Gibson Brands Forums

Im going backwards..... new Double Cut body build

Rabs

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Farnsbarns

Searcy is, of course, correct. You can just move the bridge. You might also want to move the bridge pup but much easier than a new neck.

BTW. In my above post where I expressed that the 12th appeared to be in the right place my mental arithmetic let me down so I divided 24.75 in half in my head and came up with 12.625. Stupid boy (me that is)!

Even my copy/paste from the stew mac fret calculator contradicted me. Sigh, must pay ore attention.

Confusion over. Definitely the wrong scale length.

Oh no! Chaos!

I may have missed something while reading through the recent posts, but how did this come about mate?

By me not checking the scale length as it was sold to me as 24.75" but seems to be at least 25".... ALL of the fretboards I have received so far from other suppliers have been perfect.. This is the first time I used this supplier and I didn't check it and I assumed it was correct.. So just goes to show you.. [crying]

Hello again!

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Tools_by_Job/Measuring/Fret_Scale_Rule.html

This tool might be very useful.

Cheers... Bence

Searcy is, of course, correct. You can just move the bridge. You might also want to move the bridge pup but much easier than a new neck.

BTW. In my above post where I expressed that the 12th appeared to be in the right place my mental arithmetic let me down so I divided 24.75 in half in my head and came up with 12.625. Stupid boy (me that is)!

Even my copy/paste from the stew mac fret calculator contradicted me. Sigh, must pay ore attention.

Confusion over. Definitely the wrong scale length.

If it's 25" scale then all you need to do is move the TOM back a little so that the distance from the nut to the 12th fret is the same as the distance from the 12th fret to the saddles.

Thanks all... And yes.. That was my first guess and yes it seems it was correct.. however I don't want to drill in to that body any more for a few reasons.. So I decided to change the neck...

I will post some pics later.

And hello again..

Well, this build seems to be turning in to some kind of really bad soap opera or something :D

So as I mentioned above I decided to take the neck off.. I just really didn't want to have to mess with the body any more than I already have.. Ive done a bridge replacement before so its not that I cant.. and I have my reasons for going this route.

Well anyway its all done now so here goes...

Ahhhhhh! :P

DSC_1407_zpshvkv3eki.jpg

so sad.. just cos I was so close...

DSC_1408_zpsctrp3daj.jpg

DSC_1417_zpsgl5fe7lv.jpg

I will of course re-use the truss rod, no point wasting that

DSC_1411_zpswtw5rjul.jpg

And now for the new neck

DSC_1412_zps5qbwdk4t.jpg

DSC_1418_zpscxflcvxk.jpg

New neck pocket

DSC_1413_zps7ar3vtsd.jpg

DSC_1414_zpstf5nswpu.jpg

Also im getting that new half and half neck ready.. (actually its more of a quad design, maybe call it a harlequin :))

DSC_1420_zpsrdeocid3.jpg

And also the single cut is ready to be strung up.. I just haven't had the heart yet since the latest DC issue (what is it with that build?)

DSC_1415_zpsshh5c0tb.jpg

So there we are..

More soon [thumbup] (and I hope its not too frustrating to watch :unsure: ) (its very frustrating for me I can assure you)

[rolleyes]

so sad.. just cos I was so close...

DSC_1417_zpsgl5fe7lv.jpg

(and I hope its not too frustrating to watch :unsure: ) (its very frustrating for me I can assure you)

[rolleyes]

Oh my. :o [crying][crying]

I actually groaned out loud at this pic.

But I will still want a go on it.

Best wishes Rabs.....

Oh my. :o [crying][crying]

I actually groaned out loud at this pic.

But I will still want a go on it.

Best wishes Rabs.....

Yup.. don't worry.. In the words of the great Arnie... It WILL be back :)

I have the technology to rebuild her

Shame to see the old neck in pieces, but if it had to be done, it had to be done.

You should save the headstock, though. I've got a small collection of headstocks from guitars that broke in places where new headstocks are the only solution, and I plan on making napkin holders out of them. You take two headstocks, you make a base, you glue 'em about half an inch apart, and dinner guests have something to talk about. Speaking of which... the Epi Les Paul Custom with the new headstock should be done gassing out today. I'm a-gonna go burn through some nitro... I really hate level sanding. [scared]

Shame to see the old neck in pieces, but if it had to be done, it had to be done.

