Gibson Brands Forums

Rush....

kaleb

Rush is playing a show in Seattle on November, 13th, and I was considering going. But I just can't justify, no matter how much I love the band. But then it got me thinkin'.....

I wish these bigger bands would come to Montana and play some smaller venues. I mean, The Stones packed Griz Stadium (a college football stadium!) in Missoula in 2006! So why not Rush! Why can't they play a good-size theatre once n' a while? There's no such thing as too big for a small gig IMHO. Rush can tone down their props for once. I couldn't care less about their props onstage. Do they really need the big screen for the intros, intermission, and closing films? Geez. For such a "humble" band, I'm very surprised. You'd think they'd wanna get real for a show or two.

This goes for all big bands, not just Rush.

Well Neil did just turn 60 and Geddy said that touring is getting to be exhausting. I hope this isn't their last tour. The last three times they came here they played at an outdoor theater setting with regular and lawn seating. So it was smaller and you had a great view no matter where you sat. This year they are playing at the hockey arena. I got floor seats for the family (three of us) and, yes, they were expensive.

Well Neil did just turn 60 and Geddy said that touring is getting to be exhausting. I hope this isn't their last tour. The last three times they came here they played at an outdoor theater setting with regular and lawn seating. So it was smaller and you had a great view no matter where you sat. This year they are playing at the hockey arena. I got floor seats for the family (three of us) and, yes, they were expensive.

Well, they do 3-hour shows...I think they should do one set, and start having opening acts again.

Rush may be an awesome band, but they gotta remember they're just a band in the end of the day. They don't need the props. They didn't need them back then.

I like the introduction videos though!

Dude,, I'm pretty impressed at how big a Rush fan you are. Maybe living in Montana being close to Canada helped?

There's not that many hard core Rush fans in the US that I know about. And is also why it isn't until very recent that they are being nominated, for the first time, into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in the US.

Sure they were inducted to the Canadian Music Hall of Fame in 94. But that was easy. I will be thrilled if they ever make into the real one B)

Growing up I was hard core into Rush. I went through 3 phases in my youth(13 to 21) where I listened to nothing but them. And I caught them every single time they rolled through town. Not far from you. In fact, only a few hours north of you if you are in Montana. Granted, you were probably too young then and they haven't been through here in a couple decades. I was lucky enough to catch these tours.

Caress of Steel

All the Worlds a Stage

A Farewell To Kings

Hemispheres

And I am damn sure I saw 2112 here but for some reason there is no record of them coming here on the net????

wtf? :-k

Anyway,, just think it's cool you love Rush so much. What's not to like.

Anytime there are only 3 guys pulling off that much sound you know there is something special going on.

http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainment/Rush+finally+gets+nomination+rock+hall+fame/7348791/story.html

Dude,, I'm pretty impressed at how big a Rush fan you are. Maybe living in Montana being close to Canada helped?

There's not that many hard core Rush fans in the US that I know about.

Sorry, but I beg to differ. I've been to 49 states and there are plenty of Rush fans everywhere I've gone. Here's another indicator. I recently saw this commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8V7MXd7UkM

I used to trek up into London, Ontario to a local velodrome, and the first time I was in there they were playing 2112 over the PA. I nearly crashed from the irony of the scenario.

I can't wait to discuss their induction with a buddy of mine who saw them like 100 times back in the day.

I dig the music, I just can't get into the vocals.

Once when my buddy and I were jamming out I was called at as "Geddy Flea"... I chucked.

I know where you're coming from Slavestate,Geddy Lee sounds like he had his family jewels hacked off and he was fed a steady diet of estrogen. If it wasn't for his high-pitched,nasal,whiney voice they'd have another fan here but his voice irks me so much that it takes away from every song that they do.I heard an interview with Geddy just a few days ago and his speaking voice isn't what you'd call high-pitched or feminine so why does he have to sing 3 octaves above a high soprano himself?

