Gibson Brands Forums

J200 4 Ribbon compared to 2 Ribbon Bridge

merseybeat1963

Hi.

Has anyone had a chance to have a good comparison of the 4 Ribbon Bridge compared to the 2 Ribbon Version.. for its effect on Flexibility of strings & character of sound that the shallower angle may result in ? If in practice at all noticeable?

NICK ,

most of the folks here support the 2 ribbons because it helps the angle

JC

As JC says. The topic has come three of four times in the last few years. Some have suggested the 4 ribbon models should have their neck angle set steeper to allow a taller bridge and therefore a better break angle over the saddle. When I bought a 200 I choose a 2 ribbon model for this reason. Still, I've played four ribbon 200s with fairly obtuse break angles that sounded just fine to me.

most of the folks here support the 2 ribbons because it helps the angle

I guess I'm an exception. Every one of the best SJ-200s I've played has had a four-ribbon bridge. In theory, the two-ribbon works better. But I select instruments based on what my ears (and eyes and hands) tell me, not on theory.

If I were concerned about the neck angle (or the break angle of the strings over the bridge, or any other aspect of the geometry) on an SJ-200, I would check the neck angle (or break angle, or other aspect of the geometry) rather than counting the number of ribbons on the bridge.

-- Bob R

I guess I'm an exception. Every one of the best SJ-200s I've played has had a four-ribbon bridge. In theory, the two-ribbon works better. But I select instruments based on what my ears (and eyes and hands) tell me, not on theory.

If I were concerned about the neck angle (or the break angle of the strings over the bridge, or any other aspect of the geometry) on an SJ-200, I would check the neck angle (or break angle, or other aspect of the geometry) rather than counting the number of ribbons on the bridge.

-- Bob R

Bob you aren't alone I know of others who can support the claim =D

JC

The reason I think of this is the J200 I have has a 2 Ribbon and the steeper String break..my action is as low as can be , and though the saddle is nearly as low as it can go , it really is well in line with the neck comparitively.

In other words if the Bridge was yet lower where saddle could come down further ,strings would pretty much be laying on fret board.

The less steep angle of a 4 Ribbon (in theory) would equal a more flexible string and wonder if it does so in practice..& what is effect on sound.

I have the tailpiece on my Les Paul Guitars high..I like that rubbery feel & if its going to be tuned up to 440 ..a straight neck,low action,extra light strings & high tail piece has done it for me.

Traditional bling.

Who'd want that old thing. 99% of the paint is off the pickguard. :)

-- Bob R

P.S. Come to think of it, it's been at Elderly for years now. Maybe there really is no one who wants it!

Every j200 model besides the standard and studio have 4 ribbon bridges. There has to be a reason Gibson puts a 4 ribbon bridge on all the custom models??

Usually the 4 Ribbon is reproducing the original design & most custom guitars are reproducing old classics or are aiming for the more fancy look. The 2 ribbon was developed to give more string angle probably..I wonder which Ren prefers?

Traditional bling.

Here's one with individual saddles - only $125K

20U-12195_body-front.jpg

If not for Henry & Ren Ferguson who revived the Gibson acoustic guitar..that guitar would probably be selling for even more..!

Chris Martin himself decided to shell out the $286K required to get one of the 91 Pre War..ish..D45's recently.

If they are no good why would they put the better one on the standard models? I'm curious. I have both and I can't tell a difference?

The one on mine is a 2 ribbon but I wondered ..if the theory that less string angle of 4 ribbon resulted in a more rubbery feel at some sacrifice in sound..then Id prefer the 4 ribbon if it will allow saddle low enough.

I think Ren Ferguson may have felt that the 2 was better as the steeper string break allowed for possibility of lower action & better sound cause this is the version he decided to produce originally in the first few years till reissues.

Would be nice to ask him if he was a neighbor : )

You have both and feel nor hear a difference between them? Maybe in practice its not a noticable amount.

Thanks

The one on mine is a 2 ribbon but I wondered ..if the theory that less string angle of 4 ribbon resulted in a more rubbery feel at some sacrifice in sound..then Id prefer the 4 ribbon if it will allow saddle low enough.

I think Ren Ferguson may have felt that the 2 was better as the steeper string break allowed for possibility of lower action & better sound cause this is the version he decided to produce originally in the first few years till reissues.

Would be nice to ask him if he was a neighbor : )

You have both and feel nor hear a difference between them? Maybe in practice its not a noticable amount.

Thanks

Nick ,

do you have any 5 star dealers in the area ??? If I don't have a bad memory you are in NYC ?

JC

• 1 year later...

Sorry to revive an old thread, but thought some might find it interesting. This picture is of a 4 ribbon SJ-200 bridge, Standard 2002. This is the SJ-200 that was Mr. Ferguson's. Story goes that he chose it right off the line - not because it was the best looking, but simply because it was the best. Dialed in by the master himself - and it plays like it - the tone is top-notch. Anyway, 4-ribbons, woulda thunk?

j200292_zpsdc219ccc.jpg

Very nice koa, OWF!

I've had my standard J-200 for two years now (built February of '11) and it's a four ribbon version. I remember how helpful everyone was when I posted my NGD and asked about it. I chalk it up to one of the many charms of Gibson :rolleyes:

• 3 years later...

I have been obsessing about this topic as some of you know. On Monday I sent back my SJ-200 and on Tuesday had a Western Classic. I am trying to compare the sound and feel from memory. Someone described the strings as "Rubbery", I know what you mean. My HD-28 with a very steep angle is nothing at all like rubbery, it is actually like railroad tracks. But my new Western Classic seems to be. I guess I may keep this beauty and continue more research and listen as the top opens up. I am definitely going to be looking for a Rosewood 2 Ribbon model in the future. It must improve the sound.

Not trying to be funny, but what is a 2-4 ribbon bridge, and does it matter, or is it simply another of the gazillion variations of Gibson's iconic models?

Try to google J-200 and press pictures. Then you'll see the famous moustache-bridges with both 2 and 4 mop ribbons - some only behind the pins and some in front before the saddle too.

The saying is that the 2 provide a steeper break-angle thus more sound. I don't know. Not one of the break-angle nerds - have flat-angled guitars that speak LOUD.

Something occurred to me, maybe the 4 ribbon guitars being historic have a different lighter scalloped bracing. The less break angle will have less forward twisting effect on the bridge. My HD-28 with a very steep angle had to have the bridge pulled up and shaved at an angle because it was twisting forward and lifting off at the back. I have noticed with the Western Classic and its 4 ribbon bridge that it has much more visual deflections around and in front of the bridge. The SJ-200 I returned with the 2 ribbon bridge seemed to have none. Maybe it is a tradeoff of break angle and lighter more flexible bracing.

Archived