You should save the headstock, though. I've got a small collection of headstocks from guitars that broke in places where new headstocks are the only solution, and I plan on making napkin holders out of them. You take two headstocks, you make a base, you glue 'em about half an inch apart, and dinner guests have something to talk about. Speaking of which... the Epi Les Paul Custom with the new headstock should be done gassing out today. I'm a-gonna go burn through some nitro... I really hate level sanding. [scared]

I actually think it will be a better guitar in the end... So heres hoping...

And yes.. Sanding... the bain of my life :)

Evenin all...

Today is a much better day.. The single cut is FINISHED and I mean really finished.. :D I did the final setup today and no stupid scale length issues.. its all gravy [thumbup]

So as per usual heres a bunch of shots of the finished item :)

DSC_1411_zpsyeo3mmxn.jpg

5ed02168-c856-4095-a0a6-1983c8c19afc_zps1gfcc1ny.jpg

DSC_1414_zpsdmqmzhbx.jpg

DSC_1418_zpsywpkeb4e.jpg

59ebd09f-a11e-46e9-b9de-0bedfd41ae27_zpshq2i6iru.jpg

I love the way the wood looks like a solid colour from some angles..

92be29ad-4f9a-4833-aeb1-1d8656ddbf19_zps6dkkitth.jpg

So that's all done.. I will get a vid or sound clip up in the next few days... [thumbup]

Meanwhile I have two necks that got a radius today (I hate that job) and tomorrow both will get some frets :)

DSC_1420_zpsy5np7w0q.jpg

And I have glued the maple veneer to the headstock..

DSC_1422_zpsjabpju18.jpg

So that's all moving forward nicely.. I had to order some new RabsWood logos which should turn up next Tuesday or Wednesday.. so I will make sure this new neck is ready for it when they turn up...

Well there we are... Soon this mistake will just be a distant memory and I can just keep moving forwards... When I have these next couple of guitars done I will then work on my web site which is the next big thing for me.. Im doing it myself now so I will take a week or so off building till that's done.

More soon.. [thumbup]

Stating the bleeding obvious it's a massive shame the neck they sent you had the wrong scale-length.

On the brighter side it's all just wood so it's no worse than a few steps backwards - and a waste of your time and efforts.

On the REALLY bright side...

The single cut is FINISHED and I mean really finished....................:D................[thumbup]

DSC_1411_zpsyeo3mmxn.jpg

That single cut looks absolutely stunning! In all honesty I absolutely love the way it looks!

Massive congrats to you, sir.

eusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gif

How does it sound in 'real life'? Soundclips are all very well but, for a start, my PC's sound-card & speakers are pretty rubbish.

And apologies for going slightly off-topic for a second;

...Sigh, must pay ore attention...

[lol]

That had me in a fit of giggles, Farns.....

[lol]

Pip.

Stating the bleeding obvious it's a massive shame the neck they sent you had the wrong scale-length.

On the brighter side it's all just wood so it's no worse than a few steps backwards - and a waste of your time and efforts.

On the REALLY bright side...

That single cut looks absolutely stunning! In all honesty I absolutely love the way it looks!

Massive congrats to you, sir.

eusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gif

How does it sound in 'real life'? Soundclips are all very well but, for a start, my PC's sound-card & speakers are pretty rubbish.

Pip.

Thank you sir :) And yes I think my selection of hardware and finishing options has improved since I started all of this... so its nice to hear other people like them too (which is what I want after all :))

And yes.. it is only wood.. and these projects so far have no owners so its not really the end of the earth when these things go wrong.. just quite frustrating when you just wanna finish the darn thing already and this DC build if I were making it for a customer would have cost me badly. But that's why im spending all this time learning and getting it right [thumbup]

As for how it sounds.. well I only tested it briefly through a £19.99 Gibson practice amp which doesn't really tell me how good its going to sound when I put it through my 4 track or my amp.. BUT from what I heard, it sounds good [thumbup] (hopefully you can find out yourself at the next RabsWood jam :)

Hello all,

So yes as you may have seen from the threads sub title.. I first have a confession to make..

