Gibson Brands Forums

New/used J45 question

RichG

I am in the market for a recent J45TV. The question is, how much do they vary one to the next? I think it does not make sense to buy a guitar if you can't play it first, but I may be wrong with respect to the J45 TV. I have played one that belonged to a friend. When I bought my new HD28 years ago, I played several and picked the one I liked best, but in those days you could do that in one sitting at a big dealer.So what do you think? Safe to buy one without hearing it, or should I just be patient and wait for one to turn up within reasonable driving distance?

Thanks

Rich

I am in the market for a recent J45TV. The question is, how much do they vary one to the next? I think it does not make sense to buy a guitar if you can't play it first, but I may be wrong with respect to the J45 TV. I have played one that belonged to a friend. When I bought my new HD28 years ago, I played several and picked the one I liked best, but in those days you could do that in one sitting at a big dealer.So what do you think? Safe to buy one without hearing it, or should I just be patient and wait for one to turn up within reasonable driving distance?

Thanks

Rich

Personally I would never buy an expensive guitar without the option of returning it if I didn't get on with it.

Personally haven't heard any bad reports of a J45 TV here......

but you never know till you try.. if you can return..go for it.

Oh except a dude that went crazy because his was a 2 piece bridge and fret board..bear that in mind if it will bother you..

( hope this doesn't cause a commotion...afgain [crying] )

There are almost always subtle differences between nominally-identical guitars. A-B testing is an ideal solution, but it is really only valid if the guitars have the same strings of the same age, and you test them side-by-side in the same session. Our aural reference memory is notoriously poor.

You know the general character of a guitar--a J-45 TV, for example--by its reputation and construction. But guitars are individuals, and you cannot assume that all TV's will sound exactly the same. Even genetically-identical twins have differences.

I've bought a number of guitars "blind", and have been really lucky, as none have been duds. I would expect to see more consistency in new Gibsons than vintage ones, but your chances of finding a stand-out guitar are probably greater with vintage Gibsons, but there is a concomitant risk that you will find a dud in a vintage guitar.

Any guitar, however, is a gamble to buy untested, and you just have to accept that risk if you don't have access to a number of guitars to compare.

Thanks

Rich

I have a 2007 Sitka J45 TV. I bought it used without playing it first. I love it more than any guitar I have owned in my forty something years alive. I have played quite a few others - mostly the newer ones with the red spruce top. All have been stellar.

The J45TVs I have played have tended to be pretty consistently.good guitars, much more consistent in tone than Standards. That said, I have played a couple of poor ones. If I were in the market for a TV, I would try several in the stores, but I live in a big city with several guitar stores. If this was not an option, I would feel comfortable ordering a TV sight unseen as long as the dealer had a good return policy. Chances are high you will be satisfied the first time.

Thanks for the comments. I guess there is no free lunch, as they say. I wil probably wait until the right set of circumstances comes along. When I bought my Guild D40 in 1966 I didn't know any better and it was the only one I played. Over the years I have seen others and mine is just dead. Never was as loud as any other I've heard. Perfect intonation, looks great but....

Im encouraged to hear that most of the J45 TV guitars sound good. I have a friend who won a Martin D28 in a raffle at a Bluegrass festival and the thing is just a non starter. I wonder if the factory knew it wasn't a good one and donated it. Maybe not, though. On second thought that wouldn't be the best marketing idea.

Eventually I'll replace my HD28 with a J45TV, but no rush.

Thanks again for the input.

Rich

I have a range of guitars that I have bought sight unseen now - mainly because of no access to a large range close to me. What I know about guitars (not a lot technically) is from playing and what I read on the forums - thanks to the experienced members!

I have been really lucky and have some real lower range gems, but if I was putting down over say $5k or more, I would be looking at playing it first. I have used up my luck! But after reading as much information/ owner stories and whatever youtube things are around on a particular guitar, we have more chance of asking the seller the right questions (Nut width, finish condition, cracks?, neck straight/feel for playing and on and on....) and then getting a guitar that is close to expectations. I also have access to a top luthier to set it up for me.

If not up to these expectations, the return policy gets real important! I have been happy with Elderly Instruments - no affiliation - their service and packing are excellent but the prices reflect this. Ebay is another thing altogether...

I have never sent anything back - again - really lucky.

BluesKing777.

Eventually I'll replace my HD28 with a J45TV, but no rush.

Rich - I am not a pro, just your garden variety middle age hobbiest - but IMO I think you will find a J-45TV to be a very nice compliment to your HD28, but not a replacement for it. I'd try to wait for the circumstances where you could just add the J-45, but I think if you are gonna straight up replace the Martin, you might be dissappointed - unless you've got another Martin dread or two in the herd. My J45 sings, but the 28 roars. There is stuff that just sounds right on the Martin rosewood, that I cannot duplicate on the Gibson. My 2 cents.

Rich - I am not a pro, just your garden variety middle age hobbiest - but IMO I think you will find a J-45TV to be a very nice compliment to your HD28, but not a replacement for it. I'd try to wait for the circumstances where you could just add the J-45, but I think if you are gonna straight up replace the Martin, you might be dissappointed - unless you've got another Martin dread or two in the herd. My J45 sings, but the 28 roars. There is stuff that just sounds right on the Martin rosewood, that I cannot duplicate on the Gibson. My 2 cents.

Very true Dan. I actually was not crazy about my HD28, but if I had my druthers I would have a D35 right now along with my existing guitars.

I hear you. My HD28 was really my first good guitar. After I bought a D18GE I found I didn't play the 28 that much anymore. Then I bought a rosewood Huss and Dalton from a friend and I found I played the 28 even less. The Huss became the finger picking guitar and the 18 is used for bluegrass. I am by no means a good flat picker, but the 18 works for me in jams. What got me going about another Gibson is that I was lucky enough to get a 1939 J55 from a friend. It has been refinished, so it didn't break the bank, but this guitar sounds incredible. I realize a new J45 won't be like that but if it's close and plays as easily I will be happy. I had not played a Gibson for many years and I forgot how nice the neck feels to me. Hence, the interest in another Gibson. I don't have to sell the 28 but it just seems a shame to have it sit.

I'll probably back off on the search until after the holidays unless something falls in my lap like the J55 did. I really appreciate all the comments and knowledge on this board.

Rich

Archived