Gibson Brands Forums

NEW Les Paul Custom Lite

Rabs

Les Paul Custom Lite.. apparently its The Most Comfortable Les Paul Ever....lol

If it had silver hardware a 60s neck and the missing tone knob and then maybe ;) (thats a mini toggle switch for coil splitting :-k )

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Custom-Lite.aspx

$2,498

Genuine Mahogany body with carved maple top

Mahogany neck with rounded '50s profile

Rosewood fingerboard with acrylic split-diamond inlays

Powerful 490R and 498T humbucking pickups in the neck and bridge positions

Gold plated Grover keystone tuners with 16:1 ratio

Splash-02-8_zps8b0e4f40.jpg

You say lite but the weight isn't on the description...damnit Rabs! Comfortable, my aunt fanny [flapper]

LOL one can only assume they mean this

In crafting the Les Paul Custom Lite, Gibson USA starts with time-tested ingredients, including the legendary tonewood pairing of a carved maple top and genuine mahogany body, the latter treated with Gibson’s traditional weight relief to reduce the load and enhance resonance.

So its a custom with traditional weight releif?? Dont they all have that? More confusing product descriptions from Gibson :) And whats with the Genuine Mahogany? So other Les Pauls are made with fake Mahogany? [confused] :P

A gold star to anyone who can work it out ;)

I saw this in a thread started yesterday over in the LP section.

I find it interesting. I don't like the 3 knob / 1 mini-toggle look at all but I doubt it would be difficult to replace the 'missing' tone pot : possibly with a push-pull one to keep the coil-split option.

The rosewood 'board looks a bit odd on a Black Beauty but with some Fret Doctor....

I wonder what the 'Street price' will be. MSRP of $2.5k is quite low to begin with for a 'Tuxedo' Custom.

I'm certainly not in the market for another LP but if I was I'd definitely have this one on my 'To Do' list.

All-in-all another good offering from Gibson - even though it is yet another variation of a Les Paul.

The weight-thing? Just as Bence suggested, this is taken from the home-page; "...made with a considerably thinner body and traditional weight relief..."

P.

Hello Pippy!

I agree with You. The whole concept seems to me like Gibson is making another run of the Classic Custom (now with rosewood fingerboard). The recipe is quite the same: Custom look, with less luxurious article. Acrylic inlays, no binding on the back. Attractive package at nice price.

The lack of tone knob bugs me too, but as You said: it is easy to correct it.

If it's going to have the late-eighties style thin body, then I am not interested. (Not if I am looking for another guitar, well... God only knows :D).

Cheers... Bence

what's wrong with a push/pull for coil splitting? and how about a out-of-phase switch? not that I wouldn't just mod this on my own...

There are no split diamonds on the fretboard as far as I can see.

and 490r 498t are about the most boring pickups gibson offer...

...There are no split diamonds on the fretboard as far as I can see...

It's not the 'board inlays that are split;

"...the headstock carries an Acrylic Gibson logo and traditional acrylic split-diamond inlay..."

P.

It's sort of amazing to me of all the varieties of LP that Gibson offers some of the things they come up with. Gold hardware is nice to look at, but if there is any sweat in your hands the stop bar, bridge and most of the pickups will become silver over time. The thinner body might be a little more comfortable and lighter which would be good as long as it doesn't effect the meaty mid-range tone we all expect from a LP. The price seems fair (as mentioned street price s/b even less). Not my favorite pickup combo - again each has their own preference. But why on earth would they eliminate a tone pot in favor of coil splitting? To me that's the deal breaker. I played some LPs with coil splitting before purchasing my last LP, and frankly it didn't do it for me. Now I am not a big P-90 fan to begin with (to each his own tone), but when I pulled the tone knobs to split the coil, yes it sounded different than the full humbucker - but it didn't really sound like a single coil either - just sort of in between. So you have traded out the ability to adjust the tone of your pickups individually for a mediocre split coil sound. Not for me. As some have mentioned you could mod it back to what it should be, but why buy a brand new guitar and have to remodel it so to speak to make it into what you want?

