Gibson Brands Forums

RIP **** Clark of American Bandstand

tazzboy

Yes, I caught it on CNN.

Bandstand was so big back in the day (1952 to 1989).

Both Clark and Cornelius passed away this year.

RIP D!ck and Don.

Two giants who will be missed but their legacy will live on.

Lol! Love the way "Richard's Common Name" is immediately changed by the Forum!

Rock on, Richard...

American Bandstand was must see TV when I was a teenager...

RIP **** Clark, one of the icons of my youth.

Guess I can't say d*ck here.

One word - Payola. ....

You left out the part where he was not prosecuted by the investigation.

D!ck Clark was brought for examination by the Congressional committee investigating the Payola Scandal. He had an ownership stake in something like 30 different record labels and a slew songwriting credits. In the months before the hearings, Clark had divested his ownership interests in all music production businesses and songs from which he earned royalties as a credited songwriter. He cooperated with the committee and they decided not to prosecute. Other people like, the Alan Freed, were prosecuted.

**** Clark was a composer?

What did **** write?

Back in the 50s, you didn't actually have to do much too get a writing credit - nudge, nudge, wink, wink. By using his position with Bandstand, D!ck was cut in on the songwriting credits for records he otherwise had nothing to do with - kind of a creative sideline to payola. He did divest himself of those interests and cooperated with the Congressional Payola investigation and thereby escaped prosecution.

You left out the part where he was not prosecuted by the investigation.

D!ck Clark was brought for examination by the Congressional committee investigating the Payola Scandal. He had an ownership stake in something like 30 different record labels and a slew songwriting credits. In the months before the hearings, Clark had divested his ownership interests in all music production businesses and songs from which he earned royalties as a credited songwriter. He cooperated with the committee and they decided not to prosecute. Other people like, the Alan Freed, were prosecuted.

All true.

Maybe **** Clark's mom or **** Clark's Dad or **** Clark's grandparents should have lobbied for a better name than ****. Maybe ****, Jr. :-k

Maybe we should all refer to **** Clark as Click Dark and we won't get censored.

TommyK, **** Clark Fan

How can we have a New Year's Eve Party without **** Clark? Maybe the Mayan end-of-the-world scenario has just been confirmed...???

He'll definitely be missed. :(

So....

D!ck Clark dies in the year we aren't supposed to have a New Years Eve.......

Well played, Mayans. Well played....

Well how did people celebrate before D!ck Clark did his rockin' New Year's show in 1971. They same way they did when he miss the one in 2004. The show will go on.

No, it won't

The world ends on 12/21.

The Mayans said so....

[biggrin]

No, it won't

The world ends on 12/21.

The Mayans said so....

[biggrin]

Nuh unh! [-( Ted said we'll be here next year. Ted might not. He said,"I'll be either in jail or dead by this time next year." [sneaky]

Archived