Gibson Brands Forums

Picked up an L-00 Pro today

geeterpicker

I brand new to the Gibson forum. Today I became the proud owner of a new L-00 Pro. I've played guitar for 47 years and this is my first Gibson guitar. I had an old 1921 A mandolin for a few years, but sold it to a friend. Anyway, I have been GASsing for an L-00 for a while now. I tried out a 1933 L-00 at the Guitar Center near me in Cincy and it was incredible, but I had no money. The next time I went back, it was gone, which seems to always be the case. So yesterday my son and I went in GC and I saw this little L-00 Pro and started playing it. I couldn't put it down and couldn't get it out of my mind. This all too familiar feeling would only have one outcome. I would have to figure out which guitars in my modest herd and which gear I could sacrifice to get it. So I gathered those items and took them in. I had guessed in my mind what they would offer me for them and, as it turned out, I was exactly right. And it was enough to let me get this fine little guitar with the spunky, bluesy tone.

DSCF0236.jpg?t=1357411796

Congratulations, and welcome. Many L-OO fans here.

I had to laugh out loud, as your office/music room looks a lot like mine: guitars and cases, amps, stools, music stands, and a computer with a guitar up on the screen. Just about everything a guitar junkie needs, except more space.

Enjoy!

I have a 33 L-00 (elevated fingerboard) and a 33 L-0. They're spectacular. I've played several of the new "L-00" series and I've been quite impressed. Give that beauty some time to open up an I think you'll be coming up with excuses to not do something else so you can play. Congratulations.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

To Rambler, about the comparison between the '33 and my guitar - I really don't think they compared. The '33 was a far more mature guitar and had a much beefier neck. It was leagues past my guitar in tone, just because it had so much age on it. I think the '33's tone was richer and more complex. Now, the new guitar had a faster neck and the intonation is a lot better. That's about as best as I can do in comparing them.

Dave F, yes, you are practically next door, aren't you?

Congrats!!! Thats a nice Guit!!! I am a great fan of those L-00 size Gibby's.

"I couldn't put it down and couldn't get it out of my mind. This all too familiar feeling would only have one outcome."....if this is not a perfect definition of G.A.S., I don't know what is...lol

Congrats!!! Thats a nice Guit!!! I am a great fan of those L-00 size Gibby's.

"I couldn't put it down and couldn't get it out of my mind. This all too familiar feeling would only have one outcome."....if this is not a perfect definition of G.A.S., I don't know what is...lol

I like this guitar. At least from photos. I went to GC in Boston about six months ago hoping to see one - of course they didn't have one!

How is the tone compared to the Blues King? Just curious GP, what kind of stuff do you play on this?

about the comparison between the '33 and my guitar - I really don't think they compared. The '33 was a far more mature guitar and had a much beefier neck
. Goes without saying, but wondering if the pro has a similar 'character' of tone. Is it in the ballpark of the old guy, or does it do its own thing?

onewilyfoo, I do Norman Blake stuff and fingerpicked blues on it. Truth is, I do whatever I feel like on it. It's not a bluegrass guitar, for sure.

Rambler, I'd say the character of the tone is in the ballpark with the '33, but, as I'm sure you can surmise, the new one has some living to do to catch up.

Those Guitar Center trade in deals can often go a long ways towards making your dream guitar affordable.

That's how I managed to swing my ES-330 VOS a few months ago, and it was the same basic experience:

Couldn't put it down & couldn't leave without it.

Congrats!

trvlr, I think I know what you are referring to. That GC had two L-00s there for a spell from the 30s. I only played one of them. The other was kinda high up and I didn't want to stretch for it. The '33 didn't have any obvious repairs, so maybe the '37 had the football shaped patch. Everytime I go in there, they have the guitars moved around. I was in there Friday when I played the one I eventually bought and it was on the wall on the left side. When I went in there yesterday, I looked at that wall and it was gone. My heart sunk, then I turned around and there it was, on the floor on a stand. I went to that other little room where they normally keep the vintage stuff and looked at things there for a minute or two, but there was nothing in that room that I craved. So, I went back to the main good guitar room. I looked at others there to see if anything else was in the price range that made my heart flutter and there wasn't anything. So I made sure that I had that little Gibby in my hands everytime someone stepped in there.

When they had the '33, they were asking $2500. I thought that was a great price for that guitar.

As for the nut width and string spacing. The specs list the nut as 1.725. It's pretty narrow. The string spacing is not listed on the specs, but at the bridge it appears to be very close to 2 1/4.

Archived