Gibson Brands Forums

My home playing rig

Twiz

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The guitar varies but lately I've been playing my Marshall almost exclusively.

IMG_0998_zps077bc29f.jpg

"I don't take pictures of my guitars and amps often, but when I do, I have a Dos Eqius somewhere in the picture, stay thirsty my friends"

[thumbup]

Basically all but one of my electrics (and most of my AEs) wear 9-42 except for the old Guild S100c that wears 8-38.

I dunno why, but the 8-38s just "work" on the Guild SG type guitar.

OTOH, on some my electrics I'm thinking of upping the bass strings just a nudge, but keeping the same trebles. On some the bottom "E" gets pushed a bit on some material.

As far as tone goes, though, that old Guild sounds just fine playing about anything, either fingerstyle or even with my occasional flatpick use. You just have to be a bit more careful how you play or you can/will break strings.

m

Snapshot2009-01-1508-39-38.jpg

And when I really want to switch things up I whip out my trusty

Snapshot2009-01-1508-43-17.jpg

Sometimes I like it a little dirty, so I throw something like this into the mix

101_0619.jpg

or this

101_0476.jpg

I have a wide range of effects to choose from

101_0633.jpg

This is just a few, but it's the last photo I took of my effects. So there ya' have it.

Gibson Les Paul Amplifier. All five watts of it. And don't be mistaken... five watts is plenty to rock the house.

Okay, don't excommunicate me or anything, but lately I've been playing my solid body electrics unamplified, at least when staying quiet was required. I DO have the new Vox AmpPhones though (Twin style) and they are quite nice.

Also have the Vox TV4 in 3 versions (10 inch, 8 inch and the Mini at 6.75 inch I think it is), only the mini here in FL now (also have a Blues Jr. NOS here, but you did say quiet).

Leaving FL later tonight (you guys are providing me a suitable distraction to packing up/cleaning out the rented condo) and heading home, but only for a day- will be gone another week or two for work, then back at home with ALL my equipment, looking forward to some quality playing time!

ES-355, Mesa 5:25 Express, no effects.

Bliss.

EE

What year 355 do you have. Reason I am asking is I have 1963 ES 355 I bought new in 63. Can you post a picture <different thread of course>

Okay, don't excommunicate me or anything, but lately I've been playing my solid body electrics unamplified, at least when staying quiet was required. I DO have the new Vox AmpPhones though (Twin style) and they are quite nice.

I do the same thing sometimes. I like to sit at my computer and just absent mindidly play while Im surfing the web or whatever. I bought the AmPlug Lead a few years ago and it can make a mediocre guitar sound pretty awesome. Wish you could control the delay time on it though

Guest EastEnder

What year 355 do you have. Reason I am asking is I have 1963 ES 355 I bought new in 63. Can you post a picture <different thread of course>

As Blueblooded graciously responded, a picture is at post #30.

The year for this one is 2011. Amazing that you still have your '63. I bought an ES-345 in that year, brand new. Sold it for a Byrdland two years later.

EE

I got it about 12 years ago in the used/bargin bin of a shop for $20. The LED doesn't stay on. I am nervous to try to fix it. It's my favorite sounding phaser though. Really mellow sound. Not harsh like my MXR Phase 90.

I sometimes will put it before the delay in my chain. I like the sound after because its a little more subtle.

Sweet deal! I just like it before because you get all those differently filtered sounds layering on top of each other. Sounds pretty trippy.

Here's what I've been playing with at home

photo_zps1b7ca565.jpg

The pedals and guitar are good but the amp is something I found in the attic and kinda just use since my amp is rarely at home

Lately for playing lower volumes I have been using my Vox Mini-3.It's a great little amp that's plenty loud for keeping in the living room plus it has an earphone jack for private listening so the Missus won't go into pitbull mode for not being able to watch one of her programs.The Mini-3 has some great onboard modulation effects plus great compression and 4 types of reverb/delay.If I want even lower and more private listening I use either my Vox Amplug and Marshall MS-4 with or without headphones. For a bit more living room volume I'll use either my Vox Pathfinder 15R or my '81 Traynor TS-15 that I can set at 5,10 or 15 W and also use my footswitches with them, the 15R also has a headphone jack.

One cool thing that I've found that I can do with the Amplug and MS-4 is to plug a double male end 1/8" stereo cable into the headphone output of the amp into the Aux. input of my Sirius boombox which has incredible tone due to a great onboard amp and speakers plus a great subwoofer in the bottom of it.Using this configuration can get you a really close approximation of an AC-30 or Marshall stack tone at a surprisingly loud volume.

My set up is...lets say I'm not organized and there are cables all over the place. [blush]

I just want fast access...nownownow.

I do keep the guitars safe from harm...those not in use are in cases....in the closet or somewhere.

...and I'm bad at taking pictures...I mean awful, lol.

setup.jpg

My couch guitar. No amp needed...

tf7.jpg

Oooh, Nice!

I can't see the cut-away bout but is that a Tal Farlow?

How old is she?

Very Sweet!

[thumbup]

EDIT : I've just looked closer and think I can see the inlaid curlicue under and beyond the unique-shaped 'guard?

P.

My set up is...lets say I'm not organized and there are cables all over the place. [blush]

I just want fast access...nownownow.

I do keep the guitars safe from harm...those not in use are in cases....in the closet or somewhere.

...and I'm bad at taking pictures...I mean awful, lol.

setup.jpg

Ooooh. I love that SG. Block inlays FTW! What year is that? I'm guessing a 70's model because of the harmonica bridge.

Archived