Gibson Brands Forums

Your favorite chord to play

swleary

Plain jane first position G...You can go a lot of places and get a lot of sounds out of it, and it's natural for a few fancy add ons. And it sounds good to me on an acoustic, a 12 string or a screaming SG.

mark

E7 on 7th poss (A string), with that extra E on the B string gives it a nice bluezy sound.

---|----|----|---

---|--E|----|---

---|----|----|-D-

---|----|G#|---

---|----|----|-E- (on the 7th fret)

---|----|----|---

off topic...

I know the timbre of a song changes if you play it is Gb or in Ab or Eb but the intervals in the song are the same...only the trembling of the strings are shorter or wider. If you wanna sing a long and E is too low then you play it in F or in G...can you actually say a song is in "Gb"?

Originally played it was in Gb but for another player/singer it maybe altered. Right?

off topic...

I know the timbre of a song changes if you play it is Gb or in Ab or Eb but the intervals in the song are the same...only the trembling of the strings are shorter or wider. If you wanna sing a long and E is too low then you play it in F or in G...can you actually say a song is in "Gb"?

Originally played it was in Gb but for another player/singer it maybe altered. Right?

I don't really understand the question, but the word "timbre" has nothing to do with pitch (frequency). Timbre is the quality of a note played by one instrument compared the same note played by another, e.g. an E-flat played by a guitar versus an E-flat played by a piano.

I don't really understand the question, but the word "timbre" has nothing to do with pitch (frequency). Timbre is the quality of a note played by one instrument compared the same note played by another, e.g. an E-flat played by a guitar versus an E-flat played by a piano.

Englisch is not my native lingo...What I meant, it doesn't matter in what tone the original author wrote the song. If you want to sing along you need to adjust it to yopur voice "range".

If you cover a song it doesn't matter if it is in an other chord then the original. If the chord distances are the same (the patern?) then the song realy sounds the same (a terts is a terts)..

It is just a reaction on the discussion somewhere above if the Hendrix song is in E or Gb or ...

And indeed, your comment about the timbre is correct. My wrong choice of word.

off topic...

To address the point it seems obvious you intended, yes any song can be played in any key (though obviously some are more convenient for any number of reasons). And yes, the post you referred to obviously meant that the song as recorded by Hendrix (the version most familiar anyway) was in the key he said, not that the song MUST be played in that key.

A point though, even with the intervals the same, the song may change character when played in different keys as well. Part of the reason SRV (and sometimes Hendrix) tuned down a half step may have been for ease in vocals, but it also does change the sound qualities of the instrument and give a different "flavor" to a song played on a differently tuned instrument. The same can apply to a song performed in a different key (JMO, YMMV).

Favorite chord? Probably also the "Hendrix" chord, though I really need to learn more theory so I know the names of some others (and why they do or don't work). Not a real technical player, and it does limit me. That's the thing I feel I need the most work on.

Spoken like a true Progressive. I, too, see no need to discriminate.

In before the lock!

I just love music, and you need all the notes to make music, and all the notes make up all the chords.

Yep, the best chord is the one that fits.

• 2 weeks later...

off topic...

Yes, a song can be played in Gb or F# or any other flat or sharp.

That is why God invented capos. [biggrin]

We transpose all the time in Bluegrass. There are some so-called 'purists' who say a particular song MUST be played in a particular key because that is the way A.P. Carter played it or "The Big Mon" played it. This is why some Bluegrassers sound awful. A.P. Carter and "The Big Mon" played it in a particular key because that was the key they could sing it in. You play the song in a key the lead singer can sing it, end of story.

Generally speaking, in Bluegrass, we stay out of the flat and sharp keys. C G D A are the norm. E if you must. Anything else and you get into other than whole note chords. But if the vocalist insists on Bb, then capo up one and play as if in A.

Surprised no one mention the 'diminish' chord(unless you guys call it different). I find you can go up or down from one chord to another using the diminish. Also, an 'A' diminish could be called a 'C#', 'Eb', or a 'F#' diminish depending on the key. And very easy to go from an 'A' dim to a 'Bb' dim just by moving up one fret.

Surprised no one mention the 'diminish' chord(unless you guys call it different). I find you can go up or down from one chord to another using the diminish. Also, an 'A' diminish could be called a 'C#', 'Eb', or a 'F#' diminish depending on the key. And very easy to go from an 'A' dim to a 'Bb' dim just by moving up one fret.

Edit: Another cool thing about a diminished seventh chord is that you can lower one of any of the notes in the chord by one fret and the chord then becomes the dominant seventh of the lowered note (which becomes the I).

Pat Martino

A close second would be A an octave above, with a killswitch no less! Yes, I am talking about the Alive! version of Cold Gin....

He's using the toggle switch with the neck pickup rolled off to get that staccato effect. He hits that A5 (5th position) chord and switches back and forth between the middle and bridge pickup positions.

An A-chord is my go-to chord as well.....

Another cool thing about a diminished seventh chord is that you can lower one of any of the notes in the chord by one fret and the chord then becomes the seventh of the lowered note (which becomes the I).

Pat Martino

That Pat Martino link is some great stuff, thanks! [thumbup]

Archived