Gibson Brands Forums

My home playing rig

Twiz

This has been my favorite rig to play through at my house lately: Tele Standard > Russian Big Muff or ProCo RAT > MXR Carbon Copy > Boss Ph-1 > Vox AC4TV. Sometimes I just plug straight into the Vox on 1/4 watt and dime it. I like that tone too. [thumbup]

What are you guys jamming through when lower volumes are required?

home_rig_zpsc2c1b5ff.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1363873290[/url]' post='1348818']

This has been my favorite rig to play through at my house lately: Tele Standard > Russian Big Muff or ProCo RAT > MXR Carbon Copy > Boss Ph-1 > Vox AC4TV. Sometimes I just plug straight into the Vox on 1/4 watt and dime it. I like that tone too. [thumbup]

home_rig_zpsc2c1b5ff.jpg

That amp is in my livingroom, too.

home_rig_zpsc2c1b5ff.jpg

Nice rig. I've a question about the ac4. My housemate has the head and cab version and the cleans sound great. Problem is when we dime the volume the gain sounds a little farty. Think changing out the stock ruby's would help? I've also lent him some pedals to try out but the volume increase when you click on an overdrive or dist pedal is phenomenal. Lowering the volume on the pedals didn't help much either. Hope I'm not hijacking the thread, I'll post a pic of my rig when I'm on my laptop

Nice rig. I've a question about the ac4. My housemate has the head and cab version and the cleans sound great. Problem is when we dime the volume the gain sounds a little farty. Think changing out the stock ruby's would help? I've also lent him some pedals to try out but the volume increase when you click on an overdrive or dist pedal is phenomenal. Lowering the volume on the pedals didn't help much either. Hope I'm not hijacking the thread, I'll post a pic of my rig when I'm on my laptop

Hmmm. I haven't played mine dimed with a distortion/OD pedal so I can't really chime in on that. However, I changed my tubes to Sovtek's and I like how it sounds at 10 better now. I might get a 1x12 to play through sometime.

I use these monsters. As them being 25 watts tube amps, they can't be used quietly, otherwise they don't sound right. What I do is, is that I set the volume at 2 and let the pedals boost up the signal, which makes the sound quality acceptable at low volumes as well. Depending on my mood I use both in stereo or just one of them.

HPIM2961.jpg

Cheers... Bence

...I saw one of these amps for sale recently here. Are these solid-state amps?...

Hi Bence, and thanks.

They are a hybrid design.

Leo Fender designed these to be a sort of 'Twin Reverb, only Better!' when he set up Music Man.

It has a s/s pre-amp stage and a valve (tube) power amp stage; tank reverb, vibrato and 2x12.

It has, naturally enough, a Channel Vol and Master Vol control system. The clever thing is in how he wired everything up.

Apparently (from one who read the circuit diagrams) the design uses no fewer than FOUR o/d stages - all using the valves for final output (from what I remember).

The way it works is that full o/d is available at all volumes - even at almost inaudible levels.

As the master vol is increased, however, the amount of 'work' being done by the o/d circuitry is phased out (as it were) in stages to allow 'proper' valve o/d to take over.

I've got a demo clip somewhere which was requested by an interested individual which shows the sound at normal speech levels.

If you like I'll let you hear it somehow.

It's a great amp. In their heyday M-M amps were used by the likes of Clapton, Gilmour, Knopfler etc...etc...

P.

Awesome set-up, Twiz.

What are the specs on your Tele?

Nothing special really. -Just a 2011 MIM Tele Standard. I bought it new last month. I changed the white pick guard for a black one. -Trying to go for more of a 70's vibe with it. I really like the way the neck plays. It's my first single coil guitar too. I love how simple it is. This guitar has also made me change string gauges. It came with 9's. I liked how they felt, and I'm changing over my other standard tuning and Eb guitars to 9's. I've been on a big ZZ Top kick lately and I've even been using a quarter to try to replicate some of Billy Gibbon's sounds. Bends are easier, and I like my vibrato now, but it's very easy to bend too sharp, so I have to work on that. I'm still playing 10's on my guitars tuned to D.

Nothing fancy.

I have a little Fender G-Dec 3 modeling amp. The local store had it on for half price so for 99 bucks I took one.

Sounds great at low volume and the preset loops are fun to jam along with.

It also works awesome in an acoustic jam setting. You can get some great sounds without stepping on anyone's toes.

It really exceeded my expectations.

Nothing special really. -Just a 2011 MIM Tele Standard. I bought it new last month. I changed the white pick guard for a black one. -Trying to go for more of a 70's vibe with it. I really like the way the neck plays. It's my first single coil guitar too. I love how simple it is. This guitar has also made me change string gauges. It came with 9's. I liked how they felt, and I'm changing over my other standard tuning and Eb guitars to 9's. I've been on a big ZZ Top kick lately and I've even been using a quarter to try to replicate some of Billy Gibbon's sounds. Bends are easier, and I like my vibrato now, but it's very easy to bend too sharp, so I have to work on that. I'm still playing 10's on my guitars tuned to D.

Billy Gibbson's uses 8's if im not mistaken. I once tried it but my gorilla hands just kept breaking the strings

Billy Gibbson's uses 8's if im not mistaken. I once tried it but my gorilla hands just kept breaking the strings

Yea, I can't go that light. Haha. I believe Tony Iommi also uses really light strings. I'll probably go back to 10's at some point.

I could be wrong, of course, but I THINK I read that the Rev. uses .007s except on his slide guitars where he uses .008s...

:-k

That's sick. When did you get the PH-1? I've been trying to find a good deal on a PH-1r

Also have you tried putting the phaser before the delay? I think it sounds better that way

I got it about 12 years ago in the used/bargin bin of a shop for $20. The LED doesn't stay on. I am nervous to try to fix it. It's my favorite sounding phaser though. Really mellow sound. Not harsh like my MXR Phase 90.

I sometimes will put it before the delay in my chain. I like the sound after because its a little more subtle.

Archived