You know how I said that I did this all myself.. Well I have to tell you that master luthier Betssie has been helping me out.. She gave me a master class today on fretting :)

DSC_1410_zpsuxejnank.jpg

DSC_1413_zpsn2woqsyh.jpg

DSC_1414_zpsfkp6vg4m.jpg

DSC_1411_zps9fqhcyoa.jpg

As you can see.. she really knows what shes doing ;)

17277278-7306-416d-8937-d91e99099733_zpsdk9aw3sl.jpg

DSC_1419_zpsjutfeby2.jpg

DSC_1421_zpsylk036rv.jpg

So there we have it... :D

Hehe.. well two necks mostly done so next week they will get proper tennons and a neck profile (we will see how Betssie handles my angle grinder :D)

And then I can glue the darn thing back on the body.. and the new half and half will really get going next week too...

So as always. Thanks for watching and have a great weekend one and all.. [thumbup]

Hello all and welcome back...

Today I finally glued the new neck on the DC.. YAY :)

68d49d41-4e21-4fd5-9486-15d7ed71bfaf_zps2hl6bg9u.jpg

Angle sorted [thumbup]

DSC_1422_zpssgl57msd.jpg

And im sure this one is correct.. as ive used these boards before...

So that's cool, we will see what happens here tomorrow.

Meanwhile ive also been working on that half and half.. Did the neck pocket today.. and also I routed for the binding and did a small round over on the back... I reckon this one is gonna be cool.. Im also going to be putting a boost switch in this one so should be interesting too :)

DSC_1427_zpsdii1ywvg.jpg

DSC_1428_zpskszs6r1j.jpg

DSC_1430_zpspgfj5cgr.jpg

DSC_1432_zpsxcwox3fd.jpg

Cool.. so tomorrow we will see if I was successful with the DC and this new build may get its neck glued [thumbup]

Thanks for watching and more soon :)

Awesome stuff, especially your master luthier's help!

Cheers man..

I will be happy when this DC build is over (one way or another :unsure: ) it has been a pain almost since day 1.. Still theres been some good lessons learned.. so worth it in the end I guess :)

Evenin all...

Hmm, where to start..

Well I didn't actually string the DC up today.. To be totally honest (and this is hard to say) from my brief look at it with a ruler I have my suspicions that something is still not right... I really didn't have the heart to do it today so I just carried on making the neck.. I donno, this guitar doesn't seem to want to be built??

Anyway...

Well heres the neck all carved up.. I almost like that look of a dark body and light neck, but not for this build...

DSC_1413_zps76mg8icv.jpg

while you can obviously see the join I don't think it will look too bad once stained and finished... I should have taken the pocket back an extra mm or so and that line would have looked even better.

DSC_1410_zpssphmqreh.jpg

And with some stain on

DSC_1414_zpsltipagqf.jpg

DSC_1416_zpssljk003w.jpg

DSC_1429_zpsurejhe40.jpg

Ready for an oiling

DSC_1448_zpsgzohfjqj.jpg

So also today I was looking at how im going to make the control cavity on the half and half and what shape its going to be....

DSC_1408_zps6u2plz1r.jpg

And I also did the binding for it today.. I have developed an interesting patent applied for anti super glue finger method :) (it actually works really well)

DSC_1439_zpsvamd6ffu.jpg

White

DSC_1440_zps8qqr7lg6.jpg

Then black (like the single cut, which I really like the look of)

DSC_1442_zpszifggfwm.jpg

So that's all for today... Tomorrow I guess I will have to try stringing the blue DC up.. im really not looking forward to it, but it has to be done... So we will see..

And I may glue the new DCs neck.. we will see what happens.

More soon.. :) [thumbup]

Your work continues to blow my mind,, and now that I know you had HELP, it's all starting to make sense!

no but seriously this is awesome stuff Rabs

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Lol :)

Cheers man... And yes, well, this DC build has put a small dent in my confidence... But im trying... The single cut would be amazing bar one small issue which is that the highest frets are kinda tough to get too but manageable.. so its not a total bummer but could be better... I may decide to add a small bevel on the cut away which would probably rectify that but at the same time I don't really wanna mess with it....

So. I donno. While these builds and my ideas are getting better.. I still haven't as of yet built a guitar that's perfect.. And I mean when I say that, perfect enough to sell (or attempt to sell [rolleyes] ) .. They all play well and sound good they just arnt quite there cosmetically.. So this new Double cut will hopefully turn out to be my bench mark :)

Archived