Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar set-up cost

Izzy

As you all know I got an old Teisco so I could play it, not just to have it. It sounds decent and plays okay but I know it could be much better with a proper set up. I know many guys get cheap guitars, upgrade this and that and PRESTO...a good guitar. I'd leave mine as original as possible but want to get a better set-up.

Today at Rockin' Robin the guy in the back said it would be $80 because, " the neck is warped, it should be re-freted but I won't do it, this knob is loose and may need new parts under the pickguard, the screws will be hard to remove..." At the end he said, "sell the thing and get a playable guitar. It sort of hurt my feelings, I thought this would be playable if we just gave it a little tlc. [crying]

I know it is harder to work on an old guitar and the price may be on the high end of fair...my main concern is, once it is set up, will the sound/results justify the expence and trouble? Should I use this guitar as a tool to learn how to, "insert technical jargon here" or should I not put my clumsy hands on it?

I'd say read articles and watch YouTube video's of setting up a guitar and practice on it yourself. It's not rocket science.

You can adjust the truss rod easily enough and fret leveling isn't beyond the normal person. You've not got a lot to lose. I wouldn't recommend it on a Gibson, but you can practice on this. Even try the electrics. It's fun and so satisfying after you've done it. I'm sure you'll get all the advice you need by asking on here too. Take some pics and show it to us.

lzzy picked it up because she liked it, not because she's short on guitars if I recall correctly. 80 is within an acceptable range for a setup in my experience, a little on the high side - but if the neck is a bit warped and he's able to fix it (I'm not very knowledgable on those old Teiscos so I dont know how feasible it is without planing it) that's money well spent. You can always take it to another shop/luthier to get a second opinion.

Iz, I'm with you on the old Teisco. They WERE famous for being cheap POS guitars, but they were REALLY cool in their own right (and day). As a kid I used to drool over them at the department store, especially the ones that had seventeen pickups and twenty switches.

Anyway, I digress...

$80 is probably a fair enough price for what it sounds like it needs, BUT...... I think maybe you have the perfect platform to learn guitar tech wizardry. I would jump in with both feet and start tweaking that baby. You've got plenty of forum big brothers to help in a pinch, and the skills you learn will serve you a lifetime.

I say it's time you opened her up.

I concur with the previous posters..[thumbup] above...You CAN learn to do some stuff by yourself with some internet info and by googling. The main thing is having the proper tools(can get expensive) and an aptitude to "wrap your brain" around the concept....It is not "rocket science" in a sense, but really a whole lot more fun...[wink] IMHO.

There are SOoooooo many skills involved when considering even cheap electrics....soldering, troubleshooting electronics, as well as the acoustical mechanics of the guitar....frets, action, nut, saddle....etc.

In defense of the guy that gave you the advice....none of the above skills and tools are as gratifying on a cheap guitar as they are on a premium guitar. This is simply because you are 'starting out' with lesser quality in materials and workmanship.

I have seen many a musician playing an inexpensive guitar and making it sound like a million bucks....it CAN and DOES happen...."once in a blue moon":)

I say, proceed on to where your heart, soul and wallet(purse) will carry you with your goal.[smile]

As usual. I agree with Larry.

Get out those tools and git to working.

+1 from me too. I intentionally bought a cheapo guitar a couple of years ago ($100) to use as my "setup guinea pig" if you will. I'd tweak that thing before I tried stuff on my good guitars. There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube and the internet, and Dan Erlewine's "Guitar Player Repair Guide" is some of the best $ you'll ever spend, and every guitar player should own it (or equal, if there is one).

Dang it...gotta type all over again.

Gotta say, can't actually answer because the important info I can't see...how are the frets, how much is left, intonation, etc. No real way to judge what was said by the guy or what.

Having said that, a little perspective: Personally, I do a mean set-up. I can dress my own frets, nut's, all of it, as well as anyone. But even still, (in the past), I would still at times drop it off and have someone else do it, just to save the time and effort for the money involved.

It's like having your nails or hair done. You don't get money out of it, but the money spent can be worth it.

In my experience, "warped" can mean a lot of things. All necks get warped to some degree, in some ways, eventually. It depends on what it is. I wouldn't freak out about someone saying "warped" just because.

As to learning to do it yourself, or DIY in general, that has it's own rewards. If it's a hobby, it should be fun. Enjoyment. I wouldn't want to judge on results, but rather the journey. What I mean to say is, you decide if you want to, not our judgement. Your game, your rules. Your the only one who will play. Izzy decide what Iz making happiness.

