Gibson Brands Forums

Things to look for in a great guitar

littlekenny

I'm not real big on playing an electric unplugged.

I go for feel first, then tone. I'm sure many giggers will agree with me, it's weird, but guitars that should be identical actually feel different. As a bar musician I'm going to be spending many long hours holding them, and I tend to play the same guitar for many years. (I played a '72 Les Paul Recording for 14 years)

Tone is very important, but very adjustable. I'm not gonna hear my Blue Angel in a music store unless I pack it down there, and I'm not that anal. I can play a Tele with single coils, or my ES-339, or my SG, or my daughters new Studio, and in a few minutes, am gonna sound pretty much like me. I'll adjust.

I want quiet pots/switches.

I don't sweat minor marks from people "touching" them. In a few months it's gonna have scuffs that are beyond my control.

Obvious, intonation, fretwork, rattles, buzz's, ect.

Best to ya.

Murph.

1)Of course the way it feels to you.

2)Thorough visual inspection. Neck,Bridge,frets,inlays,tuners ect...(Open the control cavities)

3)Bend the hell out of every string.

4)Tune properly

5)Play every note on every fret.

6)Noodle around for a while.

7)Wink at hot chick.(if one is available)

8)Plug in and play,checking the roll off of all the controls, and pickup selector switch.

9)Warranty and return policy.

10) If they give you any crap, you give them my #...

Because I care.

With love from my burning loins AXE®

1)Of course the way it feels to you.

2)Thorough visual inspection. Neck' date='Bridge,frets,inlays,tuners ect...(Open the control cavities)

3)Bend the[i'] hell [/i]out of every string.

4)Tune properly

5)Play every note on every fret.

6)Noodle around for a while.

7)Wink at hot chick.(if one is available)

8)Plug in and play,checking the roll off of all the controls, and pickup selector switch.

9)Warranty and return policy.

10) If they give you any crap, you give them my #...

+1, well, except that I always wink at the same woman, my wife. Hi honey (just in case she's reading this!). I always make sure that I play a guitar on the amp that I own (Line 6 Vetta II). I very rarely get asked if I would like to do this. Our GC doesn't have one around these days unfortunately...

Playing it unplugged is a must. I was on the verge of buying a '54 reissue Custom that sounded great plugged in! Unplugged, it had a rattle all the way up the neck that wouldn't go away. The only time it was fine was when the action was super high. I would have been pissed if I had bought that guitar and then realized it buzzed like crazy.

I look for vibrations on the headstock and a few parts around the body. I don't measure them with a stop watch or anything like that. I just look for a good vibrating piece of wood. I also put my ear up to the body and see if I like the way the guitar sounds.

Another thing I find...and I'm not sure if I'm the only one here...but I just know. The first time I held my R9, R6 & SG RI, I just knew they were great. Before I even played a note. Am I the only one?

Am I the only one?

In your own little world----yes....

Another little trick*

Rest your cheekbone against the top horn of the guitar and hit an open G with the b depressed.

If it makes your eye water------it's a keepah...

Things I look for in a possible guitar purchase.

1. Do your research - If you know what kind of sound you want you can narrow down your search alot before even picking up a guitar (ex. you prob wouldn't want to consider a Les Paul Classic if you wanted a guitar with sparkly cleans and creamy smooth overdrive)

2. How much does it cost? - If it's outside the budget it's off the list.

3. What does it look like? - No, you're not just marrying her for her personality.

4. How difficult will it be to get one? Pertaining to limited models sometimes ya just gotta get what you get if that's the guitar you really want.

After those questions are met the rest I don't worry about so much. It's not really the quest for the holy grail. Grab a guitar you're interested in. Play it as you would normally. If you like it ... Buy it. If not, rinse and repeat. That's it.

It's got to be comfortable to hold, either standing or sitting.

It's got to have reasonably good balance.

It's got to be easily tuned, and hold the tuning through moderate playing.

Looks are subjective, so that's up to you really, but I prefer the classic body styles and finishes.

It's got to reasonably priced.

Quality materials are a must. It's gotta be tough enough to last through several generations of players. Your kids and grand children will cherish your old guitars. That old watch will get stuck in a drawer, and that old car will get wrecked.

The old "unplugged" test is a must, to find out what the guitar itself sounds like.

Must have, or have the ability to be converted to have, intonation adjustment, and easily adjusted truss rod.

Electronic are not my major concern. I can change what I don't like, to either get the tone I want, or upgrade to better pots/switches. I realize that is not the case with everyone though. Some folks are afraid to mess with that stuff, or have yet to learn how easy it is.

First thing I look for is the quality of the neck; smoothness of the frets (nothing catching as I slide up and down), tendency to roll off the edge on the high and low E strings, condition of the binding. Next is balance, my R7 body is so heavy, I am constantly readjusting my strap, Traditional does not have that issue. Play it unplugged, running through open chords listening for buzz, then I will play it plugged in on a clean setting and check for the same thing. By now I have determined if it is set-up to my liking, then I'll get dirty. Sustain, sustain, sustain!!! If all of that is a go, then I will inspect the finish and fit. And if thats good we start talking $$$. Then the next thing I know, I'm loading her up in the trunk trying to think of what I'm going to say to the missus when I bring home a new lady.

Hope this helps.

Like Tim (R9) said,

Playing it unplugged is a Must...If it doesnt sing unplugged then it wont sing plugged in...

I spend more time playing unplugged......

I always like to look down the neck to check if its straight...

Flight959

AXE® nailed it to a 'T'.....

.....though the cheekbone thing is probably too AXE®-personal for general use ](*,)

That checklist is a must-have in the brain of any guitar player looking to buy.

(for pity's sake DON'T get a checklist on paper out and start tickin' it !)

I just look for the way the guitar vibrates and how much it vibrates. I like guitars that feel very alive when I play them and that means I have to feel the body shaking against my gut and the neck vibrating in my hand (no innuendo intended). It takes just a couple of seconds to test how the guitar responds and, if it does it the way I like it, I'm 99% of the way there so at that point I'll I plug it in. If the guitar doesn't respond well, I see no point in plugging it in no matter how good it might sound through an amp; if it doesn't feel good, I won't be happy with it. After all that, I look at myself in a mirror while playing it standing up to make sure I look good (I keed! I keed!).

Things I look for in a guitar... well, most of the things that have been mentioned... but I also look for some type of "vintage" or "classic" aspect as well as "soul." I won't buy a guitar anymore if it's rolled of a factory line in China. (unless I want to smash it, that is...) Nor will I buy anything other than Gibson or Fender.

That's about it...

Archived