are additional resonances that occur when two notes are played close together. What is interesting, is when two chords played by both instruments do go together, the effect is greatly enhanced. I think it has to do with the ever so slight tuning differences cause by two instruments playing in the same range the same notes, but with different vibration qualities.

I don't think this 'bent fret' solves any issues that exist. But I would be curious if the guitar with these could be used in ways or situations that a guitar as we know it doesn't seem to work. Or rather, be used as a 'different' type of instrument.

Archived