Gibson Brands Forums

What Is Your Maintenance Routine, and how often?

Dynadude

Just curious as to how others with multiple guitars handle this chore.

It seems that some people NEVER do anything, and seem to get by with few problems. I know they will eventually do damage to their equipment, but look at the time they save. =D>

I spend about 4 hours on my 6 working guitars every month.

I look for corrosion on any metal, and replace strings at this time, if needed. I don't gig anymore, so they stay on until they show obvious wear, or lose their tone. Anyone with playing experience can hear the dead ones.

I inspect for cracks in the finish around any area that has stress.

I check for loose nuts and screws, and check batteries at this time also.

Each gets a quick check of the action with a feeler gauge after the strings are cleaned.

Any scratchy pots get a cleaning with electronics spray cleaner.

I lemon oil the fret boards, as needed. Not every month. It seems to depend on how much you play the guitar, and the local climate.

Each gets a good cleaning after all the handling.

I clean the inside of the cases pretty regularly also. A piece of crud in there can ruin your day, when you take the guitar out and notice a scuff in the finish.

Please share your routine here, and maybe offer advice or share short cuts.

I change strings after 3/4 gigs. It's more of a trust thing. Intonation doesn't change because I stay with 10's on the ES-339. Wipe it down before, after, ect. Not big into fretboard oil, it's gets mine, and some fingerease.

My last Lester was a '72 Recording, and it never needed a trussrod adjustment and it gigged for 14 years.

My previous #1 was a '91 tele that needed a touchup on the truss rod 1 time in about 3/4 years of gigging.

My new ES-339 came perfect from Memphis. Still good after 2/3 months. This guitar is the bomb.

Best of luck.

Murph.

Drench in sweat, spit on, smear with blood and spill whiskey on guitars: daily.

Restring with Ernie Ball 10s: typically, every two or three weeks UNLESS I'm playing a gig (new set each time) or doing a session (once at the beginning, and as needed throughout).

Wipe down with Dunlop 65: when I just can't stand the grime anymore.

Don't get me wrong...I adore my guitars, but they're tools and they each get used extensively. I don't have a budget to have "babied" guitars that don't get rigorously played. I also don't really like the look of brand new guitars. Any issues relating to the performance of my guitar are addressed as needed, anything cosmetic takes the back-burner.

I just complain when my hollow archtop loses its tuning when the temps/air pressure/humidity changes. Otherwise when the strings sound dead, I change 'em.

I do clean the box up a bit if I slobber on it or drop an ash on the neck, but otherwise... not really much. I've never had to dink with much in the way of refixing a guitar otherwise after it's once more or less set up to what I do.

Constantly checking for cracks in the finish would drive me nuts! If it happens it happens.

I just play them, wipe them down and put them in their case. When the strings feel old, I replace them and oil the board, if needed. Check the neck and I'm good to go. If the neck feels sticky, I sometimes use Gibson pump polish, but usually just a dry cloth...the VOS guitars got a dose of Virtuoso, but that's it.

I do keep a record of everything I do. It's easy to lose track...

I would like to add a warning on this subject, for anyone that is not savvy on the subject.

NEVER USE LIQUID GOLD!!!!!!

A friend of mine RUINED a '73 LP with that stuff. It was a very light color, perhaps called natural. (don't recall)

I tried to warn him, when he first started putting it on his guitars, that it was a scratch cover stain, but he thought it was a good preservative.

Eventually, it seeped through all the little cracks in the laquer, and made the guitar look like a road map.

In short, never use any thin liquid to polish or clean the finish. You'll be sorry.

GHS Fast Fret. I use it before/during/after I even so much as touch a guitar. Keeps strings, frets, & board feeling like a dream. It prolongs string life to an insane degree.

I guess my routine is Fast Fret, polish when I feel like it, change strings when they sound dead (which isn't too often), and I check intonation etc. every time I play and adjust that kind of thing on the spot.

Twice a year, april/may and October/November, when the weather really changes here in Canada. I usually change all the strings, set intonation and truss rod if required, and clean. I go over it all with attention to detail. Basically a tune-up twice a year. What ever happens in between - even that requires repair, I don't do until then, that's the only time... I always wipe my prize down after play, but not the others.

Archived