Gibson Brands Forums

I need an amp that is clean for under 600$

Andrew Riggs

I have posted this topic alot but all I get is things about buying a used fender that's out of my price range. I want a clean amp that is good with pedals and preferably no more than 500. If the vox ac15 is so good its worth 100$ more I will get it. I dont like the fender blues junior. I have a epiphone les paul and I want clean maybe some jazz, blues , light rock sound. Is the marshall class 5 good for me? If not can the distortion be fixed with a wah pedal and chorus pedal?

I don't think you can really go wrong with an AC15. It has a classic clean sound; very warm and chimey. If you're looking for something pristinely clean get a used Roland JC-120 on craigslist. A Marshall is probably the complete opposite of what you're looking for.

I have posted this topic alot but all I get is things about buying a used fender that's out of my price range. I want a clean amp that is good with pedals and preferably no more than 500. If the vox ac15 is so good its worth 100$ more I will get it. I dont like the fender blues junior. I have a epiphone les paul and I want clean maybe some jazz, blues , light rock sound. Is the marshall class 5 good for me? If not can the distortion be fixed with a wah pedal and chorus pedal?

You got a lot more answers than just "a used Fender Fender that's out of my price range".

It's up to 2 pages now and you haven't reponded to any of the answers. You might try participating in the thread you have already made with those that have already responded. This is the same thread in the same forum with a different price stated.

Interacting with those that have made efforts to type responses will get you a lot further to the advice you seek, as opposed to asking the same forum the same question stating you don't like the answers you were given.

why dont you like the blues junior ? just interested in your opinion.

You're just going to have to try a bunch of amps. If you don't like the advice you found in your last thread what makes you think anyone is going to give you better advice in this thread?

And man, you can find used Fender Amps for less than $600 all day long. You can find incredible amps from Carvin and Peavey, you can get a Roland JC-90 for ridiculously cheap. Not sure what kind of advice your looking for, do you want someone to send you a link to a deal on craigslist that reads "Absolutely the best Clean Amplifier for less that $600 for sale right here"?

And if you like the Marshall Class 5, why are you looking any further? [confused]

If you're really looking for a totally clean sounding amp that takes pedals well you should skip the tube amps all together and go with solid state. I've looked at 4 Roland JC120s in the last 2 weeks. All of them were under $600. One of them was $300. I have a Marshall Class 5 and while I love the amp it's not what I would call clean at all.

I have a suggestion. First of all, don't buy the Marshall Class 5. I have one and you don't want it. If you like the Vox AC15, that'll work. But you might try looking at solid state amps that sell in the 400 to 500 dollar range.

FENDER

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/fender-mustang-iii-100w-1x12-guitar-combo-amp

PEAVEY with not quite as many features

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/peavey-bandit-112-guitar-amplifier-with-transtube-technology

ROLAND

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/roland-cube-80xl-80w-1x12-guitar-combo-amp

For players on a budget, I can't say enough good things about the Peavey Classic series. You can get a new Classic 30 for around $600, and a used one for probably half that. I have an old Classic 50 with a 4X10 cab, and I really love it. Good luck.

You need to go to a store, find a guitar most similar to one you use at home, and plug it into every amp in your price range (and even some more expensive ones, if you find an expensive amp you like, you can then find a similar sounding cheaper amp). "best" is a subjective term. Players use different gear because we use what we think sounds good. You gotta go with your ear most of the time. And research to see if any pros use it, cause if any pro uses it you know its at least halfway decent.

Long story short. Plug in and play

I tried my Epi Les Paul through a Blues Jr. when I was looking for an LP and it was because it created such lush jazz tones that I bought it.When I put my Epi LP Trad Pro through the Blues Jr. it absolutely nailed the tone that Robert Fripp got on Epitaph and I Talk To The Wind on the first King Crimson album.The Blues Jr. has a very sensitive and responsive eq circuit and the slightest adjustment of either the treble,mid or bass control as well as the master and gain can make a significant difference on the tone,so I wouldn't completely give up on the Blues Jr.

Having said all that the AC 15 is an incredible amp and can play very very clean yet you can dial in some real good grunge if need be.The Vox ValveTronix amps are also great amps and even though they are hybrid,their 12AX7 tube is in the power amp as opposed to the preamp on other hybrids consequently allowing for a much more authentic tube amp sound in fact you'd have to have quite an ear to be able to tell the difference between the hybrid and a tube amp.On top of all this they have about 22 very realistic amp models that are in most cases dead ringers for the real thing and the effects on board are absolutely without equal-especially when you get the optional foot controller.The Valvetronix series vary in power from 10 to 120 W and come as 1 or 2-12 combos as well as heads and cabinets.The Marshall Valvestates are also worth a look.

You need to go to a store, find a guitar most similar to one you use at home, and plug it into every amp in your price range (and even some more expensive ones, if you find an expensive amp you like, you can then find a similar sounding cheaper amp). "best" is a subjective term. Players use different gear because we use what we think sounds good. You gotta go with your ear most of the time. And research to see if any pros use it, cause if any pro uses it you know its at least halfway decent.

Long story short. Plug in and play

This. Exactly. I can tell you I A/B'ed an AC 15 and a Blues Jr. and liked the Fender better... and that means nothing, because you've never heard me play and have no idea what my "sound" is. You'll also find a number of folks on here who did the same thing and chose the Vox.

Just take some time and go play them. Next to your fingers, it is likely to be the most important aspect of your sound.

Enjoy the hunt!

I have played a lot of Fender amps over the years (64 Pro, 65 Twin, 68 Twin, 65 Super RI, Hot Rod Deluxe, Deluxe, etc) and I really like the Fender sound, but after messing about with the AC15 I like it too. But I agree with Chadman, the best thing to do is to plug in and test the amps at the shop. Also, don't just use equipment available at the shop to test the amp. If you have a pedal board and a guitar in particular that you use then take it with you and test amps that way. If you are going to spend hundreds of dollars on an amp it would be best to test it with your gear because you may get it home and hate it.

Once I took my guitar and amp to test a pedal just to see how it sounded and reacted with my set up. They are usually pretty cool about people doing that which is nice.

Laugh if you may, but I can prove it on-stage. The $300 Fender 212 solid state combo is a killer amp and a great deal. Nice cleans w/ a decent on-board 2-channel gain and included footswitch. Best amp value on the market, plus a 5 year warranty.

Those Fender solid state amps should do the job.

I don't quite understand an insistence on tubes when an individual's purpose is clean, but with an option of adding pedals.

When SS came out, a lot of folks were quite happy that there was a clean increase in volume up to the point the speaker gave out. They weren't really less expensive at the time so that "cheaper" wasn't really part of the option as it is now.

Tube amps are great if one knows how to play an individual model/example, but so are SS, assuming equivalent build quality.

And again, the electric guitar is at minimum a two-piece instrument, the guitar itself and the amp. They need to be worked together. Add pedals and other variables may change.

Frankly I think some of us almost make a religion out of what they hear in front of the amp. I really don't understand that when just changes in technique can make huge differences in "tone" regardless of the amp.

m

Archived