It just seems that all these models with slight modifications contribute to keeping the prices higher than needed. Too much various tooling, parts, changing the production schedule etc to handle making all these models.

Appearance wise, it's seems more "Epiphone" than Gibson...save the headstock, of course.

"Les Paul" folks, tend to be more tradtionalists, overall. But, there are Always exceptions.

Personally, I've never understood the need for more than 5 models: Jr., Special, Studio,

Standard, and Custom. Everything else...pickup changes, wiring changes, hardware preferences,

can be addressed by the individual buyer's, as they used to be (and still are), anyway.

According to what's often written, on this and the Epiphone forum, a lot of folks still change

out, one or more of the stock items, anyway...to their own preferences. So, why not go back

to the "basic's," at a more favorable price point, and concentrate on making those

basic models, as Great as they can be, in quality of materials, original spec's

(or, any REAL improvements), and stop wasting time, resources, etc., reinventing

the wheel???! [tongue][confused]

CB

Appearance wise, it's seems more "Epiphone" than Gibson...save the headstock, of course.

"Les Paul" folks, tend to be more tradtionalists, overall. But, there are Always exceptions.

Personally, I've never understood the need for more than 5 models: Jr., Special, Studio,

Standard, and Custom. Everything else...pickup changes, wiring changes, hardware preferences,

can be addressed by the individual buyer's, as they used to be (and still are), anyway.

concentrate on making those

(or, any REAL improvements), and stop wasting time, resources, etc., reinventing

CB

That's a player's perspective, from a business perspective maybe they have different priorities.

I think they should do as you say and if they want to make something new...make truly new guitars that look and sound different. It is risky but the risk can pay off. Players who trust their ears won't shun a guitar just because it isn't "The SG" or "The LP".

Guest Farnsbarns

According to what's often written, on this and the Epiphone forum, a lot of folks still change

out, one or more of the stock items, anyway...to their own preferences. So, why not go back

to the "basic's," at a more favorable price point, and concentrate on making those

CB

I respectfully disagree.

If that was the full line up I wouldn't own one so there's proof of the marketing and the market. I don't like asymmetrical necks and while I quite like a chambered LP I would have to have a solid or weight relieved one first. Lucky for me Gibson recognise me and my kind and cater for that market at two price points, traditional and reissue. Further, I'd struggle to buy a guitar knowing I intended to change the pickups. If it wasn't right with stock pups I wouldn't be willing to part with the cash. I've never changed pups in one of my own guitars because I was happy with them when I bought them.

CB

I just wanted to quote you. msp_flapper.gif

I respectfully disagree.

If that was the full line up I wouldn't own one so there's proof of the marketing and the market. I don't like asymmetrical necks and while I quite like a chambered LP I would have to have a solid or weight relieved one first. Lucky for me Gibson recognise me and my kind and cater for that market at two price points, traditional and reissue. Further, I'd struggle to buy a guitar knowing I intended to change the pickups. If it wasn't right with stock pups I wouldn't be willing to part with the cash. I've never changed pups in one of my own guitars because I was happy with them when I bought them.

That's fine. I was speaking only from "a personal point of view," and not that of everyone, obviously.

But, I think we're all (now) "Spoiled Rotten." It's kinda like when you "give them everything they want,

they just want more!" Where does it stop/end? [tongue][flapper][biggrin]

I rarely changed anything on the "old ones!" Never saw the need, really. But, to each his/her own.

"Variety is the spice of life," and all that. I guess, that's why Gibson makes so many Les Paul Models,

and Fender constantly makes more "Strats?!!" So..."Whatever!" :rolleyes:[biggrin]

Hello Rabs!

It's so obvious: the absence of the tone knob saves You important milligrams! [wink]

Probably, just like the earlier Custom Lite, this one has a thinner body.

