Gibson Brands Forums

I'm looking for a good Reggae song to add to my play list....

onewilyfool

IMO there are two ways to address this question... [biggrin]

Either go for a trad song from the many popular classics

Or try one of the re-interpreted songs...personal favourite 'Knockin' on Heaven's Door' a la Clapton or G'n R...

Known as 'reggification'... :blink:

V

:-({|=

Sitting in Limbo or many Rivers to Cross. A pair of Jimmy Cliff classics from The Harder They Fall.

Almost anything off that album would be a good choice. One of my all-time favorites, and a great introduction to classic reggae. It's actually "The Harder They Come", and it's the soundtrack album for an incredible movie of the same name.

You goin' Rasta?

Well, Ole Wily, ya gonna haff to get a new hat - they may be still available in SF....

And while Haile Selassie is still rolling around in his hole in hysterics, here is another:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o4Fgh0KW_4

EDIT:

I found the Chordie.com bits for you! You can do a G country version or you can do a Keef version in E:

http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/tabfu.thudspace.net/j/jagger_mick/dont_look_back.crd

BluesKing777.

My three favorite reggae artists, in order of preference are: Bob Marley, Jimmy Cliff and, oddly, David Lindley (El Rayo-X). Peter Tosh is worth a listen too (the song where Mick Jagger sings backup vocals escapes me right now). The genre is so repetitive to me that the particular words aren't so much what it's about to me, pick whatever resonates with you or the perceived audience. It's trance music. One of the guys I play with classifies it as "Carribean raga", as opposed to central European ragas, Indian ragas, gypsy ragas, etc. I like the suggestion above to write your own words, also.

Archived