Gibson Brands Forums

HNGD Les Paul Standard Desert Burst

Gary Moore Tribute

It Finally Arrived (After going to the WRONG dept on Thursday!)

Here we have one of the last 08 Standards Finished 8th September 2011 (Body from PRE RAID 26th July 2011)

Weight 8.2lb's (4lb;s lighter than my Cherry 08)

Here it is as I recieved it (I have to say it has an AWESOME quilt top

SAM_0352.jpg

SAM_0353.jpg

SAM_0354.jpg

SAM_0359.jpg

SAM_0360.jpg

[thumbup] [thumbup] VERY nice as per ususal.. I take it your gonna do your usual plastic bits swap out :)..

Ive also been thinking about the new 2012s.. When I do get a chance to see one I will make up my mind 100%.. But at the moment im leaning towards getting a 336 or 339... I mean I have several LPs that do what I want.. so a nice hollow body I think is in order next :o)

(and I think I may be able to keep my 2008 now, not 100% but its leaning that way :D) I also loves the tops on them.. Yours is a beauty

Well After I tried the 2012 my decision was made to get an 08 I took my time and found this pop up (Pestered the seller [lol] )

This is Stage 1 (Took me about an hour I'd say...)

SAM_0366.jpg

SAM_0368.jpg

SAM_0367.jpg

All Black Covers, Pointers, Knobs, Strap Lok, Tuner Buttons, Truss Rod & Reverese Strung

Stage 2 will be Adding the Pickguard (Probably Tommorrow)

Stage 3 will be to add The Harness from a Traditional, Bumble Bee's, Nylon Saddles & Change that annoying jack for a normal one...

Here's how my base looks like

joe_bonamassa_joeb153_lg5.jpg

I think its a very close match for a saving of £2,000!

PS All the best getting a Semi Accoustic [thumbup]

VERY close indeed :) I really like the black plastic bits change.. im not so sure about the missmatched tone/volumes (but I understand why its done)... Once I finally pay for mine I may do some of those changes myself and take the pickup covers off..

I really like the top on mine which is one of the reasons I got it. Its unusual as you can see the striping and you can stil see the knots of the wood on the top part... As I say its still not 100% so we will see, id be really gutted to have to let it go.

DSC01258.jpg

DSC01284.jpg

Here we have one of the last 08 Standards Finished 8th September 2011 (Body from PRE RAID 26th July 2011)

SAM_0352.jpg

SAM_0353.jpg

SAM_0354.jpg

SAM_0359.jpg

SAM_0360.jpg

Very nice top and happy NGD! I am curious as to why you decided on the 08 instead of the 2012?

Very nice top and happy NGD! I am curious as to why you decided on the 08 instead of the 2012?

Simple enough reasons, Save £700, Get a 50's Neck, a proper rosewood board (nothing agains't the layered ones just a preference) & get a more natural map cap. I just throught the flame on the 2012 was overkill...

Well to give some sort of Update:

The Pickguard is on (I'll Put a pic up tonight) So its currently at "Stage 2"

For the Final Stage (The internal guts)

I have ordered a Curved Chrome Jack Plate & a Gibson Les Paul Harness (CTS Pots, Caps, 50's wiring & switchcraft) from a 50's Tribute.

Once these 2 things arrive it will go back into the shop and be also fitted with Bumble Bee's.

Then it will be done...

They are nice guitars. You should use them to be You, not onea them mooks. They already did them, nobodys done You yet.

Play them long time in good health!

rct

Beauty [thumbup]

Nice job changing the white trim to black, I'm with you, that looks so much better. Plan to do that to mine as well once I get around to it. Afraid to do it myself (need p/u covers to go on too) and I'm having trouble finding a tech to do it aside from GC.

but enough about me.... beautiful guitars. [drool]

Did those pickups come installed like that? I noticed the neck pickup on one of them seems back to front?

The only thing I would say is that even though both of these guitars are beautiful, do you not find it a bit redundant having two almost the same? One of the things I look for when I get a new guitar is something different.. I try to not even get the same colour twice (as it seems to justify the decision to buy it more in my head I guess lol :))

I know we all look for different things when we feed our GAS. Was just wondering what your reasoning is (if any at all :P)

Did those pickups come installed like that? I noticed the neck pickup on one of them seems back to front?

The only thing I would say is that even though both of these guitars are beautiful, do you not find it a bit redundant having two almost the same? One of the things I look for when I get a new guitar is something different.. I try to not even get the same colour twice (as it seems to justify the decision to buy it more in my head I guess lol :))

I know we all look for different things when we feed our GAS. Was just wondering what your reasoning is (if any at all :P)

Those are Peter Green'd 57 Classics & no I rotated them myself after the pickup had been modified

The finish is more or less my "signature style" so I'm happy with having 2 the same, mind you finding a "GOOD" desert burst takes some effort as theirs a real mixed bag of tops out their...

P.S. All my Les Pauls are dark backs...

I may get another Heritage Cherry some day, but im in no rush...

After you installed the "Peter Green" out-of-phase neck pickup, does rotating the pickup with the adjustable screw poles facing the bridge make a difference vs. the normal orientation?

When Peter Green'd rotating the pickup keeps the sound exactly the same in the single pickup position because the magnet points cover the same string locations.

However in truth rotating the pickup makes very little difference to the sound and is more a cosmetic change than anything else.

Sweet new LP!! Got a question for you, i'm thinking about ordering a LP Standard Trad Plus or Trad Pro... Trad Plus comes in this same color. Is the back black or dark brown??

When Peter Green'd rotating the pickup keeps the sound exactly the same in the single pickup position because the magnet points cover the same string locations.

However in truth rotating the pickup makes very little difference to the sound and is more a cosmetic change than anything else.

Thanks, you're right about the PU still in the same location. I thought about dropping the neck pickup low and having the screw adjusted higher to get more of the fundamental frequencies closer to the bridge pickups (to have more trebble).

To be honest, I don't know why it looks strange to me to have the PU oriented like you have...LOL. I think after 45+ years of seeing HB's installed a certain way, it's catches the eye! ... BTW, the maple top you have is very nice!

Archived