Gibson Brands Forums

The new J-35

davenumber2

According to Russo Music, the price is $1699. They have that on their Facebook page. I don't know if that is "list" or what they will sell it for. Below is from their FB page.

New Gibson J35 coming soon. Sitka spruce top, mahogany back and sides handmade in Montana $1699!!!!! Preorders started this week. #gibson #acoustic #guitars #J35 #forhowmuch?

I don't know about the claim that the J-35 was traditionally a natural-finish instrument. It seems to me that the natural version was the exception rather than the rule.

In any event, it looks like a nice addition to the lineup -- the J-35 reissues I've played tended to be nice instruments. The 2009 20th Anniversary edition was certainly a good one!

Fred

I don't know about the claim that the J-35 was traditionally a natural-finish instrument. It seems to me that the natural version was the exception rather than the rule.

I don't think anyone in Bozeman at this point is an expert on Gibson history. I'm afraid that all the historical pronouncements need to be taken with a grain of salt. In this case, the natural-topped J-35 wasn't even introduced until '39, and I'm pretty sure that the sizable majority built between '39 and '42 were sunburst. Most of the J-35s built in Bozeman have been sunburst as well. That's Gibson for ya!

-- Bob R

P.S. added later: I had a look at Larry Meiners's Gibson Shipment Totals 1937-1979, and he has almost 99% of J-35s built between 1937 and 1941 as sunburst: 2449 burst and just 28 natural. Naturals aren't that rare -- he has the first naturals listed as '41, which is definitely too late -- but it gives you the right general idea. The vast majority of J-35s are 'burst.

Natural finish, small bridge and minimal appointments seem to be what keep the price down. It has the advanced bracing too and it sounds great.

What would a small bridge have to do with it. I mean, how could it save more than a few bucks?

Anyone know when the guitar will be available to buy?

I don't think anyone in Bozeman at this point is an expert on Gibson history. I'm afraid that all the historical pronouncements need to be taken with a grain of salt. .... That's Gibson for ya!

-- Bob

<sigh> -- yes, I know, Bob..... [confused]

At least with the natural finish, they won't have to worry about getting the 'shadow sunburst' finish under the pickguard wrong.....

Fred

I don't think anyone in Bozeman at this point is an expert on Gibson history. I'm afraid that all the historical pronouncements need to be taken with a grain of salt. In this case, the natural-topped J-35 wasn't even introduced until '39, and I'm pretty sure that the sizable majority built between '39 and '42 were sunburst. Most of the J-35s built in Bozeman have been sunburst as well. That's Gibson for ya!

-- Bob

Bob I have a 1930 j35 run that Ren did and its natural? You sure they never made a natural one till 39?

Bob I have a 1930 j35 run that Ren did and its natural? You sure they never made a natural one till 39?

Yep. (Well, as sure as one can be given that it's Gibson.) Those Five Stars are a weird mix of features. Cosmetically, they're '42s -- multiple top binding and a black nut. But they have three scalloped tone bars, and sure enough do sound more reminiscent of the "raw" early ones than the "smooth" late ones. Just Gibson being Gibson.

-- Bob

What would a small bridge have to do with it. I mean, how could it save more than a few bucks?

Anyone know when the guitar will be available to buy?

I was just pointing out the differences I saw when I played it. Production has not begun yet but is slated to soon from what I hear.

Archived