Gibson Brands Forums

Hotel California

daveinspain

Playing it note-for-note would be an exorcise in memory for sure. I don't think they even play it all perfect at concerts...but why would you?

There are parts that have two guitar players playing a figure that would have to be remembered...if you wanted to play it live like they do with another guitar player.

I think if you were learning it note-for-note just because would gain much if you were just trying to get through it...kinda redundant. But if one was to learn it and study it instead of just learning the notes, it has a LOT of licks in it by more than one player that can give a lot of insight.

I think for songs that a guy really likes that they have pretty much committed to memory, learning solos you are familiar with is a good way to go because it is more fun to learn, and it is good to learn stuff you like. I mean, if you like it, why not play it?

it was one of the first guitar solos I ever learned...it did take me a few weeks to get it though...

there are kinda 2 lead parts in the song [flapper] I only learned the lead part that Don/Steuart play

...perhaps I should take on Joe's part now? :-k

I learned it at some point in time when I was at my peak as a player. The phrasing and the slide part of the solo that Joe Walsh laid down is tough to do when using a pinky slide, while playing the other parts of the solo that don't require a slide.

I couple of guys I used to jam with (one I actually played a few gigs with)could do the whole solo note for note with every little bend nuance etc. and one of the guys was mainly a drummer.They did a top notch job of it.

I LOVE JETHRO TULL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sJA_VF5c7U

The Eagles stole that ****, so **** them.

I love Tull too and although you can hear similarities in the Tull song and the Eagles song I don't think you can say they stole the song. It's more like the capitalized on a good chord structure... I mean if that were the case you would have to say Tull stole it from Bach...

Like AXE, I've never tried to play it. I've tinkered around with the rhythm but never really learned it either.

I don't know why I've never learned that song because I love that song. There are few great songs that I love but never learned how to play.

I'm not a hard-core lead ripper but it's not a difficult song really. So no, I don't know the lead but I know the riff's and chord structure's. And I do enjoy the Eagle's music, hey... They got a singing drummer! that put's them in the better band's section.

The Eagles and Jethro Tull were both going for that Flamenco flavor, hence the Spanish style Root/Third lead figures and circle of fifths based chord run. Probably find Robbie Krieger doing it a few years before Tull.

As for how hard it is to play....it's very hard. It's hard to play the guitar, let alone replicate dueling lead parts on one guitar. If you can play it that simply means you can do something that's difficult, it doesn't make it easy.

Even after you've internalized it to the point of making it look easy, still aint easy.

Even if it only takes you ten minutes to get the parts note perfect, that only means you can do something hard without a lot of practice and you should be proud of yourself.

If you can play Metropolis by Dream Theater in it's entirety without missing a note, it doesn't make playing Hotel California any easier. That just means you've mastered the art of doing very difficult things.

So no, it ain't easy.

Archived