Cheers... Bence

Lol of course that must be it #-o

Gold star to you then :)

... And whats with the Genuine Mahogany? So other Les Pauls are made with fake Mahogany? [confused] :P

A gold star to anyone who can work it out ;)

Actually, Yes.

This from the Wiki entry on mahogany;

" 'Mahogany' is any of many different kinds of tropical hardwood, most of which are reddish-brown wood that is widely used in furniture-making, boat building, and other high specification uses. However, there are only three species of "genuine mahogany", all indigenous to the Americas.' ".

I can't vouch for the accuracy of the following statement, but I was informed Epi uses a slightly different type of wood - which is still called mahogany - whereas Gibson uses 'real' (if you like) mahogany.

I was told this after I asked why Gibson had to use weight-relief to get their mahogany body-blanks down to an acceptable weight whereas Epi could, seemingly, get a never-ending supply of the stuff from which they made solid-bodied Lesters.

But, as AXE® would say,......

P.

Actually, Yes.

" 'Mahogany' is any of many different kinds of tropical hardwood, most of which are reddish-brown wood that is widely used in furniture-making, boat building, and other high specification uses. However, there are only three species of "genuine mahogany", all indigenous to the Americas.' ".

I can't vouch for the accuracy of the following statement, but I was informed Epi uses a slightly different type of wood - which is still called mahogany - whereas Gibson uses 'real' (if you like) mahogany.

I was told this after I asked why Gibson had to use weight-relief to get their mahogany body-blanks down to an acceptable weight whereas Epi could, seemingly, get a never-ending supply of the stuff.

But, as AXE® would say,......

P.

Hmm interesting.

So is that like Champagne can only be called that if it comes from Champagne in France.. Everything else is called sparkling wine..?

Hmm interesting.

So is that like Champagne can only be called that if it comes from Champagne in France.. Everything else is called sparkling wine..?

Well, almost the opposite, Rabs, but yes you've got the general idea.

It seems that many species of reddish-brown tropical hardwoods are called mahogany although there are only, in actual fact, three genuine types.

P.

Where's my Gold Star, BTW......lol!

Actually, Yes.

And if anyone had been paying attention, supposing they had been playing the guitar any length of time, they would have noted the subtle changes in the descriptive passages used to illustrate the features of the average Super Fast Molten Hot Shredderific Lightning Fingerboarded Slab Of Rock And Roll Tonnage.

"Honduran" vs "African" mahogany was early 2000s, and it lasted quite a while. Somebody, somewhere, stopped calling it "African" mahogany, I suppose somebody pointed out to Bob that Ovangkol not only isn't "mahogany", it's like having a 3000 dollar plastic guitar that wood is so weird.

Sappele was big for a while too, and was also called "African" mahogany. Khayya(sp?) is actually African Mahogany, but I have been told it is so rare that all of us combined couldn't afford a guitar made of it. But that hasn't stopped them from using the word in the late 90's and early 2000s.

Just my recollections is all.

rct

Well, almost the opposite, Rabs, but yes you've got the general idea.

It seems that many species of reddish-brown tropical hardwoods are called mahogany although there are only, in actual fact, three genuine types.

P.

Where's my Gold Star, BTW......lol!

HANG ON!!

So does that mean that say my 2008 Standard and Tribute (and god forbid my Classic) are not made from "Genuine" Mahogany? :o

Right thats it.. I want my money back.. Im going to report this under the trades descriptions act!! Your rumbled Gibson!

:P

Bubinga! That was a big one! Forgot about that one, one of the early "boutique african mahogany"s. Man, we got a lotta laughs about Bubinga in the last century on usenet.

rct

Guest Farnsbarns

Bubinga! That was a big one! Forgot about that one, one of the early "boutique african mahogany"s. Man, we got a lotta laughs about Bubinga in the last century on usenet.

rct

Isn't that what the guy in Big Bang Theory hallways says?

Archived