If it sounds decent, you might wanna consider using it just for slide, too.

Otherwise, the other guys have it pretty well nailed.

Even in the boondocks it'd actually cost me more for a good setup because of travel or shipping costs.

The book probably would be a good first step, then youtube vids on such stuff.

It likely will more than pay for itself as you keep pickin' and getting better at it on your better guitars. The if you have a bit of an idea how you'd care to make a major change in strings or playing style, you'd know what to do even if you took it into a shop.

You'd also learn enough to know whether the "expert" in the shop knows beans.

m

As you all know I got an old Teisco so I could play it, not just to have it. It sounds decent and plays okay but I know it could be much better with a proper set up. I know many guys get cheap guitars, upgrade this and that and PRESTO...a good guitar. I'd leave mine as original as possible but want to get a better set-up.

Today at Rockin' Robin the guy in the back said it would be $80 because, " the neck is warped, it should be re-freted but I won't do it, this knob is loose and may need new parts under the pickguard, the screws will be hard to remove..." At the end he said, "sell the thing and get a playable guitar. It sort of hurt my feelings, I thought this would be playable if we just gave it a little tlc. [crying]

I know it is harder to work on an old guitar and the price may be on the high end of fair...my main concern is, once it is set up, will the sound/results justify the expence and trouble? Should I use this guitar as a tool to learn how to, "insert technical jargon here" or should I not put my clumsy hands on it?

YES! Learning to tech your own guitar should be an essential skill for any guitar player (when all the info. you need is on the internet). Seriously, try to find the owner's manual for the guitar on the web and learn how to DIY (do it yourself). It's much more satisfiying than paying someone to reset factory settings.

You really can get to know your guitar by spending this kind of time with it. You won't be so mad practicing on a cheap guitar if you get it wrong!

An added benefit of learning to "tech" your own guitar is that you will learn what matters and what doesn't when buying guitars in the future. IOW, if a used guitar you're looking has a problem, you'll know whether or not it's a tweak-solved problem.

I've gotten some good deals on guitars that had problems that were really, really easy to solve.

It is worth it just so you know what's involved. You may end up hating the setup stuff, but you'll feel better about paying someone else if you -know- what they're doing for your money.

You'd also learn enough to know whether the "expert" in the shop knows beans.

m

There's a thought.

And come to think of it, I'd feel much better going into a hospital if I knew those working on me had the basics of how to set up a guitar.

And, it gives me another idea, even a great one: if you had the skills, you could set up a business of coming into poeples homes and providing healthcare and guitar set-ups all in one.

There's problably enough demand for that here on this forum!

Today at Rockin' Robin the guy in the back said it would be $80 because, " the neck is warped,

So he's prolly worried that the truss may not be so great, if it even has one.

it should be re-freted but I won't do it,

That alone is worth four of them things. Seriously. Anyone that would even spend their own labor refretting a Teisco is nutz, them things are just junk and not worth it.

this knob is loose and may need new parts under the pickguard, the screws will be hard to remove..." At the end he said, "sell the thing and get a playable guitar. It sort of hurt my feelings, I thought this would be playable if we just gave it a little tlc. [crying]

The only guitar(s) worth using to learn how to set up and fix guitars are guitars that you would use. A Teisco, in the end, isn't worth the labor you would be putting in it. If you had a Mexican strat and it needed a set up, that would be a great place to start learning how to set a neck right and get a bridge right and a nut working right, because you are starting with a half decent guitar that can be made into a great playing guitar. I think RockinRobin is trying to do you a solid and save your money. Besides, as you move through this thing called guitars, you'll probably pretty soon not be bothering with that thing, once you get yer hands on the ones that I'm pretty sure you'll be wantin soon. Couple years maybe, but soon enough.

Good luck with it.

rct

I used to do everything myself but I also know my limitations. When I wanted to rebuild my Sonex it was a mess. The electronics needed to be totally redone, all the metal had to be cleaned, I needed to get a new parts for other things, and, yes, the neck was warped.

The truss rod only fixes a longitudinal warp. I had a torsional warp! I don't know how that happened but fixing it was way beyond my abilities. So I took to a professional like Searcy. He removed the neck, sanded here and there, put the neck back on and it played good as new. I fixed everything else. He actually complemented me on my work, which was nice of him considering that I'm not in his league.

