Gibson Brands Forums

There's More Than One Way To String An Axe

CoreyT

Interesting, do many here do the tow wrapping method?

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/methods-for-stringing-a-guitar-0709-2012.aspx?utm_source=iContact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Gibson%20Guitar%20Corp.&utm_content=Editorial+eBlast+-+July+10%2C+2012

Regular way:

string_regular-tailpiece.jpg

Toe Wrapping Way:

string_top-wrap.jpg

I had posted in another thread in the SG section that I remember changing my strings on my '73 Les Paul Deluxe back then, and I hated how the tailpiece would fall off since it was not screwed down all the way.

With this tow wrapping method, you can screw the tailpiece all the way down.

... With this tow wrapping method, you can screw the tailpiece all the way down.

There's been plenty of posts on top wrapping, so I won't go into that.

Regarding the adjustable stopbar: the particular height is sometimes a personal preference. Whether you top wrap or not, the usual advice is to lower the stopbar so that the strings just clear the back edge of the bridge.

Almost touching -

imgp3415.jpg

Could be lower -

Hero-Hardware2.jpg

I gotta try it too then after my strings die and I put the Autotrim tuners on.

One caveat, I noticed when I top-wrapped my SG Standard, after about a year, the strings started to dig into the stop bar a little, and caused 6 little burs in the chrome. Not a huge deal, but it was enough to make me go back to stringing it the regular way.

I didn't notice any difference in sustain. String bends were easier though.

There's been plenty of posts on top wrapping, so I won't go into that.

Regarding the adjustable stopbar: the particular height is sometimes a personal preference. Whether you top wrap or not, the usual advice is to lower the stopbar so that the strings just clear the back edge of the bridge.

I couldn't figure out why my Moderne kept breaking strings. I usually change mine out well before they get that worn and it's pretty much a new guitar. I haven't broken a string in years and yet I blew two on that axe in a pretty short amount of playing time. Turns out, I gave the setup a quick eyeball when I got it, but never really bothered to do a detailed check on it since it felt and sounded alright and the intonation was alright. Sure enough, the strings were hitting the back of the bridge. Wasn't real obvious and I know better (so I kind kicked myself mentally once I realized it wasn't barely clearing like it initially appeared; I couldn't get a single sheet of tissue paper underneath the strings). It's been taken care of since then. I guess I was more worried about the nut and when that turned out ok, I spaced out on the rest. Durr.

I don't like wrapping the strings around the bar because it scratches the chrome on it after awhile.

I go straight through the tailpeice on my guitars

Don't use chromed tailpieces.

Aluminium. Al-U-MIN-I-UM.

Archived