Gibson Brands Forums

This is a very un-happy camper

Silverbursted

I never buy on Ebay or other sites like that for this very reason. I would rather spend my hard earned $ on a new guitar that I can see, hold, & play knowing that I can get my $$ back if I'm not satisfied. That guy is lucky he got his $ back. This is the season for thieves to do what they do (Christmas time & the bad Economy). Lock your doors and don't leave your precious equipment in your car unattended.

wow! fakes are getting better! everything(body' date=' headstock shapes) is getting closer.[/quote']

Thats because the counterfeiters hang out in the forums reading about how to spot a fake then fixing the shortcomings.

Exactly. I suggest blowing off those "Is this fake?" threads from now on or just replying with "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is" rather than commenting on them.

Hey, we all like to show off how we can spot a fake Gibson from a mile away but who is it really helping?

I know the guy is pissed off, but read his auction. he did (after much work) get his money back and he still has the pos firewood, I would think that a smart scam artist would have closed his ebay account and disappeared. All I am trying to say is there is something fishy here.

wow! fakes are getting better! everything(body' date=' headstock shapes) is getting closer.[/quote']

The serial number is still wrong, it starts with a 7, which means it should be a 57 re-issue.

And they still don't even try to make the Gibson logo look like mother of pearl.

And the case looks like utter crap too.

The scammers probably used pictures of the real thing in the original action, they probably hoped the buyer wouldn't notice the difference when the guitar arrived.

Never buy if the seller cannot provide you with some fresh pictures, and even then they could be fooling you.

Buying something for a lot of money without seeing irl first always has it's risks.

Maybe we could seed false information to the fakers.....

.....but better would be some way of encouraging potential buyers to get it checked either someplace like this, or by the manufacturers. If Gibson would check out the auction of a Gibson for a potential purchaser, the fakers would have a real struggle to pass fakes off as real. All the manufacturers are hot on VERO and so on - maybe they could get pro-active instead of reactive.

Heck - last time I ebayed some Rolex watch-back spanners, they were held up 24 hours whilst Rolex verified them. Why can't Gibson, Fender, Epi, Gretsch and the rest do the same?

I know the guy is pissed off' date=' but read his auction. he did (after much work) get his money back and he still has the pos firewood, I would think that a smart scam artist would have closed his ebay account and disappeared. All I am trying to say is there is something fishy here.[/quote']

Im with rd on this one...

Paypal are SH*T...PERIOD

Flight959

I agree with Rich and gitarest, we should stop giving info to noobs that create accounts and the first thing they ask is "is this a fake?"... we should give that info (how to spot a fake and if the guitar in question is a fake and why) only to known members and via private messages.

So... regular forum members... does this get a yea or nay?

I agree with Rich and gitarest' date=' we should stop giving info to noobs that create accounts and the first thing they ask is "is this a fake?"... we should give that info (how to spot a fake and if the guitar in question is a fake and why) only to known members and via private messages.

So... regular forum members... does this get a yea or nay?[/quote']

Yea from my end.

Neither a vote nor looking for an agreement will do any good, TG:

1) Not everyone will read this thread

2) Not everyone will be able to resist showing off how they can spot a fake

Personally, I have no sympathy for the guy who got ripped off in that auction. He thought he was going to buy a $3700 guitar "FOR A COOL $1630 DOLLARS." He must have had an idea of what those guitars sell for new and I can guess a few possibilities that might be as to what was going through his head at the time he decided to buy it.

I dont think any of the members here are responsible for helping the wankers fake guitars.. Its easy, real easy to find in depth information photos etc etc on official sites on anything that you want to copy.. You only need a genuine instrument in your hands

Gibson even has its own section on its website on how to spot a fake...

If you think "we" are responsible for helping these people either directly or indrectly to fake instruments then you'd better get in the real world...!!!!!!

Flight959

i'm wondering why you guys still care? it makes me laugh a little bit to see you guys puff up and thump your chests and say "how dare they!"

who gives a sh!t! anyone who genuinely gets hosed i feel sympathy for. but like Rich said, the buyer should have known better. if he couldnt tell that guitar was so obviously fake, then he had no business buying it in the first place.

its kinda like when noobs show up and say, i am going to buy either a LP Standard or a 1959 VOS Reissue. Which should i get? if you cant tell the difference between prime rib and hamburger, then for god's sake, save your money and get the hamburger.

Interesting reading here, I sure feel sorry for both guys especially the one "buying" the JP les paul for $15K and not even getin' fire wood...

I'll sure warn my brother who has been buying stuff over the net, he hasn't been suckered yet, but you 'll never know..

Found this today. Pretty sad story' date=' but he should have checked it out first.

E-Bay ripoff

Man, I feel for that cat, but he was really stupid to pay that way. Really stupid.

It's posted all over eBay that you should NEVER pay via direct transfer. He ignored the warnings, and lost BIG time.

These con artists count on stupidity and laziness, and they will always be around to take advantage.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/25681-help-need-advice-ebay-item-not-shipped-jimmy-page-tom-murphy.html

now this is bad....REAL bad. but here is why you should never EVER use bank wires.

Sorry for saying this, but I think this guy is plain stupid. There, I said it.

He is trying to be nice and protect the guy "whose identity was stolen/used"... c´mon! He should sue his ***.

Neither a vote nor looking for an agreement will do any good' date=' TG:

1) Not everyone will read this thread

2) Not everyone will be able to resist showing off how they can spot a fake

Personally, I have no sympathy for the guy who got ripped off in that auction. He thought he was going to buy a $3700 guitar "FOR A COOL $1630 DOLLARS." He must have had an idea of what those guitars sell for new and I can guess a few possibilities that might be as to what was going through his head at the time he decided to buy it.[/quote']

I know what you mean and couldnt agree more... but hey, I think the ones that read this post can do their part, I also agree with you: no sympathy for that guy.

I know some guys like him, they think they are going to rip off the seller... they think they know everything and aint no one gonna tell them otherwise. And then they go and get f-cked.

Anyone hoping to get a 3500 guitar (or any good), like new, for (say) 300 bucks, should get ripped off by one of these a-holes.

Archived