Gibson Brands Forums

quick string preference question

feldkeen4

I put super slinky 9's on the semi hollow and found out I like it. Lighter strings might have been the reason I seemed to play my strat more.

My question is: If you were going to put 9's on a 24.75" scale semi hollow what brand or type strings would you choose. Slinky's might ,well, be to slinky. Or maybe slinky is just a very successful marketing scheme? Any suggestion would be appreciated.

50251_l.jpg

I put super slinky 9's on the semi hollow and found out I like it. Lighter strings might have been the reason I seemed to play my strat more.

My question is: If you were going to put 9's on a 24.75" scale semi hollow what brand or type strings would you choose. Slinky's might ,well, be to slinky. Or maybe slinky is just a very successful marketing scheme? Any suggestion would be appreciated.

I don't think you can ever get to the end of this...I can't...slinkies are fine, for me though stainless steel or 'half-round' strings (ugh) are not. I've currently got several sets of different gauges to choose from including power slinky, DR handmade blues, and E Ball cobalt because forum players say to try 'em. When I can't be bothered to try out new makes, I always go back to Ernies. I slightly prefer them to D'Addarios but there's not much in it. An interesting thing to try is to take a set of 9s or 10s and replace the high E with 0.11. Lots more power and volume and because you're not having to bend heavier B and G out of the way, bends are very do-able.

Preference is Elixir 9-42 on most guitars. Keep a pack of Ernies 9-42 in each electric guitar case in case of disaster. Ain't had the disaster in decades, but... I keep carrying the extras regardless and they're enough less expensive that it's no big deal.

More expensive on my favorite AE fingerpicking guitar are Zebra 9-42 designed for either acoustic or electric. I'd tend to prefer Elixir acoustic of that gauge, but they don't make 'em and I guess I'm too lazy to buy individuals to make into my own packets. I do plan to add that gauge zebras to all but one acoustic since I'm even pretty gentle even on the rare occasion I'm flatpicking.

Frankly dollar for dollar for most pickers, I don't see any reason not to be happy with Ernies on most electrics for general use. For a few cents more you can get the nickel stedda nickel plated, yada yada yada.... Whatever. <grin> Jazz players and some bluegrass/acoustic pickers may have far different inclinations, though.

I like the Elixirs 'cuz they last incredibly well the way I play, and they seem to mellow out nicely, which suits me well, but may be objectionable to others.

m

No insult intended but how can anyone play using slinkys especially 9's . I can't even feel them let alone see them.

When God was in Guitar Player, summer '76? '77? He said he used Ernie Ball Super Slinkies, 9-42. I've been using them ever since. Many, many, MANY of the best records you ever heard were made using 9-42s. The whole Heavy Strings = TONE didn't start until some time later, and it really is just balderdash. I don't even like Hendrix all that bunches, but man he could play some pretty light strings and sound huge.

I've been...uh, fired lets say, for lots of reasons, but never because my strings were the wrong gauge. Use what you like and make them sound good, thats all you have to do, and don't worry that everyone else is using something "better", it's only "better" for them.

rct

For whatever it's worth I am totally into the Ernie Ball Cobalt strings. They sound great (a bit louder) feel vey slinky and smooth, and seem to last forever with no change in tone. They still sound like new after more than 20 hours of playing time. Regular Slinkies would start to die on me after 5 to 10 hours. Actually I could tell a difference on them after a few hours.

Just my experience. I have used many different brands and compositions. Hex core, round core, nickle plated, pure nickle, stainless steel, and others I forget about. I can't say enough good things about the Cobalts.

I used to use '10's and '11's but mild neuropthy in my hands has caused me to use .09's. With a small adjustment in attack they have just as much balls as the heavier guages. The Cobalts greater magnetic properties more than make up for the mass of heavier strings.

When I first got my Guild S100c - something of Guild's version of an SG - I believe it either came with 8-38s or I immediately got some of the old Guild brand strings in that gauge.

I use 9-42 Elixirs on other electrics and have for ages because they mostly just feel good and work well with how I play the guitar.

The Guild and 8-38s, the way I play it anyway, can get to sounding almost as woody as a semi and as has been noted, nobody questions the string gauge that's plenty thick for tone.

m

When God was in Guitar Player, summer '76? '77? He said he used Ernie Ball Super Slinkies, 9-42. I've been using them ever since. Many, many, MANY of the best records you ever heard were made using 9-42s. The whole Heavy Strings = TONE didn't start until some time later, and it really is just balderdash. I don't even like Hendrix all that bunches, but man he could play some pretty light strings and sound huge.

I've been...uh, fired lets say, for lots of reasons, but never because my strings were the wrong gauge. Use what you like and make them sound good, thats all you have to do, and don't worry that everyone else is using something "better", it's only "better" for them.

rct

I got used to things . When I statred playing in 63 they didn't have slinkys they had light , med and heavy and sets did not come with a plain G you had to use another B . The cheap strings were Black Diamond . I tried 10's and then 9's yet I found that even pressing abit to hard by the fret raised the pitch and I could never get used to them. I don't know or care what other players use yet I doubt Hendrix was using slinkys they were not around then not that I ever saw. I just use what works for me and what I set up my strats to use. Most acoustics come stock with 12 -54 . there must be a reason .

D'Addario strings are my preference.

Unless it's for my bass, then I prefer Elixirs.

OH and Martin strings on my acoustics.

So...

I only use D'Addario unless I'm using either Elixirs or Martins.

That is all. Thank you.

Archived