Gibson Brands Forums

Recording your tracks

krock

Cheers for the input guys, I'll look into getting a recorder of some sort then. Do you tend to go straight into them from a pedal board or mic up a cab and go in that way?

Buy as much simultaneous and at the same time tracking as you can, this stuff is cheap and getting cheaper all the time. Then, record as many ways at once as you want or can, more is better when you get done.

rct

rct makes a good point..

That zoom is a great little unit and while 8 tracks, it is only 2 simultaneous. And only one of them is Hi-Z.

Depends on what you intend on doing. For me as a basement hack I can get by with 2.

Although I would like to have the ability to mic my friends drum kit so I am forced to using a couple of mics at best.

rct makes a good point..

That zoom is a great little unit and while 8 tracks, it is only 2 simultaneous. And only one of them is Hi-Z.

Depends on what you intend on doing. For me as a basement hack I can get by with 2.

Although I would like to have the ability to mic my friends drum kit so I am forced to using a couple of mics at best.

That's exactly why I got the Zoom R16. I'm a drummer and I can record 8 tracks simultaneously.

In the end it has to do with what you're recording.

A girl and a guitar is different than a punk band.

A guy who plays piano and wants to use VSTi to create some symphonic masterpiece is similar to the girl who wants to make EDM using VSTi as well. Neither would ever have use for a mic.

What are you recording, dude?

In the end it has to do with what you're recording.

A girl and a guitar is different than a punk band.

A guy who plays piano and wants to use VSTi to create some symphonic masterpiece is similar to the girl who wants to make EDM using VSTi as well. Neither would ever have use for a mic.

What are you recording, dude?

Im basically just recording guitar and bass atm because thats what I play. Im forming a band currently so I'd probably in the distant future want to be able to record a 5 piece hard rock/metal band. I had a look at these R8's and R16's but they're pretty expensive. I wouldn't be able to afford the recorder and then mic's as well

The future is with recorders, rather than audio interfaces & computers, IMO. The only reason they ever had audio interfaces in the first place is because they didn't make good economical digital recorders at the time.

You can send the tracks over to your computer and then mix them with cubase or whatever. [thumbup]

No, this is wrong. It all depends on your application. That little stand-alone recorder you referring to does in fact contain an interface. As long as your using analog signal you will always need an interface to connect and convert it to a digital signal regardless of what system your using.

Both types of systems have gotten better and will keep moving in that direction, the stand-alone recorder's (dedicated) will get smaller and will be moved/incorporated into other portable devices and will improve in quality as well (we're already seeing this last part). Non-dedicated system's will continue to advance with more function and more compatibility with other devices and protocol/format's until there is more universal/standard's making sharing easier.

When your talking about recording a full band with lot's of mic/line input's you can't easily get around a size limitation that you need for plugging in all the cable's, I have 48 in and 26 out (balanced analog), there all crammed into 2 rack-space sized unit's. You can get a lot smaller if you just want 1 or 2 in's and out's and there are card's that fit internally on a computer's mother-board slot's that have brake-out cable's for lot's of in's and out's but I don't like cramming so much stuff in my CPU case.

I record a lot of ideas on my phone,

I do that too...I will think of tunes at the oddest moments and then, if I don't record them, they are lost.

I get them before falling asleep or just before I wake up...I'm dazed a lot of the times when they come.

Glad someone else does this, I feel silly doing it; humming, "dadadada Daaaaa" into my phone, lol.

Archived