Gibson Brands Forums

Recording your tracks

krock

I know this has been talked about before but since technology is ever changing it would be nice to hear updated info rather than scour the web for outdated info. I'm thinking of recording some sound clips and I was interested in knowing how you guys do it and any techniques you use to help give you "your sound". I'm most likely going to buying some sort of mic and usb audio interface at some point as well so any info you guys can give me on these would help significantly, as would listing the software you use.

I picked up one of those little Yamaha Pocketrak digital recorders off Craigslist a few years ago. There are similar ones by Zoom and some other brands. It's pretty simple to operate and records in to WAV files. I use some kind of Microsoft converter if I need it in MP3 format. It's really only good for "live" recording though. No multi track or anything.

Computer wise I still use Garageband on the mac side . I tried Mixcraft6 much like Garageband for pc its pretty good.

I`ve since switched to IK Multimedia I use their I-rig and Steath plug great for both mac and pc along with their software

lots of free downloads Hand held I use Zoom.

I've had a an Audio Mobile pre USB for about 4 years now. Easy for me to learn and use. Solid cable connections. I'm using Mixcraft 6 software with it. The Mixcraft has a vast array of capabilities that I'll never even use, but what it gives me is an extremely easy learning curve so that I can setup and start recording something old or brand new in a matter of minutes. I don't have to be a sound engineer.

Oh man I got more recoding stuff then you can shake a stick at! Thats what happens when you go to a Recording School and get an AS in Recording Art's (like I did in 1998).

I have a few dedicated and non-dedicated recorders/system's, my main system (the highest quality) is on a 2007 Mac Pro that is very out dated OS wise but still has a good core of memory and processing power. My favorite software is Digital Performer, I only have DP5 atm but will up-grade to DP7 or DP8 as soon as I can get the rest of the computer up-graded and I use a MOTU 24i for converting. I have Audacity on my 2 year old Custom Built PC but it isn't working atm so I don't have anything usable for "good" audio on that computer atm. I tried Logic Pro and a Mastering Bundle that was an add-on extra for Logic on PC back in 2006, can't say I liked it so I uninstalled it, I couldn't return it so it's still in it's box. I've got a nicer/newer converter box (MOTU 24 I/O) but it's in a safe storage place as the older 24i works fine for my current need's, I also have a few older Mac's with Digital Performer on them that still work but there older & less useful version's so they to are in safe storage.

I've got some analog recorders that are dinosaurs but they still work, I also have a Tascam Dr2d that's nice for location audio and sound's very good if I use a mixer to pre-amp a nice microphone to it, cheap internal mic's are sorta flat and dull sounding but it is a Tascam so it's very reliable & user friendly.

I've got some nice mic's but no really good mic's as I'd not want to spend a bunch of cash on good mic's and have one brake on me, the best mic I have is a AT 4047sv, it doesn't come out of it's case to often as I have 2 Studio Projects C1's that do a good job and cost a 3rd as much as the 4047sv. My Lip-stick (small diaphragm condenser's) mic's have all but died on me (there just older) except one of the unidirectional's. AT 3031 & 3032 model's respectably, again there less then $200 new out of the box so no since in trying to fix them. Nice & good mic's are fragile so they will brake on you, the good one's are worth repairing as they are so expensive it's not a big deal to spend $200 or $300 to fix them. This is all about a condenser mic's as a dynamic mic you can almost throw it across the room and it would still be good to go (I'd not recommended you do that).

The secret of getting a good sound is the room your recording in and how you place "the" microphone on your subject, it's going to be a lot of trial and error if your room's aren't built & prepped for recording. But if you take some time and test different areas of your house with different mic's and mic-placement's you can get a usable recording, it's not going to sound stellar but it will sound ok. After that it's all about how to use EQ in a mix, I have made some recording's in my house with no EQing after the fact but EQ is the main tool in a tool-box for mixing.

I'd suggest you book a few hours in a local "working studio" and just chat with one of the guy's that does this recording thing for a living and find out what it's like to make recording's before you go spending a wadd on gear.

The future is with recorders, rather than audio interfaces & computers, IMO. The only reason they ever had audio interfaces in the first place is because they didn't make good economical digital recorders at the time.

You can send the tracks over to your computer and then mix them with cubase or whatever. [thumbup]

When I can be loud:

Mic'd Guitar Amp into Audio Interface

Pro Tools MP9

When I need to be quiet:

Pro Tools MP9 with Amplitube Plugin

And for both versions....a Guitar or two and a bass.

Sometimes I use a keyboard for some accents and piano/synth sounds.

if you're looking for a neat little "jack of all trades" rig, check out the Zoom R8. It can be AC, USB or battery powered, has built in condenser mics for quick recording, and can even function as an interface to your favorite PC digital recording software.

r8.jpg

if you're looking for a neat little "jack of all trades" rig, check out the Zoom R8. It can be AC, USB or battery powered, has built in condenser mics for quick recording, and can even function as an interface to your favorite PC digital recording software.

Ha,, I got that same unit. I agree. I like mine too.

I like the inputs that accept 1/4" jacks as well as XLR.

Comes with Cubase LE-6 which has a bit of a learning curve but it ain't rocket science. Or you don't even have to use it.

And I got a 32Gb card right away. The 2gb card it comes with is useless.

I don't like the drum sounds on it though. But I have borrowed an Alesis.

And I just got the footswitch for it which I haven't used yet but wished I had one so I ordered it.

I think it's a great little unit for the price and it's easy to use.

Ha,, I got that same unit. I agree. I like mine too.

I like the inputs that accept 1/4" jacks as well as XLR.

Comes with Cubase LE-6 which has a bit of a learning curve but it ain't rocket science. Or you don't even have to use it.

And I got a 32Gb card right away. The 2gb card it comes with is useless.

I don't like the drum sounds on it though. But I have borrowed an Alesis.

And I just got the footswitch for it which I haven't used yet but wished I had one so I ordered it.

I think it's a great little unit for the price and it's easy to use.

I didn't really care for the drum loops either, but then i tend to record my own drums anyway. :)

i do want to learn more about this thing's onboard sampler: it looks like it could be fun to play with.

I haven't used the sampler either. Just pretty basic recording so far. Mostly just playing around.

I'm a crappy drummer so no real drums for me unless I take it over to my buddy's place and get him to drum for me.

Programming the Alesis is a pain.. lol.

Archived