I know where you're coming from Slavestate,Geddy Lee sounds like he had his family jewels hacked off and he was fed a steady diet of estrogen. If it wasn't for his high-pitched,nasal,whiney voice they'd have another fan here but his voice irks me so much that it takes away from every song that they do.I heard an interview with Geddy just a few days ago and his speaking voice isn't what you'd call high-pitched or feminine so why does he have to sing 3 octaves above a high soprano himself?

His voice has softened a bit over the years, actually. But on all the old stuff, it's high...

You might like this: NO VOICE!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=593xyObzI8Y

I just bought the new MP3 album via Amazon.

Great stuff, and I have been reading about Alex in the newest issue of Guitar Player.

Guitar World is having another "best guitar player"-type contest, and guess who's been winning each round?

He was put up against Dimebag, then EVH, but GW's website wouldn't let me join the poll....

BTW, that's the old Memorial Auditorium in Buffalo on the cover of Exit Stage Left. My parents didn't let me go that concert because I wasn't old enough (although plenty of friends got to go). I started going to Rush concerts from the Signals tour. Haven't missed one yet since that time.

BTW, that's the old Memorial Auditorium in Buffalo on the cover of Exit Stage Left. My parents didn't let me go that concert because I wasn't old enough (although plenty of friends got to go). I started going to Rush concerts from the Signals tour. Haven't missed one yet since that time.

Wasn't Exit Stage Left recorded at the Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto?

IMO Rush has the best drummer on the planet bar none

That is a pretty strong statement.

Here are two videos, one of Neil and another from Vinnie Colaiuta. Neither of them are primarily jazz drummers as Neil is rock and progressive mostly. Vinnie is... well he does everything and has played with Zappa and Jeff Beck among a zillion others. You have probably heard more recordings with Vinnie on them than you know.

I put them both in the same genre with Buddy Rich'e big band so they can be on the same page. You can discount Vinnie's intro so we are comparing apples to apples.

Tell me what you think after listening to these two great drummers.

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/neilpeartcottontail.html

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/vinniecolaiutayagottatry89.html

That is a pretty strong statement.

Here are two videos, one of Neil and another from Vinnie Colaiuta. Neither of them are primarily jazz drummers as Neil is rock and progressive mostly. Vinnie is... well he does everything and has played with Zappa and Jeff Beck among a zillion others. You have probably heard more recordings with Vinnie on them than you know.

I put them both in the same genre with Buddy Rich'e big band so they can be on the same page. You can discount Vinnie's intro so we are comparing apples to apples.

Tell me what you think after listening to these two great drummers.

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/neilpeartcottontail.html

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/vinniecolaiutayagottatry89.html

For me, it's Mike Portnoy.

Wasn't Exit Stage Left recorded at the Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto?

Yes and no. Parts are from the UK. The photo on the album is from their Buffalo show. None of the actual recordings from that album were taken from the Buffalo show. Read this for more information.

Well, here's a total FANATIC here in Central Mass and I have been since Neil's debut on the second album (Fly by Night)

I probably listen to Rush's material 95% of the time when I'm driving, running, or what ever I'm doing where tunes can be playing. iPod has every single tune they've ever done, (well maybe not the live stuff) and I've gone to every show they've had in the Boston / Central Mass area.

I just LOVE these guys.

Really hoping to go when the come to the Boston Gardens in a few weeks, I may have to miss this one, as it' falls immediately before our vacation, so timing just may not pan out.

I think Rush is a hot ticket nowadays. The haters are converting.

As I said before, they're experiencing what happened to Zeppelin circa 1972, only 35 years too late. Back then, everyone loved Zep except for the critics. Their power was so huge that those critics realized that they were the only ones that didn't like them!

A very good friend of mine used to see Rush every time they came through the area. He'd call it "Going to Church".

It's kind of funny, the only people I've met that didn't like Rush were mediocre drummers, and they always say it's because of Geddy's voice. Of course good drummers seem to like them an awful lot.

Archived