Bottom line: everyone should get a very cheap guitar and take it apart. Have fun learning from your mistakes. Here's my question to you: is this the guitar you want to do this with?

In my day I didn't have a choice because I couldn't afford to have a professional do it. Amps are another one. When they'd break I'd have to fix them. The never did quite sound the same but at least they worked! I also learned the hard way to never use a paper clip for a fuse. [cursing]

In my day I didn't have a choice because I couldn't afford to have a professional do it. Amps are another one. When they'd break I'd have to fix them. The never did quite sound the same but at least they worked! I also learned the hard way to never use a paper clip for a fuse. [cursing]

No way. Match wrapped in cigarette pack foil. Paper clips as fuses were too dangerous.

rct

@ Joe Isuzu

I apreciate your honesty regarding my obvious inexperience. I remember wanting a 90s Civic a couple of years back and a boy who had one telling me, "Lady, unless you like working on cars, get something newer and safer." He wasn't being condecending, it was good advice.

What I meant about it "sounding decent and playing okay" was that if I use good form (to prevent buzzing) it sounds pretty to my ears (I usually play a '73 SG and the cheapie sounds different in a good way). Playing okay means I don't like the action and there is a bit of fret buzz (not on open strum just certain frets).

The guy at the shop looked down the neck and said, making a wave gesture with his hand, "the neck is not straight." I don't think he meant bent in one direction but wavy? The pickguard would be removed so the guts can be, "cleaned or replaced if something is broken." The fat E slides off the nut when I hit it hard.

I would be cool cleaning the guts and adjusting the truss rod (though I have nightmares of snaping the neck) and replacing the nut too. Someone said soldering and that may be the line.

Keep in mind, if I had a cheap squire to tinker with I would have just gone at it. I consulted ya'll because she's an old lady and I didn't want to have ya'll facepalm because I tinkered with it (I have more respect for old guitars than that, even if they are cheap!). I really like milod's suggestion of making it a slide guitar, but learning to tech would be worth it just to not be made a fool of and feel more confident next time I buy.

You do know I was kidding, right? It was fun using whatever we had to make them work, matches, paperclip, bobbypins. I don't think the younger folk today know what it meant to own amps in the days when you could literally go through a fuse a set.

rct

Yeah I know. You made do with whatever you had. We did take extra fuses with us after that time though. I could be here all night talking about the stupid things we did in our youth. One was to make our own lights with miniature Frankenstein switches. Yep, exposed metal switches (talk about dumb idea!). Someone spilled their beer onto the entire rack and blew the whole bar out. Wild and crazy nights indeed.

You do know I was kidding, right? It was fun using whatever we had to make them work, matches, paperclip, bobbypins. I don't think the younger folk today know what it meant to own amps in the days when you could literally go through a fuse a set.

rct

Sloooowwww blow.

And yea, kinda hard to get.

Yeah I know. You made do with whatever you had. We did take extra fuses with us after that time though. I could be here all night talking about the stupid things we did in our youth. One was to make our own lights with miniature Frankenstein switches. Yep, exposed metal switches (talk about dumb idea!). Someone spilled their beer onto the entire rack and blew the whole bar out. Wild and crazy nights indeed.

The crazy part is that you are actually now a rocket scientist.

And they said LeMay was crazy.

Izzy,

Back in the early 60's I had a part time job in the music department of our local discount store. They sold record players, records, phono needles, etc. and Tiesco's guitars and some cheapo amps that I don't even remember. I think I got the job because I could demonstrate the guitars which had a lot more profit margin than the rest of their wares. I enjoyed that part of the job the most and still have a fond memory of those guitars. They weren't the best ones by a long shot but we sold a lot of them to people of all ages.

I guess you have to have some connection to them to want to put time, money, and effort into fixing one up. But the connection you seem to have to it probably makes it a good guitar to fool around with and get an education about the things you need to know for the long term. If it were mine I wouldn't hesitate to jump into it. You really don't have a lot to lose at this point and you will probably get it back closer to what it was when it was as good as it could be.

GB

lzzy, considering you like the guitar and wanted it to begin with, I'd likely spend the $80 and enjoy the guitar. I'd be hesitant to spend much more than that....Even if the neck is warped, so long as the playability is good for you I'd just have fun playing it. And so long as the frets work well for you, enjoy it. My Garrison is starting to show a bit of fret wear, but so what? It plays great for me and it's a guitar to bang on outside when I need one.

Archived