Gibson Brands Forums

No Thank You. Henry.

AXE®

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think something that bolts-on and bolts-off is an indication Henry is listening better than he did with the "Firebird X".

I don't require the CEO of my favorite guitar company be a good guitar player or know everything. I think it would be important that he have guys who DO know what they are doing build the guitars.

I would prefer the guys who set up the PLEK machine know how to tune a guitar than for Henry to. What's more important than Henry knowing what makes a guitar in tune is for Henry to know that if you CAN'T tune a guitar, a PLEK does no good.

I dunno... Actually given how in my olden days I messed around a lot with alternative tunings... I'd kinda like to have a couple of these gadgets. Dunno how much it costs, etc., etc., but... I can easily see how I could do some of my older material a lot easier.

I do think that it'd be best on an already relatively heavy guitar such as an LP or even 335 as opposed to an already relatively light body/heavy neck instrument like the SG. I can also see a lotta use for it on an acoustic or AE.

I've had some past problems in winter weather with a jazz box coming way out of tune too easily on stage, especially the first cupla three pieces.

So... Yeah, I'm perfectly capable of tuning my own. I'm basically as happy with a pitch pipe at home as with a Snark or other electronic tuner. But... I honestly don't understand the "anti" on this one.

The only really possible "anti" I can feature is in a band where it can get to be a game of "do we play in tune, do we play in relative tune, or do we let it be a little outa tune 'cuz we have so many effects that an audience can't tell?"

E.g., playing blues with any variation of a B3, harp, brass and reeds, bass, rhythm and lede guitar... I think you've gotta greater requirement to be really in tune.

But then, perhaps that's just an old man talking.

m

If it's cheap enough, and bolts on without altering the guitar, heck yea, I'd probrably have one. I'd be nice for a couch guitar for sure.

If it was expensive, and required a guy have lots of money, the route I would prefer would be as Henry suggest: buy a guitar for each tuning. I likes that idea.

And of corse, then spend all kinds of dough modding and tweaking each one.

Oh yea, and an amp for each one.

But AXE®.... didn't you hear him?? It's impossible to tune a guitar without tuning all strings at once....

:rolleyes:

Seriously, though... thinking about it, while it would be a waste of money for my 6 strings, do they make one for 12 strings? I'd pay for a device to quickly tune my 12 string.... [woot]

But AXE®.... didn't you hear him?? It's impossible to tune a guitar without tuning all strings at once....

:rolleyes:

Seriously, though... thinking about it, while it would be a waste of money for my 6 strings, do they make one for 12 strings? I'd pay for a device to quickly tune my 12 string.... [woot]

No doubt! I'd love one on my Ric 12.

I'm in the middle on this.

I like the tuning technology, as well as the Chameleon technology and the on-board digital sound technology.

I have the tuning technology on one of my guitars now - a Robot SG LTD. I've been looking at guitars with the Chameleon/digital sound tech, and might buy one.

But I want the rest of my guitars with traditional tuners and electronics. There's a market for both and hopefully Gibson will continue to produce for both markets. I wouldn't want MiniE Tune on everything.

I think it's wrong to class Axe as a Luddite.

And I'm a guy who'd go for one of these things if A) it was affordable and B) it was replaceable with original equipment tuners.

Here's the deal:

For years I resisted "fancy" cameras for photojournalism where I live because those things were dependent on batteries that die when you're in the boonies or when it's cold - and inevitably your backup batteries run down as quickly as the ones that were in the machine. So... I always carried Nikons that were awfully minimalist in terms of what required a battery. If the light metering system went down because of a battery, ain't a big deal. If the thing wouldn't take a photo, I was in trouble.

And I got called a Luddite for that set of choices.

But... nowadays I'm using digital that gives one no choice. You have to depend on batteries or no pix. But... I adjusted and oddly I'm doing quite well enough with a cupla Nikon digitals and various glass.

So I'd say it's what you figure you're doing and how you want your tools to respond.

I do think there's a good point that it's faster and easier to use a little black box give you whatever tuning you want and be "on" regardless. I'd love to have one, especially for a click and an alternative tuning.

HenryJ is correct that especially depending on what strings you're using, especially switching tunings, you're affecting more than just the strings you drop or raise. In a solo folkie gig, it makes no diff. In a gig you don't change tunings it may or may not make a diff; a person with a decent ear can do without it regardless...

Or he/she can use it as another tool in the tool box. Ditto various stomp boxes, IMHO.

I also think there's a good point that you should know how to do the tunings without a little black box - and recognize that the box ain't always gonna work - just as my digital Nikons ain't always gonna work.

So I don't personally see either perspective as "wrong."

m

Archived