Gibson Brands Forums

What else do you play

ParlourMan

May have been done before, but aside our lovely Gibson's what else do you play?

For me, I play a bit of piano and I can just about stumble through with a Harmonica. My latest flavour of the minute is to get hold of a Cello. I figure there could be a fairly broad spectrum covered among us here so thought I'd ask.

All the best.

I've toyed with the tenor (4-string) banjo for years. Finally realizing that "you can't teach and old dog new tricks", I've switched from standard CGDA tuning to "Chicago" tuning (DGBE). In other words, it's the same as playing a guitar, minus the #5 and #6 strings. It's great fun.

MJ

Quite a bit -- bluegrass banjo, clawhammer banjo, harmonica, bass. Less often, but some -- tenor banjo, tenor guitar, Dobro, autoharp, mandolin, mandocello, bagllama. At some point, I seemed to have come to believe that it is better to play a lot of stuff barely adequately than one well. I guess I just like the noises they make.

Best,

-Tom

I started playing piano back December of 2004. Lovely instrument!

and yea, does Golf count? cuz I have a bag, a set of clubs, shoes, and I do get out on the links, (not what I can actually be considered "playing" golf but I do love getting out there)

What instruments I can actually play and jam with others are: All guitars acoustic and electric (12 string too), piano, bass, harmonica, conga - bongo set (chimes don't count), just about anything percussive stringed or drum and stick (think gourds with ridges). Also play decent slide. I sing too, at least in key.

preferences : lead guitar electric and acoustic. flat / finger picking electric or acoustic.

I majored in Music , guitar was my instrument but we had to pick an instrument to minor in. I chose piano by default cause it is relevant to everything. I stopped playing piano as soon as I graduated as I was AWFUL , AWFUL. Never could get the hang of it. Now I play bass guitar as a second instrument, it's fairly easy to slip into, especially I IV V oriented stuff and there's always someone in need of a bass player. When I am playing with a group and the guitar player is better than I am(which is often the case), I don't mind playing bass at all , in fact I really enjoy it. [biggrin]

Well, I fancy myself on piano, but nobody agrees. I also fancied harmonica, but again, nobody else agreed.

So I have come to the decision that my second instrument will be: bagpipes!

I just looked on eBay for bagpipes for sale and they seem to range from $50 to $50,000, but the cheapo will probably be ok till I get me wind:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GEOFFREY-HIGHLAND-ROSE-WOOD-BAGPIPE-BLACK-COLOUR-BPR11-/280537286603?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41515347cb

BluesKing777.

I slap some bass, as it was my first stringed instrument but i am way more fond of the good ol 6 string. I blow a lot of harp as well. I can fanagle my way around a set of 88s, and play drums very poorly. Ive thought about re-learning trombone, or learning violin or the easier version aka mandolin

I'm mainly a guitar play but can twang the banjo fairly well too. I only play by ear so I can get a tune on just about anything accept for wind instruments. But I occasionally play the mandolins, harmonica, piano, and fiddle.

Archived